The hidden

THE HIDDEN: BEYOND NEW WATER
01 WORK COMMUTE
SEGMENT 098
“PASSAGE INTO ELDEEN: PRELUDE PART V”
7/18/17

EYRE 15, 913 SMALL NEARLY DESTROYED TOWN IN SOUTHERN KARRNATH NEAR CYRE

FELDRIX DRAGOR, once a peaceful farmer before joining the military in 894YK waited impatiently in secret. He and the rest of the squad #387 were successfully reanimated. Though as skeletons, their bones thickened and the density increased. He, now known as #387-20, retained his past memories though the others did not. One cleric thought he may have relived his life through his dying memories or simply loved life too much to give it up- even in death or undead status.

Cyre was horrified and turned to retreat very quickly when they faced the undead of Karrnath’s soldiers past and present. This only lasted for a few battles. Then they tried to battle the hordes but found #387-20 and the other undead not so easy to kill. Perhaps they became over confident with the easy victories.

On Eyre 15, 913 they faced a Cyran arcane archery squad. The cowards. But the magic used was either well timed or very lucky. Karrnath had taken back the training Monastery when they struck. The stone building was collapsed and destroyed many of the #387 Squad. But a few were left intact. Intact but trapped.

Rhaan 10, 996 SOUTHERN KARRNATH NEAR BORDER OF THE MOURNLANDS

The war had destroyed much of southern and western Karrnath. The Ministry of Justice were placed in charge of locating lost soldiers and retrieving war time relics. Assistant Ministry of the Lost, Agent Major Greedon Duskweave was placed in charge of the old monasteries located along the Cyre River. He and a dozen government workers found the Training grounds of the Red Fist White Foot . This unique small group of Monks were trained in hand to hand combat and the powers of the mind.

Three members of the 387 squad were also intact. Feldrix Dragor was but one. Feldrix was unprepared for the world before him. No war. No Cyre. No family. No friends. What was to become of his future? The answer was given very quickly to him. As part of the Thronehold Concords, the undead were to be either destroyed or replaced into the crypts.

Not truly believing he would ever be reawakened or set free, Feldrix escaped and headed west. He traveled through sections of Karrnath and even into Cyre. Rhaan 14, 999 he left the Mournlands and proceeded across northern Breland. Here he heard of the threat of the fiends and barbarians in Eldeen and thought he may do good by traveling there. Maybe he would be accepted. However, ever where he went, he was singled out as being an undead.

The Eldeen battles also ended by time he reached the border of Breland and Aundair. On Orulune 12, 1000, he heard of rumors of a strange new land in the Shadow Marches, New Water. Thus he started for a means to travel there.

01 WORK COMMUTE
SEGMENT 099
“PASSAGE INTO ELDEEN: PRELUDE PART VI”
7/18/17

Barrakas 18, 978 “TAVERN” IN RHUKAAN DRAAL, DARGUUN

The Bloody Nail is a rough (even for Darguun) tavern. It is late in the day and rather quiet still. Several hobgoblins are sitting together drinking. They are in a somber and quietly angry mood. They have received word their chieftain was killed in his sleep within Breland. An assassin from Cyre is the believed killer.

A slender woman walks in. At first glance they think she is an elf and snarl and tense up when seeing her. However, her odd dress and hairstyle suggests she is a Kalashtar. Not much better but their obscene use of her mind keeps their weapons leaning against the tables and chairs.

She steps up to a stool and frowns at the stains and damage on it. Mentally she sits above the stool rather than on it. In goblin she asks what is happening in Darguun and Khorvaire at this point. The bugbear bartender stares at her to determine if she is kidding. She is not.

“War. Killing. Death.”

“How boring. War War War everywhere.” She answers. “And him?” She points to a passed out hobgoblin in the corner.

A hobgoblin grunts out “Him? Hahah. That is Druugos. He only drinks.”

“Truly. But I see a good soul…. Just lost in his own private…. War you could say.”

The hobgoblins miss her slim attempt at humor. They grunt a non-committal grunt and go about their own drinks.

She stares at him for several more minutes before leaving.

That night, Druugos awakens and stumbles out of the tavern to relieve himself. The three hobgoblins from before stop when they see him in the alley of the broken buildings. “You have money? We want more drink.”

“Go…. Away. Please.” Says the slender hobgoblin. “I wish to piss in peace.”

“You have money. We have thirst. We need to honor our chieftain until the morning.” Small clubs slide into view in their hands.

They rush him. Even drunken, the trained martial artist avoids the first swing making the gobliniod clumsy and slow looking. The second one misses with his swing but plows into him. Now prone and face first in a puddle the three team-up on him. They kick, stomp and club at him. His vision loses focus and as he blacks out he sees a light.

The three would-be robbers turn and reveal a tall winged creature. To the glassy eyes of Druugos, it is an angel. One hobgoblin suddenly is air born. He screams in surprise then grunts as he strikes a wall and goes silent. Brightly colored wings strike down a second. The third flees.

As Druugos passes out, he remembers hearing it speak to him. It is disappointed with him. Ashamed of what he has become. He can regain his honor. Find the Silver flame.

When he awakens next, he feels cleansed of the alcohol. He is alive and vibrant.

Years pass as he sets out on a pilgrimage to find the Silver Flame.

On Eyre 26, 989 he crosses into Thrane. Though he meets a great deal of resistance, he is allowed to study with the children in a small hamlet near Aundair. This brings approval from a young knight whom begins to train him in the martial beliefs of the religion. Finding his previous training is greater than his own, the knight has him join a little known monastery that teaches divine magic along with spiritual might and being.

His teacher was no ordinary teacher. He too was not a race thought to join the Silver Flame. Kyrak, a Kenku.

The Cardinals of the Silver Flame came to the Kenku. They have had little progress spreading their beliefs into the Shadow Marches and the Orcs living there. Perhaps he could do better. Instead they set Druugos Ashfang on his first true mission for the Silver Flame.

01 WORK COMMUTE
SEGMENT 100
“PASSAGE INTO ELDEEN: PRELUDE PART VII”
7/18/17

RHAAN 3, 993 REGALPORT, LHAZZAR PRINCIPALITIES

ZIGLAND, OR ZIGGY…. Even ZIG was known well by the various shop owners and locals. The Changeling pick pocket hated to steal to get by but one does what they must to eat and live.

He tried to be fair about it. Whenever possible, he did not knowingly steal from the same person within a year. Though this seemed fair to him, others did not see it that way. One person whom hated being pick pocketed was a Master Chef Talmeo d’Ghallandra. When house Cannith created the Thieves’ Coin (cursed coin that if stolen cannot be discarded and acts as a beacon to anyone holding the ring linked to the coin Creation Schema- Cedious) Talmeo was the first to purchase one in Regalport.

As one would expect, Ziggy was the first to discover it as he stole the planted coin from the halfling’s pocket and was later found hiding in an abandoned building.

“Why did you steal from me?” asked the serious halfling.

“I was hungry.” Answered the changeling.

After studying his natural face for a few moments in silence, he asks if he would return the other coins for a free meal. Even though he did not know the halfling worked as a professional cook he agreed. This was the first time Ziggy had ever gone into a restaurant, even more so a top star restaurant in Regalport where the Princes ate.

Ziggy stared in awe looking at the cooking tools, magical and standard. His mouth watered at the smell of the spices and slowly cooking food. It was incredible. It was like a paradise. “How did you learn to cook like this?”

With a stroked ego, the smiling halfling laughed and told him about his childhood. He grew up in the Talenta Plains. Much of his experience was field research in the beginning. He traveled to the many nomadic tribes. He learned how to identify and prepare spices and certain foods. Soon his knowledge gained awareness and he came to train in Aundair. After mastering the selections of wine and wheats, he traveled to Karrnath. Here he learned of spiced meats and roots. Mhor Holds taught him about strong alcohol and less refined uses of strong spices and flavored mushrooms. Then when he reached the coast he learned about fish and seafood from the villages and even the pirates.

“Never assume no one can add to your cooking knowledge because of their race, nationality or class. Many of the “primitive” races have used seasoning in ways never thought of that surpasses the elves.”

It was not until Ziggy became a prep cook in Talmeo’s restaurant that he learned of a secret process used. Alchemy. “Alchemy and the use of mixtures of spices are very similar. Most fail but some combinations…. So so so good.”

So, Ziggy began to learn alchemy now. It was a good life until a certain young government man came by looking for a pirate named One Brow.

01 WORK COMMUTE
SEGMENT 101
“PASSAGE INTO ELDEEN: PRELUDE PART VIII”
7/18/17

ZANANTYR 20, 996 REGALPORT, LHAZZAR PRINCIPALITIES

Business was booming. The war was winding down allowing for more travel from merchants and other wealthy people. Ziggy had just prepared his first original dish- a lovely swordfish with crushed Cuda Berry sauce on seasoned rice. He was mixing the local favorites with food from Q’Barra. Talmeo was proud.

One this icy wintery day they had a bard come to play. It was another of Ziggy’s ideas that Talmeo found was excellent. The changeling had incredible people skills and understood their preferences and moods.

“Talmeo, I had a wonderful dream last night.” He gushed.

“I hope it had a woman in your life. I worry about you not going out. Meeting others.” Answers the Master Chef as he dices up some carrots for a stew.

“It did involve meeting others…. But not like you suggested.” Talmeo smiles. He knows what is coming. Ziggy also has a gift of gab. He will speak non-stop until closing. “I want to do what you did. I want to learn as you did.”

He stops cutting. “oh?”

“I want to travel the world….. even further away…. And explore the food and tastes they have to offer. Then not only will I cook for everyone, but I will teach others just you did for me. Well…. Not quite the same.”

“You were listening to that Sivis fella again.”

“No. Yes. I want to write a book.”

Though it bothers the halfling some (giving out trade secrets is frowned on…. Especially for a mere copper or two) he tries to be patient with the excitable changeling. “A book…… do you think just anyone can cook an Aundarian Blue Tailed Peasant in Black Berry and Strawberry sauce?”

Before either can continue, the bus boy, Gillard (1/2 elf orphan) , rushes in. “Talmeo! Talmeo!”

The halfling gives a stern stare from his side of the prep table. Taking a moment to collect himself- the young teenager starts again. “Master Chef Talmeo- You asked me to tell you directly if there was any trouble on the tables…. Col. Barkkus has entered. He has his usual followers with him.”

“Not good. Not good at all. Very well. Zig- watch the soup. Don’t let it burn or I’ll burn you. Show me the way.”

Several customers are leaving with their plates only half eaten. Others are quickly trying to finish their meals before leaving. All but two tables. One has the flirting young man dressed in black. Talmeo never thought that was a good omen. And at the other occupied table sits a wide shouldered human with several thick coats on and two belts. One belt has pouches and the other has a small mace with a jewel on it. Around him are three equally large men that even tougher than the Colonel. Rumor has it, the Colonel is wanted by Breland for war crimes. Something about the sinking of several ships of peace and supplies for the homeless.

“Oh dear. Oh Dear. Oh Dear…… Gentlemen…… what can we get for you?”

“Strong drink for my men and stronger drink for mez.” Declares the wanted man.

“And for you sir?”

The dark Lantern turns on his seat and looks at the four sitting customers. “Justice for 34 innocent sailors…. Brelish sailors….. and the return of the supplies meant for the people caught up in the ugly dealings of Karrnath and others.”

The Colonel snarls a curse that makes the halfling swallow hard and Zig to peer out of the kitcken. “Brelander Scum!”

“Sticks and Stones may break my bones but your lack of imagination hurts me most. Colonel Barkkus, you are wanted for war crimes of-“

“Tell it to the Deneith Flounders. They accused me of something that sounded like fun also. And boy- it was 38 sailors. Get it right.”

“Sir! Sir please….”

“Name is Play. John Play.”

One hour later, Talmeo, Ziggy and Gillard decided it was time to explore new horizons. Breland sounded good. Especially since the restaurant was leveled and in flames (fires and alchemy chemicals don’t mix- go figure) and they were being taken to Sharn as eye witnesses to the “safe” capture of the Colonel.

01 WORK COMMUTE
SEGMENT 102
“PASSAGE INTO ELDEEN: PRELUDE PART IX”
7/18/17

VULT 21, 996 SHARN, BRELAND

“I had that dream again Talmeo. This time I know the title also- “Salt or Pepper, Rat or Bug”

“What kind of name is that?!?

“I was thinking about traveling to Droaam”

“Damned Gnolls were here again. Business had such better clientele on the islands.”

“Yes they were hear but no- they don’t even like bugs.”

The halfling puts down his knife and leans on the table. “Very well. Travel. Explore. Research. Learn. And most importantly- visit.”

“Often Master Chef! Often!” and the halfling is greatly annoyed but returns the hug.

His travels brought him through southern Breland. He traveled with a real Valenar war clan for a short time. He made many discoveries and a few mistakes (Harpries don’t like the suggestion of sampling their eggs) and decided that Trolls are truly disgusting creatures with terrible eating habits. He would spend a few months at various restaurants and groups sharing his knowledge and theirs. He tried to avoid sharing alchemy with most groups. Alchemy is only for blowing up things to most groups in Droaam. However, he did learn of an awesome recipe for soup that was so acidic, it burned flesh and cloth. It was an gargoyle seasoning mishap.

VULT 6, 999
Ziggy returns finally to Master Chef Talmeo’s restaurant. It has moved and has become much more up scale. It is located in the upper reaches of the towers near Morgrave. The explorers come here with money and empty stomachs after months of eating road rations.

They compare notes and recipes. Some intrigue Talmeo. A desert spice made from lightly fried cacti could be perfect for his roasted potato recipe that is so close to perfection….. Ziggy decides to spend some time at his restaurant and relax a bit. Decide where to go next. Back to Droaam? Xen’drik?

VULT 12, 999
“For the end of the year I will be moving on.” Says Ziggy as he is cutting up the roots and spouts.

“Where to?”

“West again. Eldeen maybe.”

“Why there? The creatures there were dangerous enough but now barbarians and fiends run throughout the woods. Dragons and storms also. Why there?” asks the halfling mentor.

“Why not? Why travel to the islands? Why travel to the dwarven lands? To learn. I want to learn as you have.”

Gillard, the kitcken helper, comes in. “A costumer wishes to see you. It is about the food you prepared.”

Talmeo smiles widely. He hops from his stool and begins to remove his apron. “Master Chef- I am sorry. It is Ziggy he wishes to see.”

Slightly embarrassed, the changeling shuffles towards the door. He feels bad for his mentor. He feels as if he has taken something from him. It is past time to move on.

Gillard leads the changeling cook to the table. There is a half-elf male dressed in fine cloth and silk with bits of cultural pieces on a necklace and wristband. Across from him is a bald human with black leather and pieces of dark metal on it.

“Master Viorr Maelak may I introduce the chef of your meal- Chef Zigland.”

Maelak looks up and seems surprised that Zigland is not only a changeling but doesn’t mind allowing everyone to know this fact. “This Peasant is most excellent. I have not had anything near its equal. I thankyou greatly for this simple but grand pleasure.”

“Yes, what seasoning did you use?” asks the young man. “It seems…. Well similar to a spice I had in Darguun.”

“Sorry…. Trade secret.” Answers Zig with a slight but honorable bow. “And I thank you Master….”

“Faerun….. Athas Faerun. I am a teacher at the Morgrave University. I am here asking for aid and backing for an expedition to the Shadow Marches.”

“Someday I hope to go there. To research for my book about cooking of course.”

“Not the adventuring type?” asks the calm but friendly Maelak (Head of the Sharn Dark Lanterns).

“I go where the spices are.”

“Perhaps I will see you there Zig. It would be a pleasure.”

01 WORK COMMUTE
SEGMENT 103
“PASSAGE INTO ELDEEN: PRELUDE X”
7/18/17

VULT 26, 999 HATHERIL, BRELAND

The Changeling Chef is tired. He is seen laughing and joking all of the time. Why? Because no one will accept him as a Changeling. He straightens out his cloth head piece and lets out a long and loud sigh and continues onward through the snow frosted fields in Northern Breland.

It is quite boring. He thinks of different recipes and possibilities he can make and may in the future. On the way a storm begins to gather. It is time to find cover. He has little to no luck but then spots tracks on the side of the road. Strange, why would anyone walk off the main road in the snow? Curious he follows the tracks into the woods.

Following the tracks he finds an area where a second set of tracks meets with the first. Stranger yet. Hoping to resolve this mystery and maybe find shelter, he continues on.

The two sets of tracks lead into a cave. Uncertain at what to do calls into the cave.

Nothing.

Then he feels a strange sensation come over him. He can’t move. His heart beats faster as he begins to panic. His panic increases as an armored man dressed in black armor with a grey cloak with light blue lining comes out of the cave. Ziggy tries to speak to apologize and let him leave but finds he can not even speak. The man turns him over so as to place him on his shoulder. Now his heart is racing. He has red eyes and no lips! Its either one of those Mockery freaks or an undead creature come to eat him!

The undead creature carries him with ease through the entrance into the dark. He wanders further through the dark until Ziggy can just make out some light…. A fire.

“Place the interloper over there government slave.” Ziggy can not see the man but fears he is worse than the undead that carried him in. Then the man walks over to Ziggy with rope drawn between his hands as if to garrote him. He is dressed in black and grey with green trim. The brooch holding his black cape on is a small green fire roughly in the shape of a clawed hand. To Ziggy’s discomfort, one eye is white and milky. Blinded by some past battle.

Once tied the man snaps and releases his hand Ziggy finds he can move once more. “Why have you done this to me?!? I was merely seeking shelter!”

“Changeling,” he states as a fact. “You have no rite to a shelter.” The man slaps him. Holding his now stinging hand, the man returns to his work. The armored honor guard undead watches.

Ziggy takes in his surroundings. There is a few bags and packs here, a sheathed long sword and few other things of little use. Once he finishes with his work, he once more holds up his brooch and makes some declarations of command and control over the skeleton. The Control of undead reconfirmed, he walks back to the Changeling and looks through his traveling pack.

Scowling, Ziggy watches as the cleric of the Blood of Vol and member of the Emerald Claw, begins to spill out his pack onto the cavern floor. He looks most closely at the many glass vials and jars which he examines carefully before lining up in a row.

“Sage.”

“Thyme?”

“Curry”

“Blue Mushroom”

“Are you a mage or a druid? Is Thyme used as an ingredient to a Haste spell? Curry…. To curry a favor… like a charm spell?”

The Changeling says nothing. He merely frowns and honestly, looks like he could cry.

“What kind of mage are you?!?” He demands and stands up quickly while drawing back his hand for another strong strike.

“The cooking kind! I’m a Chef!”

“a….chef….?” Ha. Hah. Really? A hah-ha chef!” and he begins to laugh uncontrollably.

“And a damned good one too! I was trained by the Master Chef Talmeo.”

“You jest. I have eaten at his restaurant in Regalport. It was the very best Yellow Grouper I have ever had. It was…. Spectacular.”

“I worked in that restaurant. I remained in the kitcken. Learning.”

The cleric looks him over carefully. He is trying to figure out the untrustworthy shape changer. “You use these as… seasonings?”

“Many, yes.”

“What would you use on field deer?”

“I got a lot in there. What else could I have? Veggies? Potatoes?”

The cleric has the look of a man about to do something he knows he shouldn’t. “Have potatoes, a few canned goods and a fresh deer I stole from a cabin nearby.”

“Tenderized venison with crème of berry and potato twice cooked with seasoned cheese. Maybe a strong drink even. I have dappled with spirits some.”

“Tell me how too.” He says with a hint of desperation.

“Can not do. It is an art. It is about the mixture and timing of the temperature worked cooking. I would have to be free to do it. I could show you then.”

Unseen by either, the red pin lights of the skeleton shifts from Changeling to Cleric and back. He can not do anything but obey the cleric and hope. Hope for the Changeling whom is playing with fire.

Within an hour, Ziggy is cooking away. Every move is watched and calculated. The cleric wishes to learn but understands the cook may try a trick on him.

“Is it done?”

“Almost. Do you wish to try it?”

“Yes but first…..” the wily and cautious cleric castes a detection spell on the foods. No poison.

The cleric then has the Changeling try it also, just to be safe. He digs in and the greedy cleric stops him. “The food portions are to MY discretion shape changer.” And he spoons on twice what Ziggy had. He sighs and sits back…. “and it would go so good with the dessert.”

“Dessert?” the cleric says nearly spitting out some of the potato.

“I didn’t have a proper kitchen stove so it is slightly burnt …. Makes it darker in color.”

The man shovels the last of the sauced venison into his mouth and grabs the apple fraps.

He takes a bite and his face lightens up. “Ahhhhh….. so good. I can not place the spice. Not cinnamon…. What is it?”

Making up something quick he calls it Pastry Spice- a mix of popular spices.

He recasts the control undead again then reties the Changeling. He apologizes for it but this is the nature of his work.

The Changeling sits and winks at the undead. He wonders what the crafty Changeling has done.

About an hour later, just after the cleric has gone to sleep he grunts and his stomach gurgles. Ziggy shape changes slightly and wiggles free of the not so well tied ropes.

Suddenly the cleric’s eyes shoot open and he produces a very foul order from his back side. He barfs from his own smell. Ziggy slowly walks over and pokes through the belongings. “ki…ki….”

“What’s wrong? Cat got your tongue?”

Barrrrf…… ki…ki……

He picks up a parka and a blanket. “I thought you would distrust me. Knew you would have me eat some of it first. Suspected you would even spell check it for poison. Funny about how that spell works and cooking in general.”

The cleric is about to once more try to command the undead to attack him… to kill him. He is so sick he cannot even get beyond rolling to his knees.

“Master Chef Talmeo taught me many lessons. Most were how to create the perfect meal. However, he also knows a few things about mixing seasoning. See, the venison had a spice in it that grows warmer as it is introduced to an acid. The “burnt” edges on the dessert that you rudely ate all of was not crispy edges. It was this…..” He holds a bottle with a fluid in it.

“So…… as I said, I expected a few things from you. You ate the spice that reacts to acid. All acids. Even stomach acids. Temperatures of over 110 cause this,” he holds up the bottle again, “ to become more acidic. Each feeds on the other making for really bad stomach pains and often sickness. Which you clearly have.” He pinches his non-existent nose for show.

“Now, one has to think……What about the skeletal guy here? Surely you will become a sore loser and have this Bucket of Bones attack me. So…. Master Chef Talmeo showed me a few…. Unusual…. Tricks of the trade. How to silence a mage from casting somatic spells. A buddy of his (a Black Dog) , showed a few admixtures that again, take time to mix that makes the tongue swell.” He picks up the sword. “I have never used one of these before. Are they hard to learn? I’m good with cleavers and small knives…. Even tenderizing mallets…..” He turns to the undead. “I bet if I got you out of here you could teach me.”

He picks up the greasy and slightly still hot pan. Hafting it to measure the weight and feel in his hand, he walks over to cleric with one loud “Bong” he strikes him down. Not sure if he could drag the armored creature out through the snow, he waits, occasionally “bonging” the cleric if he would stir. Once the spell that controlled the skeleton wears off he is quick to introduce himself.

“I am Feldrix Dragor, Honor Guard of Lord Kaius the first. I will train you in the use of the sword if I may travel with you.”

Putting out his hand for shake and smiling like a damned idiot- “I am Chef Zigland but most people call me Ziggy or even Zig. Ever been to the Shadow Marches or magical lands?”

01 WORK COMMUTE
SEGMENT 104
“PASSAGE INTO ELDEEN”
7/18/17

THERENDOR 11, 1000 PASSAGE, AUNDAIR

Breathes evenly. In total control. Grace but with a slight limp. Battle injury? War time maybe? Skin has lost much of its red hue…. Older but very healthy Hobgoblin. The choice of colors is strange. Light blue and silver thread within the sleeves and cuffs. Seems unlikely he would be a Flamer. A few potions in his belt….. possibly not healing. Each tavern we have passed he has tried not to look at but has. Recovering alcoholic? Ah…. Or maybe desperately hungry.

The ever watchful Master Inquisitive passes the day walking the docks of Passage. He tries to hone his observation skills this way. He will watch, follow and observe from a distance then “bump” into them and befriend them and work in a polite conversation to verify his thoughts. This hobgoblin was the most interesting and hardest to figure out today.

Tyson Murry walks up beside the hobgoblin whom is waiting politely for a woman to pass before him. “Excuse me. Do you know if this bakery is any good?”

Druugos Ashfang turns and looks the questioner over. “I am not from this city. I do not know if the food is good. It does smell good although.”

“Agreed. Tyson Murry. Traveler.” And he holds out his hand in greeting.

Though hesitant, the monk takes his hand. “Druugos Ashfang. Pilgrimage.”

“So much. Hate to see it go to waste. Mind if I buy you a roll…. Maybe a drink. There is a tavern down here I believe.”

“No.” He states quickly. “Sorry. No I do not partake in the drink. I have sworn away from it with my new beliefs.”

“Silver Flame?”

“You are a follower?”

“Ah…. No. But I am respectful of others beliefs and the travels they incur. Then a Roll and water then? My treat.”

The monk looks wearily at the stranger. “Why?”

“As I said, I’m bored and hungry. You look a bit hungry yourself. You know- If one does a good deed to you then pass it on. I was offered a seat on the Rail by a man from Korth.”

During their meal, most of Tyson’s assumptions are proven correct. Feeling the monk will respect his own beliefs, he suggests this meeting was fated by the God Traveler. Each on a pilgrimage into Eldeen with the final destination of Yrlag.

The Inquisitive however doesn’t have the funds to correctly aid him. Then he learns of something.

House Orien is building a road through Eldeen to reach the greatly increased need and want to travel to Yrlag. So desperate to build it, they have started a work / travel program. Help them on the road construction for several weeks and you gain free passage to Yrlag. That his friend can afford….a highly protective and able friend.

He knows he should feel guilty using the monk like this but it’s a tough world…..

01 WORK COMMUTE
SEGMENT 105
“PASSAGE INTO ELDEEN”
7/18/17

THERENDOR 12, 1000 PASSAGE, AUNDAIR

Three large carriages with mage bred large horses line up at the Orien road station. Knowing it is first come, first serve, a small crowd is waiting at daybreak.

Tyson passes the time doing what he always does. He suspects not all of these people are young adventurous types. One has the eyes of a cold-blooded killer. He has been separated from Dru (Druugos) while boarding. The evil eyed passenger sits with him. Oh joy.

Then two others step up into the car. A loud and obnoxious changeling and an armored man wearing military armor from Karrnath. No…. change that. A skeleton. Hurrrmmmmm.

It will take over 45 days to reach the work station. More than once Tyson wonders about this decision. At heart, he is a city boy….. just smarter. Sleeping in a tent will be new to him. Food cooked over a fire will possibly bring back some childhood memories. As much as possible he reviews his notes given to him by his patron complete with notes from his information gathering on them. He also bought a book about survival in Eldeen. Even chipmunks can be dangerous there. Huuurrrm.

Some of his people he is looking for have questionable ties to the Emerald Claw. Gussa included. He wonders briefly if dear dad knows his darling daughter is possibly a part of this terrorist cult group?

“What cha’ reading?” asks the changeling readjusting his head piece once more. He leans far too close to the inquisitive.

“Notes that do not concern you., Shape Changer.”

Ziggy sits back a bit miffed by the racial term used. “I can change but I don’t.” He looks out and watches Galifar Lake in the distance.

Intrigued, “Oh, and why is that?” Tyson asks while closing up the files and stuffing them back into his hip bag.

“Stereo typing I guess. I am more than just a Shape Changer. I am a Chef first and foremost.”

“Hah!” spits out the fourth passenger with them. Hue Tacksonmon obviously thinks little of the “cook”.

Tyson sees where this is going and like Feldrix, he sits back to observe.

Druugos ignores the two young men and the woman whom take turns trying bolster their might with stories of the war when they were but children. Druugos found the war to be a dark and dangerous thing. Perhaps that was part of why the bottle was his hiding place for those years.

Looking out the frosted windows, he sees signs of war, old and new. Burnt out stone buildings, craters in the growing fields and areas of cemeteries marked with stones, sticks and wooden boards. So many died here. There is also newer sites from the events of last year. Armies from Thrane and Aundair had a conflict near here with dragons on each side. (Storm Dragon trilogy) Followed by a savage storm that people are still trying to recover from. Especially the area of Varna which was nearly wiped off the surface of the map. Most recently, fiends leading savage barbarians through the thick forests reached sections of eastern Eldeen. 999 was a very hard year on the forest nation.

Travel is slow and boring. Winter is trying desperately to remain. By day, the snow melts creating soft permafrost mud that is greasy and ruddy filled on the dirt roads. At night, it snows again. The new snow replenishes what was lost the day before.

Food was questionable. Then, someone heard Ziggy was a cook, dared him to improve the rations given to them by House Orien. From that forward he prepares at least one meal a day. Even Hue doesn’t give him much grief after the meals begin. It is good to be the cook.

On Thrender 28th, 1000….. there is a brief scare at night. The smell of gently cooking from meat draws in a pack of wolves. Feldrix scares them away easily enough.

On Eyre 4, 1000 the magebred horse drawn carriages reach the southern parts of the Eldeen Reaches where an existing road lies. It will lead them to Greenheart eventually. The worst of the fiendish combat took place near here as the barbarians and fiends attacked various shrines and places of worship important to the druids. Tyson recalls reading about it in the Sharn Inquisitive. Some felt there was a method to the madness but no one is sure. Either way, huge trees, centuries old, are seen torn down with arcane might and clawed huge paws of creatures not natural. Brutal battles that followed the barbarians effective use of fires to push away animals and treants. (again, Storm Dragon novel series- a good read)

Eyre 5, 1000
The Orien carriages travel through a marshy area. Terrible fires have gutted much of the area but with the druid’s help, new trees and brush have been planted. While going through the marsh just before stopping to set up a secure campsite, the Master Inquisitive thought he had seen something watching them from the woods. (He did) He misses his small apartment in Sharn now with its cozy fireplace.

Remove ads