• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The High Tech Druid

Tetsubo

First Post
So, the Druid by core gets penalized if they wear metal armour. I can see that and I even think it makes some sense. But it got me thinking...

What if a core Druid is thrust into a high tech setting, the modern era, a Post-Apoc world (Gamma World) or something like Star Wars? Can they use non-metallic high tech armours without violating their ethos? Things like Kevlar, ceramics, cerplasts, carbon fiber, nomex, etc. Or is the intent to restrict the Druid to more "primitive" plant and animal based armours? How would this effect a Dragonstar, steampunk or science fantasy game?

Bad Paper

First Post
oo nice question

I would say anything heavily processed or manufactured is right out. View the rule not so much as barring metal, but rather allowing only things that Mother Nature grew. Ceramic, plastic, graphite...all these things are too heavily processed and no longer recognizable.

But if there were a naturally-occurring kevlar plant, well...

Drowbane

First Post
High tech - red neck

This thread reminds me of a country song...

Bad Paper said:
oo nice question

I would say anything heavily processed or manufactured is right out. View the rule not so much as barring metal, but rather allowing only things that Mother Nature grew. Ceramic, plastic, graphite...all these things are too heavily processed and no longer recognizable.

But if there were a naturally-occurring kevlar plant, well...

Oh, and I completely agree with this. In Dragonstar (for example) I would quickly shut down any attempt at a Druid looking to buy some Kevlar or Stormtrooper PVC-pipe armor. :p

... and considering how important/power Dragons are in that setting... your Druid better be one bad mutha if he is going to try wearing Dragonhide.

Sejs

First Post
Nah, I'd venture that highly processed nonmetallic armors would be out for the same reason fullplate is.

Armor made from supertough space beastie hide/carapace on the other hand - go for it.

Here's a question for you though - would a druid violate their oath by wearing an EVA suit? What about an armored EVA suit?

seans23

First Post
Sejs said:
Armor made from supertough space beastie hide/carapace on the other hand - go for it.

I imagine that there will be 10 foot tall acid spitting cockroaches in the future, so you could probably use their bodies as hide.

Sejs

First Post
seans23 said:
I imagine that there will be 10 foot tall acid spitting cockroaches in the future, so you could probably use their bodies as hide.

Allow me to just say, the image of a colonist that's gone native, wearing xenomorph-carapace armor and using one of their hollowed out headcrests as a shield? BAD. ASS.

*nod*

Sejs said:
Here's a question for you though - would a druid violate their oath by wearing an EVA suit? What about an armored EVA suit?

A druid could use an EVA only if they treated it like a mount, or as some kind of an animal companion. Not if they treat it as a magic item such as an intelligent item, set of armor, or Apparatus of Kwalish.

Armored EVAs are right out.

Storyteller01

First Post
In DS, players can cast one level higher if their druid decides to not learn Technical proficiency feat. I don't think it displaces to equipment benefits, but it's a start...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads