The Hundred Seas

GreyOne

Explorer

“If we tarry on the road today, my friends, we will be caught in a storm I think. If we ride hard there was an inn at the crossroads with the Fel’juk Road. I saw it on the map that Khuritsa showed me the day before our leavetaking,”
says Nado.

By mid afternoon, a light drizzle has begun, and as the leagues tick by you are sodden and cold. No other soul plies the road this day. On occasion you have seen distant villageholds and hillforts, mostly to the northeast, obviously the domains of the minor lordlings who contest for the lands about the Bausslauch. Finally leaving the outlying marshlands of Narlann to the south the road turns further northwest into rougher terrain. By the fifth glass you enter a small valley south of the great Mouths of Merdolan. The trail route joins a spritely stream flowing out of the hills ahead.

You are struck by the wildness of the region: briar bushes line the sides of the road, and tangles of vine maples twist over the blackened stumps. Toppled logs serve as beds for new trees in some areas. With the onset of autumn, the leaves have started to turn to shades of red in the thin trees. Its easy to see that many of the older trees appear scorched and many are deadfalls. Many have also toppeled and vine maples twist over the blackened stumps.

Then you see it. First a single column of smoke rising idly into the sky and then a building, a quarter league distant. The trail leads towards it, the stream meandering beside. Distantly, you see another path, more a road leading into the east and the west. The Fal’Juk Road, no doubt. The building looks relatively new, a two story affair built into a palisade wall made of upended logs. There are no windows on the first floor that face outside the palisade, but there are ones within the inn itself. A solid looking wooden gate stands open as you approach. The smoke comes from the chimney. The building is decidedly Engolthen in appearance, the rounded and peaked roof surrounded by carvings.

Ulfghar

First Post
"Well men, I believe we have found our inn. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I know I'm past due for a few pints and a soft bed" states Ulfghar.

Ulfghar makes his way towards the inn's entrance.

GreyOne

Explorer
With the others in tow, you head down a mild slope towards the building. A large, muscular figure dressed in a grey tunic and a leather surcoat appears at the gate as you wind your way along the path. His hair is greying and cut short, his beard neatly trimmed.

“Greetings,” he calls out. "Come from Eastfair?" The drizzle has subsided somewhat but you remain sodden and miserable upon your horses.

“Well this be my inn, the Far Stride and ye look like ye need a night out of the weather."

As you ride closer another figure comes out, a tall, lanky boy with black hair tied in the complicated braids common to styles in the Bausslauch. “The boy will take your horses my friends, come inside and enjoy the fire.”

With that he moves into the yard and walks to the door within. The boy stands waiting for the horses.

Ulfghar

First Post
Ulfghar gets off his horse, grabs his pack and hands the reins of his horse to the stable boy.

"We appreciate your hospitality and I'll be very grateful to sit in front of a warm fire for a while".

GreyOne

Explorer
The boy takes the reins impassively and leading the horse into the yard, ties it off to a post. He takes the reins of the other horses and repeats the process. He nods in acknowledgement to Nado as the Hannathri flips him a ship.

"My name be Husgha Keil," he says walking across the hard-packed earth of the small courtyard. A pair of double doors sits to the left and a single wooden door with a curved top lies ahead in the wall. You follow the innkeeper inside and are pleasantly relieved by the warm gust of air and smell of cooking meat. "Be seated my friends, while I fetch some Haja. Ye've traveled far this day?" he asks.

The room you've entered is pleasant and well kept. Perhaps a woman's touch has affected it. It is a large common room with a number of long tables surrounded by simple wooden chairs. A number of old, worn tapestries line the walls, most showing mountainous vistas. One near the great fireplace which crackles with flame depicts a battle of some sort. Horsed riders ride past a formation of scale-clad spearmen who fall to their arrows.

(1) Haja is a fermented goatsmilk with honey added to sweeten it. It is common in the westlands and though strong is quite refreshing.

Ulfghar

First Post
"We've been in the saddle much too long for my liking. It's nice to have my feet back on the ground, and even nicer to have a warm room to rest in" replies Ulfghar.

"What news do you have of the region?"

Last edited:

GreyOne

Explorer
"Hrmm," replies Keil. He disappears in the back and momentarily returns with a tray of beaten bronze cups. He carries a cylindrical jug in his other hand. He sets about pouring four cups of the pungent brew.

"I've heard from merchants 'bout the Fal'juk of conflict in the Bausslauch. Warlords and their petty feuds no doubt. You've come from the south? Surely ye've heard of such doings," he says, finishing the pouring.

"Actually, you lot are the first to be by this way in days. You've all the look of strangers to the west. Many of those about of late." His accent is strongly Engolthenic, but he speaks the trade tongue clearly enough.

GreyOne

Explorer
"Oh, I don't know the answer to that friend. The road has been quiet this season, though I expect it will pick up soon. Trade must flow must it not?" he sighs. "With winter half a season away I expect it to pick up. War to the southeast has doubtlessly affected the merchant trains from that direction. Talk in the west of those Crone-spawned ...," he pauses abruptly at that, looking at you nervously.

"Hrm, well...I should see what's taking my plump wife with her stew," he says stumbling awkwardly before recovering and walking through the door in the side.

bragon gault

First Post
"Before you go could you tell me just what this talk in the west is all about? We've been afield as of late and I've not heard any talk of it"

Last edited:

Remove ads