• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
Resulting in an infinity of monkeys going mad from sanity loss, and while an infinity of those will be catatonic or flee or do something else ineffective, that still leaves an infinity of suddenly-berserk monkeys bludgeoning a Great Old One with magic typewriters. And while that's happening, there will still be an infinity of very calm monkeys who passed their SAN rolls busily typing Shakespeare's plays.

It's enough to make you wish you were innumerate.
And that boy grew up to write the Laundry Files! And now you know…the rest of the story.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
<off site>

On the one hand I completely get not taking into account an authors original intent in what they wrote when you read it yourself. The wonder of books is that you are translating it through your own thought processes.

On the other hand its kind of insipid to insist a reader is wrong for reading something the way the author says they originally intended it... especially when it lines up best with what is actually on the written page.

On the third hand (and completely separate from what motivated this), the correct reading order is LWW, Prince Caspian, Dawn Treader, Silver Chair, Horse and His Boy, and Nephew. And no, I didn't miss one. ;-)

Last edited:

On the third hand (and completely separate from what motivated this), the correct reading order is LWW, Prince Caspian, Dawn Treader, Silver Chair, Horse and His Boy, and Nephew. And no, I didn't miss one. ;-)
Apparently even Moties hate The Last Battle.

Still, without that book, you can't really have the eighth volume in the series, Susan On Safari. Who wants to miss her digging up some of Andrew's rings and using them to go hunting across multiple otherworlds in pursuit of the monster that killed her family and lured their lost souls into eternal slavery? I know some folks didn't care for the way the final confrontation just ended with the cornered beast asking if she'd really gain any peace from killing it and then just ends abruptly, but I like it. The sudden out-of-nowhere montage of her going back to Earth and settling down to raise a family with that poor guy that had been tagging along with her as a gun caddy/human decoy the whole time is really kind of clever. It leaves you hanging for a chapter (short though it is) before that final scene in her study talking about carrying on the family monster-hunting tradition with her grown kids, and then that casual mention of the tatty old lion skin her rocking chair is sitting on settles what happened quite clearly.

Be a really sad world where The Last Battle was the conclusion of an otherwise-decent isekai series. That slow build toward the big reveal of Aslan's ultimate evil nature would have just been wasted without Susan avenging her poor relatives.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads