The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Hmmm...if the only reason you're going back to a discussion is so that you can come in here and complain about it, seems the issue may not be what's happening in that discussion...

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
abed-community.gif

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
If I ever want to really annoy some OSR person (I don't), I'm torn between insisting that Pathfinder is OSR, or that everything after OD&D is not OSR.

"Oh, you're into TSR-style D&D? It's a bit too mainstream for me. They really sold out after 1974, it just wasn't the same."
Since TSR was formed to publish D&D, that line is slightly off. A version I've seen in real life is something like "I only play 1974 style. Everything has been downhill since the Thief class messed everything up by adding skills and the implication that others couldn't climb walls or pick pockets."

And yes, out-hipstering annoying grognards is fun. Kind of like when I attended a big libertarian event and read up on Georgism first so I could out-libertarian anyone who was annoying. :LOL:

It's all a bunch of judgement calls anyway. Personally it's all about not having the build metagame and reducing fighting complexity. I also like having 6 attributes. I give DCC a pass in that it still has 6, but I still think it would have been better if it had the original 6 and added Luck as a thing out of the 6 core stats.
I think that's a pretty solid delineating line. Degree of compatibility with TSR D&D modules has been one classic criteria, but then, some of the NuSR games have been designed to be compatible while still making major rules changes.

I saw the total eclipse in 2017 and one you've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all. I had no interest at all in this last one as where I live it wasn't even total.
You could definitely say once you've seen a total eclipse from within the path of totality, you've gotten the experience, but of course that's a massive and qualitatively different experience from any other kind of eclipse viewing.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Since TSR was formed to publish D&D, that line is slightly off. A real world version is something like "I only play 1974 style. Everything has been downhill since the Thief class messed everything up by adding skills and the implication that others couldn't climb walls or pick pockets."
To be fair, until 3E, even thieves themselves had a really hard time climbing walls or picking pockets.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
To be fair, until 3E, even thieves themselves had a really hard time climbing walls or picking pockets.
They were pretty great at climbing walls but terrible at everything else, for the record. :) But yeah, that's one of the other big problems with them. Although in 2E with points allocation they could quickly become competent at a couple of skills.

There's a reason that two of my biggest house rules when running B/X are Thief fixes.

Last edited:

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
"I don't want new players to join the hobby, I want my old players to come back! Why hasn't WotC fixed that for me yet?!"
I remember when, in my White Wolf days, I worked out that what one contingent wanted from their errata was for there never to have been a problem. They don’t want info they could print out and tuck into a book. They didn’t want a new copy of the book that didn’t have the error. They wanted their existing copy to have always been fixed. And, y’know, that’s not possible. So they’d go away mad and badmouth the company for years on end because they couldn’t get the simple fix of never having had a problem.

Remove ads