• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Sudden insight into a publishing opportunity: so nearly as I can tell, all actually existing LitRPG fiction presumes a very directly D&D-like system running the world. So there’s an obvious opening for LitRPG stories where the system is Burning Wheel-like, or Apocalypse World-like, or GURPS-like, or Fate-like, or Synibarr-like. Go forth ye writing masses and conquer.
Why do it the hard way with original writing? Lovecraft is public domain, just grab some of his stuff and shove some awkward CoC mechanics into it and you're printing money, I tell you. :)

The odour arising from the newly opened depths was intolerable but fortunately we all had high Constitution scores and resisted the nauseating stench, and at length the quick-eared Hawkins with his 95% Listen skill thought he heard a nasty, slopping sound down there. Everyone listened, and everyone was listening still when It lumbered slobberingly into sight and gropingly squeezed Its gelatinous green immensity through the black doorway into the tainted outside air of that poison city of madness.
Poor Johansen’s handwriting almost gave out when he wrote of this. Of the six men who never reached the ship, he thinks two perished of pure fright in that accursed instant, having failed their SAN checks and suffered fatal aneurysms as they lost 1d100 Sanity points each. The Thing cannot be described beyond its alarming game statistics, which were clearly OP—there is no language for such abysms of shrieking and immemorial lunacy, such eldritch contradictions of all matter, force, and cosmic order. A mountain walked or stumbled. God! What wonder that across the earth a great architect went mad, and poor Wilcox raved with fever in that telepathic instant? The Thing of the idols, the green, sticky spawn of the stars, had awaked to claim his own. The stars were right again, and what an age-old cult had failed to do by design, a band of innocent sailors had done by accident. After vigintillions of years great Cthulhu was loose again, and ravening for delight. And then Smythwick, who had lucked out and lost only a single Sanity point upon sighting the unearthly abomination, stepped boldly forward and attempted a Diplomacy check.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Sudden insight into a publishing opportunity: so nearly as I can tell, all actually existing LitRPG fiction presumes a very directly D&D-like system running the world. So there’s an obvious opening for LitRPG stories where the system is Burning Wheel-like, or Apocalypse World-like, or GURPS-like, or Fate-like, or Synibarr-like. Go forth ye writing masses and conquer.
The closest example I can think of is The Game at Carousel, which is set in a parallel universe of horror movies where the players/characters all have Fate-like Aspects they can select to use. All the character also have a "class" corresponding to horror movie tropes (The Athlete, The Final Girl, the Comedian, etc.). Not a direct conversion of an existing game, but definitely running on a narrative game type engine.

Ryujin

Legend
I'm amused by the fact that the Dream Park novels really aren't LitRPG books, despite being about gamers gaming and having a real-world TTRPG based on them to boot.
I owned the RPG and I think all of the adventures. I sent them off to a friend a couple of years ago, to see if it might make for a good Youtube/Twitch game. Hadn't touched them in decades before that.

Remove ads