• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is perilously close to a serious discussion.
Well, we wouldn't want that.

I've also seen a replacement PC introduced to the game by having an Alien xenomorph leap out in front of the party, clutch its chest, stagger a bit and fall over before the new thief erupted from its chest in an explosion of gore. When we all (including the thief's player) asked how that happened the DM blithely informed us we'd find out once we were old enough to take Sex Ed in school. I think I played one more session of that game before escaping to an open slot at the "old enough to play with grown-ups" Runequest table.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
This is one of the reasons all of the new classes in Dragon were "NPC classes" -- if they're meant only for the NPCs, then there's no impact to the player-facing side since only the DM will ever need to know the specifics of abilities.

Yep! And, of course, everyone followed that guidance. I mean, I can't imagine any table ever using those classes as PCs.....

heh.

Personally, I always thought of that as one of the greatest fictions.

These are NPC classes only. So, uh, don't let a PC play as one. We're going to give you all the info to let it be a PC class, but you're not going to actually let anyone play it as a PC, right? Nudge nudge, wink wink.

Ryujin

Legend
Yep! And, of course, everyone followed that guidance. I mean, I can't imagine any table ever using those classes as PCs.....

heh.

Personally, I always thought of that as one of the greatest fictions.

These are NPC classes only. So, uh, don't let a PC play as one. We're going to give you all the info to let it be a PC class, but you're not going to actually let anyone play it as a PC, right? Nudge nudge, wink wink.
Which is why I played both a multi-class Witch and a Kensai (prior to the release of OA).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Uhhh...
qkj9xi83rjh91.png
Eh, not really. Gygax had financial reasons for taking that stance publicly, but if you read the DMG, it's full of places telling the DM he can change it, but warning that it can break the balance and should be done carefully or not at all. He also didn't play his games following 1e as written from what I have heard.

I don't put much stock in the public stance that from everything I've read and heard doesn't really match his real view.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
If you aren't interested in the subject of a thread, no one needs you to pop in and tell everyone that fact.
It’s a foreseeable consequence (alas) of the idea that here in whatever venue, we must have opinions on each subject, must share them with others, and must persist until resistance crumbles, because we have truth the community must recognize for its own well-being and indeed survival.

The random lone pundit bears a heavy burden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads