The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
It's not that they're not furious, it's just that they've decided it's not worth venting about. So... inrage?
Resignation. Being outraged by something but knowing there's nothing you can do, so it's pointless to bother with.
Yep, absolutely. And this is probably far more common than either side would have us believe. My point is, if you've stopped venting, or if you've resigned resigned yourself to the state of things, you probably aren't hollering "why am I the only one who's outraged?!"

overgeeked

B/X Known World
There's also the old saw about logic, reason, and empathy.

Something like: "There's no appeal to logic or reason you can make to someone who does not value logic or reason that will convince them they should value logic or reason."

The same applies to empathy.

That's where most of the recent "discussions" break down. Two people digging in where one of them clearly lacks empathy blithely dismissing appeals to empathy. You're simply talking past each other. Nothing you can say will get them to suddenly care about other people when they simply don't care about other people. "But their jobs" vs "I don't care." "But their livelihoods" vs "I don't care." "But their homes" vs "I don't care." "But they're using child labor" vs "I don't care." "But they're using slave labor" vs "I don't care." Some people simply lack the capacity for empathy.

MarkB

Legend
Yep, absolutely. And this is probably far more common than either side would have us believe. My point is, if you've stopped venting, or if you've resigned resigned yourself to the state of things, you probably aren't hollering "why am I the only one who's outraged?!"
Yeah, at that point you've worked through the several stages of grievance.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
It's really surprising how many people are completely fine with just being an antagonistic jerk to the people on the other side of the screen.
fight me GIF by Sky

Remove ads