• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Yeah, I got nothing. There is a thing where people derive pleasure from pain...so maybe it's like that? Like the people who show up to meetings just to argue and complain, or love eating extremely spicy food, or running marathons, or certain um, bedtime activities.
That's literally it. Not everyone derives pleasure from the same things, and some of the things people enjoy can be very niche and seem like mental health issues to those who don't share them. It doesn't qualify as insanity by default, but some pleasures can easily become toxic behaviors if they result in harm to yourself or others. Being just plain contrary about some things is pretty clearly something some (many?) people enjoy at least some of the time, but carried too far it can certainly be toxic - and where different people draw the line at "too far" is wildly subjective.

The fact that people are different is why (often oxymoronic) concepts like common courtesy, basic civility, and acceptable behavior exist, and they're still far from a perfect consensus. Unfortunately they also break down a lot, especially outside of face-to-face communications - which helps make the internet as awful as it is wonderous.

There's also a load of psychological and sociological baggage associated with winning arguments - or more accurately refusing to concede them - but that's a different kettle if fish for the most part.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
A: “Doctor, it hurts when I do this.”

B: “So don’t do that.”

A: “But I like the pain.”

B: “So what the hell are you complaining about?”

A: “I like complaining, too.”

B: “Get out.”

A: “No.”

B: “Why?”

A: “I like being a contrarian, too.”

Moral. Not everything is a fetish or a preference. Some people are just toxic jerks.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I just edited a 22-year-old thread. I also edited a 20-year-old one and one that was a much younger 19-year-old thread.

Getting Old 30 Rock GIF

elsewhere: Reminder that the majority people who enjoy an IP or a company despite any issues will out number the people who wish the ip or the company that holds the IP to burn to the ground. The number of people not being an internet activist is less than the consumer who just enjoys stuff.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Seeing replies to a revived 10 year old thread and realizing that some posters have actually... regressed.

I can’t answer for anyone else, but with everything going on in recent years, I know my fuse is a LOT shorter. Most of my ignores have gotten on the list relatively recently and I’m more likely to get irritated by certain shenanigans than I used to be.

Remove ads