• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Immortals Handbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've been reading right along, but didn't have much to say. And I was very dissapointed to have missed another 666th post in one of your threads. and I hope by Vajra you mean the more occultic version rather than something mundane. :D

Last edited:

Anabstercorian

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
*distracts Anabstercorian long enough for the puppies to escape*

New Epic Adventure Hook: A mad psuedonatural is eating all the puppies! Can you save them before every last fluffy buddy is chewed to a meaty mash?

Fieari

Explorer
I am SO going to use that hook. I've three evil divinely created assasin monsters going about exterminating life as we know it, and for one of them, it will be introduced to the players as it is devouring puppies. Very cute puppies that I will try my hardest to get the players emotionally involved with before the devouring begins. Wonderful!

Question.

Hi all! :)

I was typing up the Golem entries when I noticed that the default Base Damage for Golems is bizarrely high.

eg. The Flesh Golem deals more damage with a 1-handed punch than if it were wielding a greatsword in its hand (1-Handed because its Large)!!!

I mean whats that all about?

Now the question is should I outline Golem damage the way WotC do it (?) or should I stand by my own convictions?

eg. Should the Diamond Golem deal 1d8 base damage or 2d8?

The confusion is compounded by the fact that some Golems actually do carry weapons (possibly as an intrinsic part of their make-up).

NB. The Iron Golem illustration in the MM shows it wielding a sword whereas the Flesh Golem illustration shows it is unarmed.

...and thanks for the link Rulemaster mate - I have been advocating ideas along those lines for years. Remember my 1 HD per 2 ft. height/length idea in the CR/EL doc.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Upper_Krust said:
I was typing up the Golem entries when I noticed that the default Base Damage for Golems is bizarrely high.

eg. The Flesh Golem deals more damage with a 1-handed punch than if it were wielding a greatsword in its hand (1-Handed because its Large)!!!

I mean whats that all about?

Now the question is should I outline Golem damage the way WotC do it (?) or should I stand by my own convictions?

eg. Should the Diamond Golem deal 1d8 base damage or 2d8?

In general, I think you should stick with your way rather than WotC's way. (Fancy me saying that!) Having said that, I think that a diamond golem should deal at least 2d8 base damage, just 'cause... you know... it's diamond. :)

Verequus

First Post
UOTE=CRGreathouse]In general, I think you should stick with your way rather than WotC's way. (Fancy me saying that!) Having said that, I think that a diamond golem should deal at least 2d8 base damage, just 'cause... you know... it's diamond. :)[/QUOTE]
If you apply our physics, human flesh should be as easily crushed as through a diamond golem as through a stone golem, but a diamond golem should do more damage on the stone golem and conversly the stone golem less. If you discard the argument, that diamonds are more brittle, because magic strengthens it, then consider, that in D&D the source of pure physical damage isn't distinguished in that way, how much harder something is compared to other material - at least not in the detail, you are implying. So I'm in favour of U_K's way.

U_K:
BTW, I should have my headset by next saturday - yayy! :)

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
RuleMaster said:
If you apply our physics, human flesh should be as easily crushed as through a diamond golem as through a stone golem, but a diamond golem should do more damage on the stone golem and conversly the stone golem less. If you discard the argument, that diamonds are more brittle, because magic strengthens it, then consider, that in D&D the source of pure physical damage isn't distinguished in that way, how much harder something is compared to other material - at least not in the detail, you are implying. So I'm in favour of U_K's way.[\QUOTE]

The "you know" and :) were meant to show that while I understand that the argument doesn't follow RW physics and there's no need for it to work one way or another in the game, I still 'feel' they should do more damage. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads