• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) The impending mess that will be backwards compatibility

Lets say the Druid as we got it in the UA was the final, OneDND version of the Druid.

Now we fast forward, and Jimmy is saddling up with his spiffy 2024 Druid, but then Tommy comes in with the 2014 Druid.

Tommy does everything Jimmy does but better, earlier, and with more flavor.

Jimmy then comes to the forums and joins the constant influx of people who will be pointing out how the 2014 classes completely screw with the game and cause massive disparities.
now even look at the class (so far) changed the least... rogue. Even that Jimmy and Tommy would get things at different levels

I don't want a "6E" at all. I am fine with revisions to 5E's chassis, as I'll pick what I want. If I want something different, I'll play something different.
I don't like 5e that much... it is what I call "Our compromise" edition and we are starting to see the same flaw as we did at the mid point to end of 3.5 (and we is the normal people I play with).
If there isn't a 6e sooner or later I forsee our group leaving D^D

mamba

Legend
I don't like 5e that much... it is what I call "Our compromise" edition and we are starting to see the same flaw as we did at the mid point to end of 3.5 (and we is the normal people I play with).
If there isn't a 6e sooner or later I forsee our group leaving D^D
at what point do enough gradual changes make it a 6e even if the name doesn’t change? Given that people call this 5.5 already, chances are there will be a 6.0 eventually, even if it is not being called 6e by WotC

at what point do enough gradual changes make it a 6e
I mean we have all been debating that since the playtest started...
right now I feel they have hit "worst of both worlds" territory's but we all see these things different
even if the name doesn’t change? Given that people call this 5.5 already, chances are there will be a 6.0 eventually, even if it is not being called 6e by WotC
in general it was pointed out I like even number editions better, so I am going to think it may be GOOD they are not calling the one I am not sure of 6e.
(My favorite editions are 4e then 2e then 5e then 1e then basic then anything even close to D&D that isn't 3/3.5/pf1 because they are dead last)

mamba

Legend
(My favorite editions are 4e then 2e then 5e then 1e then basic then anything even close to D&D that isn't 3/3.5/pf1 because they are dead last)
interesting, I go 5e, 2e, but never tried 4e (for no particular reason, just was not playing at the time)

From the comments here I would have assumed 5e is kind of a mix of 2e to 4e, so I guess it has too much 3e for you to rank it below 2e

interesting, I go 5e, 2e, but never tried 4e (for no particular reason, just was not playing at the time)

From the comments here I would have assumed 5e is kind of a mix of 2e to 4e, so I guess it has too much 3e for you to rank it below 2e
5e has some 4e a little 2e but a whole heap of 3e in it... TBH I feel like if you took the lables the dates and everything away and asked an expert to group them they would assume 3e evolved into 5e that evolved into 4e... TBF they would also never think 1e/2e were linked to this set of games at all

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
How much you feel 5E has from other editions will be largely based around what it is you find most important when playing D&D. And whether the previous edition you are referencing was also matching that importance or was completely counter to it.

If you are hugely into "Rulings, Not Rules"... you would probably say there's a lot of 2E in 5E (where that was a big part of 2E), and that there's not as much 3E in the game (since 3E was greatly into making actual rules for everything that the DM could look up.)

But if you look at say the mechanics behind rising ACs, saving throws that focus on Dex, Con, and Wis, having feats that allow you to customize your character, similar spell slot charts... you would say that 5E was a direct evolution out of 3E.

And likewise there are 4E things that feed directly into 5E that would make some people say one was an evolution of the other there too. More of a concern with game balance and character balance within a party for one.

So there's no right or wrong here. It's all a matter of perspective and what you as an individual find to be the "real focus" of Dungeons & Dragons, and which editions highlighted it compared to how 5E does it. And of course someone else who finds your main focus to be barely a blip as to why they play will not see the similarities in the same way.

Remove ads