• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) The impending mess that will be backwards compatibility

mamba

Legend
No worse than showing up to a University class with the wrong edition version of the textbook where the page numbers are all different and the questions at the end of the chapter you get assigned for homework are changed.
yeah, nothing like that. I said no one would mistake the 5e PHB for the 1DD PHB, and everyone who has a version also knows which one it is and what the implications are

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
They said that there would not initially be alternate cover versions of the core books
giphy.gif

I really don't want to keep track of a Fighter from 2014 and a Fighter from the next, uh, I mean revised edition. I'm fine with a new edition because it means consolidating all the rules which is preferrable to having them scattered across so many books. If I purchase the next edition of D&D, and it is a new edition I don't care how much WotC protests otherwise, I'm only going to allow the new stuff at the table.
I totally support your decision. But I don't care what version of a class a person is playing. Not all rangers need to follow the same core class rules. I will allow anything printed, unless an ability really doesn't work for my campaign. For instance, if someone wants to play an 2014 Ranger, they can, though I will let them select another ability to replace the Primeval Awareness ability which I really don't like. I may even allow a different "Ranger" from a 5E "compatible" sourcebook even if it is different, like Black Flag or Level Up. It's not hard. It really isn't.

Last edited:

Remove ads