The Katara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bront

The man with the probe
I'd like to hear from other judges too.

Heck, I'd like more feedback by anyone as to what they think of them It's all been usefull so far.

I hope I've given them a better, more fully crafted feel.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
I am a bit leery of adding a new race to Enworld. I could understand the goblins, as they were an existing race in the core and are easily adapted to PCs. However, an entirely new race... is a bit more to take in.

Despite my leeriness, I think the Katara are fair as an EL +0 race, and are well-described enough to be worked into the setting. I think a picture or rough approximation of their appearance (on average) would be nice, but not necessary. Though artwork would influence my decision on whether or not to approve the Katara ;)...

I will give this a tentative Yes. I say tentative because I am still uncertain of the repercussions of adding a new race to the setting. While I understand that the setting is still in development, I am uncertain if "catfolk" will mesh well with the information already developed. However, I am willing to give the race a chance.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Art... I should look into that. Or we could request some stuff on one of the threads... well, anyway, cool idea. :D

Bront

The man with the probe
I could draw stick figures...

I'm not great at describing things in general. They're more cat like than man like, but they do have stable hind legs, so probably a bit more man like legs (still furry, still some catlike features there). Body is probably a bit more manlike that a generic cat (so they can stand again), but still, generaly furry, and probably a bit more cylindrical than a man. Arms are actualy pretty similar on both species, though they have an opposable thumb. Probably slightly thicker fingers. And head much more cat like than man like, though with a slightly longer neck that lets the head sit facing more forward.

Hope that description helps, and makes sense.

Bront

The man with the probe
Knight Otu said:
Apart from wording cleanup, this should be good to go. I give it a Yes.

Cool. I would appreciate any help with wording cleanup. I tried to do my best, but I'm definately not an english major.

orsal

LEW Judge
As this race stands, I'm voting No. I've been deliberating a lot, and rereading the text; it all comes down to the point I brought up earlier, about the difference between a catlike man and a manlike cat. The balance, as I read it, is too much on cat for my tastes.

I'm imagining walking into the Red Dragon Inn and finding a table with a dwarf, three humans, two elves, a gnome and a katara. Would I look at the crowd and imagine Sesame Street characters singing "One of these things is not like the others..."? With a bipedal anthropomorphized cat at the table, I expect I would, and that means just be virtue of being strange and exotic the katara would dominate everyone's attention. I don't like that. My rule of thumb: the standard races set a standard for the degree of variety among the races. New races shouldn't stray too far from that standard. This proposal, as I read it, goes too far.

I could live more happily with a cat-touched humanoid race, some feline features and personality traits but clearly more akin to other humanoid races than to cats. But not this.

Bront

The man with the probe
What about Lizard men though? They're in the SRD, and they're definately more lizard like than man like.

I understand your arguement. However, it stems from a lot of your standard definition of fantasy (which is perfectly fine, it's your opinion). However, why isn't there a place in the world for these people? Why is it an issue that they share traits with cats?

Personaly, I wanted something different than the "It's a human with hair, whiskers, and cat eyes" that many people suggest for the cat race. I feel they fit well into the enviroment that they are in. Are they curious and social? Yes. But so are Gnomes, and some also describe Halflings like that too. As a newer race (And I mean that in terms of how long as an established race in general, not as a "new proposal"), they don't have as much established culture, and there is an abundance of it to grab.

Basicly, I wanted something different. Something that makes them unique in the world. If they're going to be simply only "touch of cat" why not play an elf (Which is actualy fairly close as built.)? The Katara are different, unique in a way. And yes, their newness might dominate for a bit, I don't think it will much more than any other new culture will. Look in the tavern now. Most of the current conversation has been dominated by people asking about other's backgrounds (at least the new players in the tavern). So a new race comes in, it won't be much different. And after a while, it settles down.

I disagree with your position. But I do respect your position, and understand where you are coming from.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Bront said:
What about Lizard men though? They're in the SRD, and they're definately more lizard like than man like.

I think our problems are arising through use of semantics, here. I think your definition of "cat-like" and others' definitions of "catlike" aren't syncing up at all.

Lizardmen aren't, IMO, "lizardlike". They are humanoids with lizard features. They have a definitely reptilian head, scales like lizards, are cold-blooded, and share some personality traits with lizards. They are humans with lizard-like bits added to them.

The Katara should be humans with cat-like bits added to them, not cats with human-like bits added to them. They should most definitely be humanoid in appearance - no question about it. But I don't have a problem with cat-like features or mannerisms. But there should be no question as to their creature type from a metagame viewpoint.

Bront

The man with the probe
I don't intend there to be any doubt that they are humans. If the physical description is all that needs to change, we can change that. Obviously, facial features will be a bit cat like, and they will have a tail (not prehensile, benifits already included in skill bonuses.), but perhaps they have a more humanoid build if that's the big issue (broader shoulders, a more dicernable waist, ect).

I am not looking for Puss in Boots from Sheck 2 (never was). Just to make that clear from a physical stand point.

I'm hoping their culture isn't the issue. I think it's fairly well done, and fits a newer race, cat like or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads