The Key to Victory

Dragonwriter

First Post
Jareth takes a few steps towards his old teacher, a smile forming on his face. "It's good to see you, teacher, though I wish it were under different circumstances. Nevertheless, a reunion of old friends is something to be glad of," he says, smile now full-fledged as he walks closer. He gives his mentor a short, though formal, bow.

"Everyone, this is the man we came to save. Now how we're going to go about that... is another story. But please, introduce yourselves. Then we should talk about how to proceed."

jackslate45

First Post
With a small bow Ern spoke up "I am Ernestine Thankirk, summoner. I am glad that we came here in time." Once the introductions are complete, Ern wonders around the area, taking in the sights of this...Prision? She heads over to Tira before asking "Tira, is this supposed to be a jail cell? Because this is not what I had in mind for us."

She then goes over to the windows, and pulls back all the tapestries and hangings, looking for anything that can be used to escape.

ghostcat

First Post
Trinham is not built for climbing so many stairs. Even though the last few weeks have made him fitter than he has ever been in his life, he still has a lot of weight to lift up them. Worse than that, every time he tries to stop and get his breath back, he is either pull by the rope in front or pushed from behind. By the time the elves let them stop, all he can do is fall to the the floor panting. He does not even feel the guards removing his bindings.

By the time Trinham has recovered his breath, the others have all made their introductions. Standing he offers his outstretched hand to Tharivol and says "Trinham Woods sir. Spell caster come fighter." Now Trinham knows his manners and is usually very polite. However, he is still a farm boy at heart and he is hungry. So he blurts out "I don't supposed you have anything to eat, I'm starving."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
With a look of wonder at the group Tharivol looks a little dismayed as introductions are made. He comes out of his slight shock when Ern calls out to Tira and the young half-elven woman (who hasn't moved a muscle since Tharivol stepped into the room) replies, "I... I'm not sure what this is."

"Well if this is what passes for a prison I'm sorry I spent so much time trying not to get caught," Aver laughs as he too explores the circular room.

Letting go of Trinham's hand Tharivol nods to a table where a silver cistern and cups can be seen. "There is some fruit and wine there please help yourself." he says staring at Tira across the room as he speaks. The girl looks at the floor and Tharivol takes an involuntary step towards her before gathering his wits and shaking his head and blinking.

"What?... What did you say about saving me, Jareth?"
he says turning to the man who was his student not so long ago. "I am not a captive in the sense you may believe. Oh I can not leave that much is true, but I have chosen to die to protect the Nandirly."

"What!?" Tira cries out leaping towards the two men. "But the charges and your trial? You are accused of passing on elven secrets to a non-elf, to Jareth."

"But I myself am a non-elf so their laws have no hold over me. A loop hole that the elders found most irritating. And the Treylor ambassador did not accept." he looks gravely at Jareth. "You should not have come here you should be with your mother and your sisters, they need you more than me. Why didn't you go to them? Why didn't..."

"Tharivol!" Tira says stepping between Jareth and his former teacher. "Why is there to be a trial and why do you act as if you have already been found guilty."

Taking Tira's hands in his own the half-elf lets out a small sigh. "Because I have already been found guilty but not of the crimes I am accused of. They are a reason for the people to hear. A reason they can understand. I am to be executed for being born a half-elf. My death will prevent the invasion of the Treylor into The Five Kingdoms. My death will stop the Treylor from coming here and killing all the Nandirly for what they call their perverse tainting of true elven blood."

Tears fill Tira's eyes and Tharivol kisses her hands whispering, "I'm sorry."

"But why... I mean how do the Treylor even know about you? How could they." Tira asks dropping her hands and hugging herself.

"I... I don't know," Tharivol says obviously lying. He looks to Jareth for help but Tira cheeks tear streaked and resolve filling her features speaks up.

"You mean..." she looks into his eyes and it dons on her what is happening. "No, no, no..."

Taking Tira into his arms he holds her tight. He looks over her red curls at Jareth. "The Treylor learned of what transpired between your father and Tira's mother. They didn't know, they can't know! That I wasn't the child born of that union. As far as the Treylor are concerned there is but one half-elf in the world and 'the abomination' as they call it is about to be put to death."

"Gwaff!" Aver snorts from the table a cup of wine in hand. "One half-elf in the world my right..., um" he stops looking at the women in the room.

"I have sired seven or is that eight now?"
he shrugs, "half-bastards this decade alone. Lost count about twenty years ago, human women are so, so...um." he looks into his cup.

"My oldest boy he lives not to far from Harkon. In a little village called Rem."

Dragonwriter

First Post
Jareth takes a seat as the news almost knocks the wind out of him. "So there's some of that nobility you were trying to teach me, years ago. And I think I'm finally starting to understand it," he mutters. He looks up again after a deep breath.

"Now don't take this as an excuse to prevent a tragedy, my friend, but the Treylor are using this lineage business as a cover, a smokescreen. They intend to invade no matter what to recover... something. A crown. A relic stolen from them by Vester's Reavers and hidden in these lands. We know because... well, let's just say we have good information sources," He stands up and rolls his shoulders. "We may have a way to avert your execution and the war, if we play our cards right. The Treylor can't be stupid enough to believe one child, or even a hundred, is cause enough to invade and sacrifice hundreds if not thousands of their people. The events at Harkon Manor demonstrated the resolve of my people. Oh, which reminds me, I have something for you. A gift from your mother," Jareth says, voice trailing off. "Or at least I would, had the guards not taken my backpack..."

[sblock=OOC]
Since you said they didn't search us thoroughly, I'm assuming I've still got the cloak.

And did they search me thoroughly enough to find my boot knife? I would've surrendered my chain, but made no effort to reveal a hidden weapon.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
[sblock=OOC]
DM said:
Everyone's weapons and equipment is fitted into a single bag carried by one of the guards. Oddly the bag doesn't look heavy for all the weapons, packs, and items in it.

You wouldn't be allowed to keep your backpacks. Or spell component pouches or items in belt pouches. You could have the knife as no one was frisked. [/sblock]

jackslate45

First Post
Ern also is slightly surprised at what is transpiring. She simply stands there, wrapping her head around the situation. She tries not to flinch when Jareth mentions the Reavers. Once he is done, Ern pipes in

"So you are going to be executed for being a half-elf? That seems, I dunno, odd? If they let you live this long, and you are finally being tried, it seems like they really are reaching for this. Besides, as Aver so bluntly put it, I am sure there are more than just those present." Ern says.

She takes a walk around the room one last time before asking randomly "Anyone have a small bag? Or a pocket that we can rip off?"

ghostcat

First Post
As soon as Tharivol mentions that their is food on the table, Trinham heads over and starts to eat some of the fruit. He has been on half rations for a long time and needs to keep his wits about him, so will not partake of the wine. But will drink water if he can find any.

Trinham listens to the conversation between the old friends and, after finishing the peach he is eating he, uncharacteristically, says "So the Treylor have conned the Nandirly into believing they are purifying the race by eliminating Janeth's father's love-child", Trinham give a look of apology to Janeth, "when in fact they want to enter Nandirly lands in order to recover their crown. So are any of the elders wise enough to believe the truth when they hear it?" At this point Trinham turns bright red and takes a bite out of an apple to hide his embarrassment.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"I didn't... Aver what have you done?" Tharivol says bewildered. "No if this is true wouldn't the Treylor know? They have powerful wizards and priest among their leaders."

To Ern he answers but keeps his eyes on Tira. "I was to be an example. That the Treylor will not tolerate the mixing of human and elven blood, or the teaching of elven ways to humans." When the woman asks for a small pouch he says that a few empty spice pouches are near the wine.

"A crown Jareth? Stolen by Vester's Reavers and brought here? I know nothing about this but I haven't had many visitors since my fate was decided. They locked me away here to make my last days as comfortable as possible. The trial is like I said, for the people, even though the verdict has already been decided."

"We can stop the trial! The crown Jareth! We show it to the elders and tell them that Vester plotted to have the Treylor invade. The Treylor need to be told but how?"

"The ambassador,"
Tharivol says simple. "But he must not see you Tira. Or hear of Aver's indiscretions. You are not sure that the crown truly is the key to stopping the invasion. What if you are wrong."

Remove ads