• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Llygpobl, cheese-loving humanoids

Herosmith14

First Post
So got this one done today, and I like it a bit. It is much more skill orientated than other races, and I would like some feed back on how you think this could be improved. All of the deities mentioned in the fluff are from my setting's pantheon, and their appearance in the various religious mythologies is more or less a reference to the fact that mice are EVERYWHERE. The naming conventions come from the Welsh (Llygoden) and Scottish Gaelic (Radaoine) languages. Anyway, tell me what you think.

Llygpobl
A light step, a sensitive ear, and a love of cheese. Some would say that this is all there is to a Llygpobl is, but wiser souls know that this is not true of the rodent folk.
Soft and Furry

Smaller than even Halflings, Llygpobl fall on the lower end of the two foot range. They have the large, round ears and whiskered snouts of mice and rats, and bright but beady eyes.

There tails are hairless skin, also like their non-humanoid cousins. Radaoine are a bit taller and more meaty than the Llygoden, resembling rats.
Two Sides, Same Coin

Llygpobl, though not physically different in any meaningful way, fall typically into two groups, the Llygoden and Radaoine.

The Llygoden are a kind hearted, if occasionally mischievous, folk. They enjoy laughter and fellowship, and believe in their duty to the world and the gods that created. Whenever they do take, it is never out of malice or greed, but out of necessity, duty, or kindness.

The Radaoine, on the other hand, are greedy, self-centered, and chaotic. While they almost never truly lean towards evil, Radaoine can be bribed into doing almost anything, though will gladly save their own hide above anything if necessary.

Both Llygoden and Radaoine use the Llygpobl traits.
Servants of the Gods

Not many know exactly how or why Llygpobl were created. Most believe they were created by the nature goddess Degasala, but were drafted by other deities for various purposes.

Legends speak of Marwoffeir, a Llygpobl prophet of Barge, god of Death, who sat with the soon-to-be departed as they slept.

Other myths tell of Llygpobl, sent from Franeia, who counseled forlorn lovers on affairs of the heart.

Many Llygoden blame the trickster god Lofa for leading their Radaoine cousins astray. Generally, modern Radaoine have no religious ties to Lofa.
Llygpobl Names

Llygpobl typically only bear one name, composed of a given prefix, and a postfix that functions as a family name. The following names are separated into the prefixes and postfixes of Llygoden and Radaoine. Llygpobl do not differentiate between male and female names.

Llygoden Prefixes: Goba-, Bendith-, Gwel-, Yna-, Sgar-, Du-, Gwyn-, Siocl-, Rown-

Llygoden Postfixes: -rydd, -tân, -gof, -aur, -fwyd, -nwr, -sydd, -riad, -neidr

Radaoine Prefixes: Mèir-, Gais-, Marbh-, Tein-, Liath-, Sol-, Dor-, Ach-, Nas-, Moth-, Èib-

Radaoine Postfixes: -òr, -bha, -ainn, -aise, -ach, -dan, -tach, -cràdh, -bàs, -càise, -aig
Llygpobl Traits

Llygpobl have the following attributes.

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity, Wisdom, and Charisma scores each increase by 1.

Age. Llygpobl age much faster than average humans. The average Llygpobl reaches maturity by the age of 2, and typically doesn’t live past 50.

Alignment. Most Llygpobl fall into two groups. The Llygoden lean towards good, while the Radaoine lean more towards chaos and self-preservation.

Size. Most Llygpobl stand between 2 and 2 and a half feet, with slim, compact builds. Your size is Small.

Speed. You have a walking speed of 30ft.
Darkvision. You have Darkvision out to a range of 60ft.

Rodent’s Step. You have proficiency in the Stealth and Acrobatics skills.

Keen Hearing and Smell. You have advantage on any perception checks that rely on hearing or smell.

Llygpobl Training. You have proficiency in the dagger, rapier, shortbow, and shortsword.

Mouse’s Stealth. You may take the Hide action as a Bonus Action.

Languages. You can fluently speak, read, and write Common and one other language of your choice.

Last edited:

maceo

Explorer
I like it. I'm not great at figuring out if something is totally balanced or not but it looks good to me. One idea to do since you didn't create subraces but they seem to have different personalities is to create tables for Traits, Ideals, Bonds, and Flaws for the two kinds of Llygpobl to give some ideas on how to roleplay the differences.

I used homebrewery to make a pdf for you: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rkXdbrUjEX

(make sure to use Chrome to view)

Remove ads