• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth is up (EDIT-All Chapters Now Added)

Zaukrie said:
As I posted on the other thread, I had hoped that w/o page constraints we'd get art for every monster. That makes the DM's job so much easier.

That would, indeed, be quite cool. But I'm guessing it would also raise the cost of putting together the adventure beyond the point where it'd be a feasible endeavor.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
But, the advantage of the medium is unlimited space. How about just gathering the art that already exists for the monster at the end. I realize that isn't free and easy, necessarily, and that I could do that on my own, but I'm trying to justify the switch over (since I'll now have to pay for the content, and then again in ink to print it).

the intro is nice, which is about as far as I've been able to read so far.

Treebore

First Post
The cool thing for me, Ari, is that Lost Caverns is the next mod up in my C&C game, after they finish DCC 18. So now I have new 3E content to adapt.

BTW, to be clear on what I meant by "published" in my last post I should have said "printed by WOTC".

I've been buying a lot of PDF for the last two to three years, and I definitely prefer print to PDF by at least a 10:1 margin.

So until the price difference has that same margin, I am concentrating on print from now on.

I actually seriously cut back on PDF since before last Christmas.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

I'm very excited about this but I need some advice!

When 3.0 came out I converted my long-running 2e campaign over and we played through a few adventures set in Greyhawk with the plan that the PCs would visit a converted and souped-up Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. Instead, they ended up getting side-tracked and never got past a nasty dragon that was living in the mountains. In 2003, when 3.5 came out we put that campaign on hold and started a new one that's still running now.

With this adventure, I'd like to bring back the old PCs and do this as a one-off adventure but the trouble is the PCs are higher level. Rather than scaling up the adventure by quite a few levels, I thought it would be fun to have just two or three of the original PCs go through it. The question is which two would have the best chance of success? The characters are:

Human fighter 13th
Human bard 17th
Human cleric 16th
Human fighter 14th
Human wizard 15th

What do you reckon?

Cheers

Richard

GVDammerung

First Post
Big GH fan here. Not much impressed by this effort. The lay out is IMO meh. The Hawk is more prefunctory than illuminating. And the "adventure" is similarly prefunctory. Hopefully, matters will improve as we see parts II and III.

Treebore

First Post
GVDammerung said:
Big GH fan here. Not much impressed by this effort. The lay out is IMO meh. The Hawk is more prefunctory than illuminating. And the "adventure" is similarly prefunctory. Hopefully, matters will improve as we see parts II and III.

???

Considering this is setting up the groundwork I would say "improving" is a given.

GVDammerung said:
And the "adventure" is similarly prefunctory.

Um, that's because it's not an adventure meant to stand alone. When they say it's "part 1 of 3," that's 100% literal. Basically, this is just the Introduction, background, and surroundings--what, in the old Dungeon, would have been a "Backdrop" article.

I don't expect everyone to love it, and I can accept the fact if you don't care for it, but at least judge by what it is and what it's meant to be--the first chapter of a three-chapter "book."

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Treebore said:
Awesome Ari. I think this cements any adventure with your name on it as a "must buy" for me.

Too bad I'm not going to subscribe to the WOTC Dungeon. Hopefully you'll do more work for Paizo and Necromancer. Plus more published WOTC adventures.

He's written an adventure for EN Publishing which is available now! it's one of the War of the Burning Sky adventures, and is available in PDF or softback format.

Jack of Shadows

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Um, that's because it's not an adventure meant to stand alone. When they say it's "part 1 of 3," that's 100% literal. Basically, this is just the Introduction, background, and surroundings--what, in the old Dungeon, would have been a "Backdrop" article.

I don't expect everyone to love it, and I can accept the fact if you don't care for it, but at least judge by what it is and what it's meant to be--the first chapter of a three-chapter "book."

OK,

Until Ari said this I was utterly unimpressed with this offering. Compared to what I'm used to in Dungeon I found this to be sadly lackluster in presentation. I haven't read through it yet but graphically it just does not present to the degree Paizo managed. I'll reserve judgment until the entire product is available. Sadly I will probably never use it, as a digital product is just too much of a hassle to use at the table.

Jack.

Treebore

First Post
Jack of Shadows said:
OK,

Until Ari said this I was utterly unimpressed with this offering. Compared to what I'm used to in Dungeon I found this to be sadly lackluster in presentation. I haven't read through it yet but graphically it just does not present to the degree Paizo managed. I'll reserve judgment until the entire product is available. Sadly I will probably never use it, as a digital product is just too much of a hassle to use at the table.

Jack.

You would think with PDF they would give you two versions, one is the nice presentation version, the second is the simple black and white easy/cheap to print version.

IE save a copy before all the color art and maps are put in, also do a simple line map in B/W for this version, and then add all the PDF layers for the final glossy and pretty version.

So the only extra work is putting together a simple B/W line drawn map. Which they probably do at the "concept level" anyways. So save it and use it.

Remove ads