• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth is up (EDIT-All Chapters Now Added)

grodog

Hero
Rauol_Duke said:
First adventure for the online Dungeon - Iggwilv's Legacy

Thanks for the prod Rauol_Duke, I've been keeping an eye on the Dungeon page for awhile, waiting for this to appear. For two reasons: 1) S4 is one of my favorite GH adventures, and 2) I've been working on my expansions for S4 for the past few weeks (if you're curious, see http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_s4.html for details), and wanted to see if there was more cool stuff in this version worth checking out and/or incorporating into my expanded vision for the adventure.

Mouseferatu said:
With one very minor quibble*, I'm really happy with the way this turned out. And I love the artwork for the cauchimera. (Since the original Lost Caverns introduced the gorgimera, I felt that a similar but different new critter was entirely appropriate here. ;)) I'm also really interested in hearing what people think of the background that C.A. and I came up with. We tried to expand and reinterpret canonical references to Tsojcanth, and tie it up into the history of Iggwilv and Graz'zt, without actually directly changing or contradicting anything. I think we succeeded...

*(In the original draft, both the mines beyond Steddegar's Hole and the cavern with the bebilith provided hidden entrances to the Hollow of the Horn, without the need to pass through the Caverns of Tsojcanth themselves. I thought that was kinda nifty, but apparently development decided that they really want PCs to progress through the three "chapters" in order. I liked the old way, purely aesthetically, but I fully understand why they went the way they did. And as I said, it's a really minor issue.)

I'll definitely check out "Iggwilv's Legacy" with a fine-toothed comb, and let you know my thoughts, Ari :D

grodog said:
I'll definitely check out "Iggwilv's Legacy" with a fine-toothed comb, and let you know my thoughts, Ari :D

Uh-oh. Now I'm nervous. ;)

Seriously, we definitely took Tsojcanth in a wild direction, one that I don't think a lot of people are going to expect. (Well, unless they know C.A. and me, in which case they might see it coming. ;))

But while there are some, uh, "creative interpretations," I think we managed it without technically violating anything in official canon. But of course, I could be wrong... :heh:

JoeGKushner

First Post
Treebore said:
You would think with PDF they would give you two versions, one is the nice presentation version, the second is the simple black and white easy/cheap to print version.

IE save a copy before all the color art and maps are put in, also do a simple line map in B/W for this version, and then add all the PDF layers for the final glossy and pretty version.

So the only extra work is putting together a simple B/W line drawn map. Which they probably do at the "concept level" anyways. So save it and use it.

Seems a common problem with publishers. For example, Pathfinder is pretty impossible to print unless you're using high end laser printer or don't mind the ink cost.

Treebore

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
Seems a common problem with publishers. For example, Pathfinder is pretty impossible to print unless you're using high end laser printer or don't mind the ink cost.

Yep. I already have posted on their boards asking them to enable the PDF to allow us to remove the layers. Come to think of it, I haven't tried playing with the layers on this new issue. But I did on the newer version of PF 1, and you still couldn't remove all the color and extraneous background. Couldn't remove any of it, to be specific.

Hussar

Legend
One sweet thing The LE games did with their pdf's was bundle them in a number of formats - landscape for reading on a monitor, full color, black and white with no borders and a few others. Very, VERY good idea. It's not like it's a huge amount of work, three clicks before you hit Save and you're done mostly.

One thing I hope the new Dungeon does is have the map pdf's bundled the way Paizo did. I adored those. Even if I didn't use the modules, the maps and art often saw the light of day in different games.

Now, if we can just stop them from doing Zip'ed pdf previews, we'd be doing something.

Treebore

First Post
RichGreen said:
Hi,

I'm very excited about this but I need some advice!

When 3.0 came out I converted my long-running 2e campaign over and we played through a few adventures set in Greyhawk with the plan that the PCs would visit a converted and souped-up Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. Instead, they ended up getting side-tracked and never got past a nasty dragon that was living in the mountains. In 2003, when 3.5 came out we put that campaign on hold and started a new one that's still running now.

With this adventure, I'd like to bring back the old PCs and do this as a one-off adventure but the trouble is the PCs are higher level. Rather than scaling up the adventure by quite a few levels, I thought it would be fun to have just two or three of the original PCs go through it. The question is which two would have the best chance of success? The characters are:

Human fighter 13th
Human bard 17th
Human cleric 16th
Human fighter 14th
Human wizard 15th

What do you reckon?

Cheers

Richard

I would say the Wizard, Cleric, and Fighter (either one) would give them the right mix. Unless the Bard is exceptionally strong as a fighter or arcane caster because of character build and.or magic items. Then I would take him over the fighter or the wizard, depending on what he was strong in.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Treebore said:
Mine is the same way. Only the first page has the border on both sides.

Thanks. I thought it was me. I like the other artwork, though. I'll probably use a modified version of this for next Wednesday evening. Thanks Ari (and Friends)!

Remove ads