• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The magic circle trap

Sylvaroth

First Post
The description of the ritual does not state an exception for the ritual caster or any characters assisting in the casting. So let us assume a party consisting of five lvl 5 characters all of them natural humanoids perform/assist in the ritual Magic Circle (natural).

The ritual caster -a tiefling wiz5 with an Arcana check bonus of +11 (INT mod +4, 1/2 lvl +2, trained +5)- is assisted by the party's Clr5, which adds a +2 bonus to the Arcana check result. They draw the circle around the party, so the circle will protect them against all natural beings.

The wizard rolls a natural 20, thus the circle blocks every natural creature below level 23 (Skill check bonus +11, aid another bonus +2, die roll 20= 33-10 =23) from entering it.

Correct?

Now my question: How does the party get out of the circle?

Last edited:

Mirtek

Hero
Now my question: How does the party get out of the circle?
The party doesn't get out. You're right that there is no exception for the caster(s) of the circle. If the circle is set against your own creature type you can become trapped in your own circle. So better cast it from the outside.

bganon

Explorer
In past editions teleportation bypasses the circle, and while it's not clear, it seems like this should work in 4e. The circle prevents movement through it, so the question is whether teleporting counts as "through".

It's also really unclear what the limits of "cannot affect the boundary or creatures through the boundary" are. The ritual only says it affects creatures, so you can toss objects through freely. As long as they don't "affect" creatures? Is tossing food to somebody trapped inside "affecting" him? Even if he chooses not to touch it? Clearly this is problematic.

I think in the end I think I'd just give the caster the option to put a "trigger" into the ritual which they can use to remove the circle.

Sylvaroth

First Post
I just reread the categories-entry of the rituals chapter which does state under binding rituals, that they protect YOU from creatures or ensanare, etc. them.

Does this mean -since the specific ritual does not explicitely change this general statement- that the ritual caster really is not affected?

That would be one interpretation...

There are other possibilities. Not all PCs as of PHB2 have the natural keyword either, so some of them might not be affected.

What about conjurations or summonings? Could the circle be broken that way? A Figurine of Wondrous Power for example...

On Puget Sound

First Post
What a great "rescue the incompetent mage" skill challenge!

Opening the door, you see a robed human standing in a circle of glowing runes, scratching his head in frustration....

Sylvaroth

First Post
AbdulAlhazred said:
That would be one interpretation...

There are other possibilities. Not all PCs as of PHB2 have the natural keyword either, so some of them might not be affected.
Also, PHB1's Eladrins and Elves are fey.
AbdulAlhazred said:
What about conjurations or summonings? Could the circle be broken that way? A Figurine of Wondrous Power for example...
Not sure where to find that item.

Would an eladrin's fey step be able to bypass the circles barrier? Though it requires a move action to activate, teleportation is more like a translocation.
On Puget Sound said:
What a great "rescue the incompetent mage" skill challenge!

Opening the door, you see a robed human standing in a circle of glowing runes, scratching his head in frustration....
You know, that's what I saw, when I tried to imagine a magic circle trap situation.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads