D&D 5E The Magical Martial

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I still say more class is the answer

Make a class that is an ordinary unskilled mook who runs on luck and plot armor that everyone accepts due to divine blessing or astrological birth or a ton of lucky charms

Make a class that is a warrior whose skill transitions to extraordinary martial prowess that lets him do "lucky attacks" consistently due to training.

Make a class that is a warrior who collects super powers as he levels straight up.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

Make a class that is an ordinary unskilled mook who runs on luck and plot armor that everyone accepts due to divine blessing or astrological birth or a ton of lucky charms

Make a class that is a warrior whose skill transitions to extraordinary martial prowess that lets him do "lucky attacks" consistently due to training.

Make a class that is a warrior who collects super powers as he levels straight up.
Sounds good to me. A numbers of folks here seem to have real problems with defining stuff they don't think needs to be defined though.

dave2008

Legend
And if the door of that portal included a ln image mage in the hands of a fire giant, with a hellhound in the background, I'd expect you to have figured out that you aren't in Kansas anymore.
It has nothing to do with the door, just seeing the people do it would clue me in. Now, if I couldn't also jump 15' in the air (which I can't) I would also assume those people are extraordinary (aka supernatural, aka magical); and if I could suddenly jump 15' in the air (all else being equal) I would assume I had become extraordinary as well.

Is that really difficult to understand.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Sounds good to me. A numbers of folks here seem to have real problems with defining stuff they don't think needs to be defined though.
It's more that their desire to not want to buy more books to get access to extra stuff they are enthusiastic about and it forces them to warp their beliefs about stuff.

If there were more martial classes with different levels of extraordinary, supernatural, and magical aspects, this thread doesn't exist.

This thread exists because "More classes are bad. I don't want to buy another book to get 3 classes when I am only interest in one".

It has nothing to do with the door, just seeing the people do it would clue me in. Now, if I couldn't also jump 15' in the air (which I can't) I would also assume those people are extraordinary (aka supernatural, aka magical); and if I could suddenly jump 15' in the air (all else being equal) I would assume I had become extraordinary as well.

Is that really difficult to understand.
You're kind of making my point for me.

Nowhere in your examples have you needed anyone to tell you that you or anything else in the setting is extraordinary.

dave2008

Legend

That works to a point (for me). The question is: what is that point.

Question for you (I will try one more time to get you to answer): If I am playing a human fighter and at some point my character can lift a 10 ton boulder over its head and through that boulder a mile. No other human can do this, or even close to this. Is my character not extraordinary? Is this something everyone can do?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
That works to a point (for me). The question is: what is that point.

Question for you (I will try one more time to get you to answer): If I am playing a human fighter and at some point my character can lift a 10 ton boulder over its head and through that boulder a mile. No other human can do this, or even close to this. Is my character not extraordinary? Is this something everyone can do?
The caveat is if they can lift the boulder because they are level 10 or if it is a base rule.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
And you have made mine: the setting is extraordinary (aka magical, aka supernatural)
if the setting itself is extraordinary, then the fighter or rogue who are in it, when they themselves do extraordinary things, like punching through steel plate or dodging all the damage of a fireball without moving out the radius, are merely ordinary in the setting, and don't need magic or supernatural abilities to do so.

Last edited:

Remove ads