Spoilers The Marvels (Spoilers)

Reef

Hero
On the hand, this is technically a fair complaint.

On the other, Secret Invasion was apparently so naughty word horrible, that pretending it's not canon or happened in a different universe would be extremely beneficial; so it may not be fair to hold against the film.
I was about to say that. To me, the fact that this is doing it's level best to pretend Secret Invasion never happened is a solid plus in my books.

A solid, fun little movie, that doesn't try to be anything but. It is so refreshing to have one of these clock in under 2 hours. This, Guardians 3, and Shang-Chi are my definite top 3 post-Endgame movies.

pukunui

Legend
That's interesting that The Marvels doesn't take Secret Invasion into account. Samuel L Jackson apparently said in an interview that the two are connected in "interesting ways" and that the movie "couldn't have happened" without the show.

It's also possible that the movie doesn't factor in the show because it was originally meant to come out first but got delayed till after? So maybe Secret Invasion hasn't happened yet during the events of The Marvels. (I won't be seeing the movie myself till Friday. I am not afraid of spoilers.)

Last edited:

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
A solid, fun little movie, that doesn't try to be anything but. It is so refreshing to have one of these clock in under 2 hours. This, Guardians 3, and Shang-Chi are my definite top 3 post-Endgame movies.
Funny thing that the one thing all of the best Disney MCU movies have in common is how much I wish anyone but Disney Marvel was making movies like that, independently of the MCU. With Disney setting the bar for so many different genres now... I wish they had more competition.

I wish we'd gotten a few AAA Star Wars or Guardians of the Galaxy knockoffs since 2014-2015, or we were staring down the barrel of a couple Shang-Chi knockoffs next year. I don't hate Disney and I don't hate the MCU; if anything what I'm saying is that I wish more studios were doing a better job imitating and innovating on their formula.

Man, I wish Secret Invasion had been used as a premise for, like, Avengers 4. Release it after The Marvels.

SPOILERS FOR BOTH

Giah (Talos's daughter) is shown in The Marvels as working for Fury on SABER, being friends with Monica, and being anxious about the Skrull-Kree peace talks. After the movie's climax, briefly show her arguing with Fury, blaming Danvers for Monica's death, and - when she finds out that Danvers actually went to help the Kree fix their sun, she quits, furious.

In a post-credits scene, show the Skrull emperor Droge recruiting Giah. He asks if she'll help them found a new Skrull colony, but (with ominous music playing) she says that Earth is her home - and now it will be her people's home too.

Then in Avengers: Secret Invasion, we start with Agent Ross working with a Dora Milaje crossing paths with Maria Hill and Sam Wilson. Both groups are surveilling a deal where an agent of the Power Broker is trying to sell Talokanil DNA to an agent of the Ten Rings. A shootout happens, and the Ten Rings agent escapes, but Ross gets hit and dies . . . revealing him to be a Skrull. Cue the paranoia.

The plot is basically that Fury and Talos realize that Giah has begun bringing in more Skrulls to infiltrate powerful organizations, and so they decide to assemble a team of super-powered individuals -- whom they assume can't be simulated by Skrulls -- to figure out what Giah's up to and bring her in, hopefully alive.

But secretly, Giah is trying to get samples of super-powers so her people can be strong enough to defend themselves once their infiltration is discovered.

This set-up lets you bring in Captain Marvel (who despite being incredibly powerful can't solve this issue with energy blasts), Captain America (whom Fury doesn't trust because he has no super powers), Shang-Chi (who gets involved because his sister who is head of the Ten Rings asks him to), and Shuri (who is obligated because of her people's alliance with Talokan).

(Fury reaches out to Dr. Strange to help them detect Skrulls by, y'know, punching their souls out of their bodies, but he's missing.)

Maybe Valentina sends Yelena to get involved, because Ross was Valentina's ex (and, y'know, it'd be nice to keep the world from being overrun by aliens).

And heck, bring in Sprite from the Eternals, since she was left on earth and is sort of a shapeshifter. Could be a fun dynamic, though I'm not sure how to get her embroiled in the plot.

Now, what exactly to do with the cast, eh, I won't overthink it since it's never gonna happen. But yeah, have a fun spy thriller. Have some people be revealed as Skrulls. The showdown can be at the facility where they're keeping all their prisoners so they can continue to simulate their minds. Have it be a twist that actually Giah's Skrulls can have super powers.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I liked it, a lighthearted young adult/family adventure movie. maybe a little too short as I occasionally got distracted and confused on the transitions - especially during the Tele-swaps sequence.

I love that they started with Ms Marvels animation sequence, helping to set tone and update viewers on the ‘new’ character. Vellani is delightful in the role and her enthusiasm helped carry much of the movie and lighten the interactions of Carol and Monica - which needed more time to make their drama an interesting storypoint instead of a drag.

As a fan of musicals I liked the Water Planet silliness and would have been happy to see more, I especially would have like to see more of Prince Yan (Park Seo-joon), hopefully he’s not just there to appeal to Asian fans.

The villain was meh, and needed more time to get into her psychology. They probably should have done more to explore Carols role as Annihilator

wasnt keen on the Valkyrie cameo or the idea that Drooges skrulls are settling in New Asgard. I did like the Kate Bishop cameo and the comedy of Kamala doing Nick Fury

Im treating Secret Invasion as never happened/sad variant universe tucked off in a little visited pocket dimension and hope it never gets referenced again

Last edited:

Funny thing that the one thing all of the best Disney MCU movies have in common is how much I wish anyone but Disney Marvel was making movies like that, independently of the MCU. With Disney setting the bar for so many different genres now... I wish they had more competition.

I wish we'd gotten a few AAA Star Wars or Guardians of the Galaxy knockoffs since 2014-2015, or we were staring down the barrel of a couple Shang-Chi knockoffs next year. I don't hate Disney and I don't hate the MCU; if anything what I'm saying is that I wish more studios were doing a better job imitating and innovating on their formula.

Well Spiderverse has 3 to 4 movies coming out next year to Disney's 1, so that is alot of competition from Sony.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Well Spiderverse has 3 to 4 movies coming out next year to Disney's 1, so that is alot of competition from Sony.
It's a balm, but it's not the balm I'm looking for. I want space opera outside of the superheroes genre, I want modern urban xianxia outside of the superheroes genre, I want the rich diversity of nerd topics coming from the Mouse to be reflected in the film industry outside of the Mouse.

It's a balm, but it's not the balm I'm looking for. I want space opera outside of the superheroes genre, I want modern urban xianxia outside of the superheroes genre, I want the rich diversity of nerd topics coming from the Mouse to be reflected in the film industry outside of the Mouse.

I don't know what xianxia is.

Remove ads