• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Medic for Rogues; A Nonmagical Healer

Herosmith14

First Post
So this one is hot off the press. I've been thinking about the concept of an effective nonmagical healer for DnD for a while now. After all, not every fantasy doctor wants to devote themselves whole-heartedly to a deity, or spend hours studying the complex magics of bards or druids. I realize the warlord is... out there, but I don't really know that much about how it works mechanically, and from what I understand of it, the concept doesn't really tickle my fancy. I'm not really sure I'm up to building a base class, and the rogue honestly felt like the best home for the concept I was going for.

Anyway, I've taken a nice portion of inspiration from the Apothecary class in Square Enix's "Octopath Travelor." I realize Treat Ailments might be a bit potent for the 9th level slot, which is typically reserved for out of combat utility, but I didn't think Refined Healing should come in that early. That aside, my rough goals for this subclass are as follows:
  • Create a viable, nonmagic healer that can compete with the Cleric, Bard, Druid, etc. without dwarfing them
  • Don't step on the toes of aforementioned classes in other fields (buffs, crowd control, etc.)
  • Don't make it overpowered
Well, on with the homebrew! Let me know what you think :)
Rogue: Medic
Many of those who are called “rogues” practice illegal, and grim trades: whether it be burglary, organized crime, or assassination. You, on the other hand, join the ranks of apothecaries, combat medics, and other less magically gifted healers of the world in a quest to ease suffering wherever it may be found. Whether you employ this practice out of genuine care or as a method of personal gain is your choice. Eitherway, you have been trained in the arts of antidotes, remedies, and salves and given the push to use them in your travels.
Educated Healer

You have received extensive training in the art of medicine and healing.
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with the Herbalism Kit and Healer’s Kit, as well as proficiency in the Medicine Skill.
Combat Medicine

Starting at 3rd level, you know how to quickly bandage up those around you. As an action, you may roll a number of d6s equal to half your Sneak Attack score, and a creature you can see within 5ft of you regains hit points equal to the number rolled.
Treat Ailments

Starting at 9th level, you may use an action to treat the conditions of those near you. Choose a creature you can see within 5ft of you. If that creature is blinded, deafened, paralyzed, or poisoned, that condition is removed.
If the condition was caused by a spell that is still being concentrated on, you must make a wisdom (Medicine) check against the caster’s spell save DC. On a success, the conditions are removed, on a failure, the conditions remain.
You have a number of uses of this ability equal to your Wisdom modifier. You still consume a use if you fail a Medicine check against a concentration enforced condition.You regain all uses after finishing a long rest.
Refined Healing

Starting at 13th level, you may use your Combat Medicine feature as a bonus action via Cunning Action.
Alternatively, if you use Combat Medicine as an action, the number of d6s rolled equals all of your Sneak Attack, as opposed to half.
Medical Genius

When you reach 17th level, your apothecarial skills have been honed to mastery. Whenever you restore hit points to a creature with your Combat Medicine feature, you may add a number your wisdom (Medicine) skill modifier to the number of hit points restored.

PS: I will say, I'm not too happy with a lot of the feature names(though I do rather like Combat Medicine and Refined Healing), so any suggestions on that front would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Educated healer: The character probably already has Medicine as a proficiency. I'd suggest granting double proficiency in it if they do.

Combat Medicine: I'm not seeing any limits on uses.

aco175

Legend
It says you gain d6s equal to half your sneak attack score- did you mean sneak attack dice instead of score? This, and I'm not sure a half healer class should be equal to a cleric or even a paladin or bard. I can see something like a partial caster using potions or meds, or something. Half your sneak attack dice per short rest may work. Maybe you can only use one as a bonus action or one more every few levels so you can use 2 at level 5 and 3 at level 9.

Combat Medicine
Starting at 3rd level, you know how to quickly bandage up those around you. As an action, you may roll a number of d6s equal to half your Sneak Attack score, and a creature you can see within 5ft of you regains hit points equal to the number rolled.
Unlimited uses is broken. Perhaps a pool of dice like the Celestial Warlock, or the same target getting the benefit of Combat Medicine only once per short rest, like the Artificer.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
The Rogue pattern is at 3rd level they gain a new bonus action rather than a separate action.

This concept actually already exists in the game too.

The Thief w/the Healer feat sounds like exactly what you want.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
At will healing is bad.

The whole package would be weaksauce without at will willing. I'm not sure how to salvage your abilities. Concept could work though, it just needs better mechanics.

Remove ads