The misbegotten waif thread a/k/a The Fray V2

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
RE: heart attacks with kids

some is the drugs that are taken such as steroids. If there was a bad bone break some of those steroids given to aid in bone growth is worse then letting it grow naturaly. another thing is addressing Gandulf's question about pinpointing deaths. i have many friends who were in research positions with UMC and I remember one of then telling me of an enzime that is produced with a heart attack aas well as the ripping and tearing of the heart muscle.

as to the enzimw that is detected, there use to be no way to find it as it was of such a small nqquantity that detection was difficult at best. However there was anothe chemical that bonded to the primary chemical that was easier to detect and with that technology they have been able to verify cause of death.

Does that make sense?

Rhun

First Post
a) To play in sporting events you know have to pay to get in. Not like it was back in my day. That leaves a lot of would be good kids no chance to earn a scholarship and divides students into rich kids poor kids even worse in school. So maybe a look at the lifestyles of those kids whose parents can afford to play against those who don't? (see below)

I remember even back when I was in school there were at least nominal fees that had to be played when I was in soccer and football. It covered all sorts of things. I don't remember it being a ton, but like $50 for the year or something. This was circa 1990-1993.

b) The life style of kids now a days is different. They spend more time in front of the tv (shows, movies, and games). And I bet (but don't know for sure) that they eat out a lot more than we use to. One night a week we would go someplace to eat, mom cooked all the other nights.

While this may be true to some extent, it certainly doesn't apply to all. Those that are inclined to be athletic are still going to be athletic. I mean, I haven't stopped working out regularly just because I have TV, a computer, console games, etc. And if kids are really spending so much time in front of the TV, doesn't that point out a failing at the parental level?

c) Everything in schools seems faster paced than they use to be. I learned this last year when I was over at my sisters house and my niece who was in first grade was practicing her cursive writing?!? They didn't start teaching that till 4th grade back in the day. I mean in first grade you can hardly read print and they want you to what?

Not sure about what school you went to, but I was taught cursive in the 1st grade. Granted, I went to a private school back then. And I realize that we roleplayers are a different breed, but I'm willing to bet a large majority of us here on these boards could read and write quite well by first grade. I mean I was already playing AD&D with my older brother by that time, and learned to read by studying the PHB, DMG and MM.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Rhun said:
Not sure about what school you went to, but I was taught cursive in the 1st grade. Granted, I went to a private school back then. And I realize that we roleplayers are a different breed, but I'm willing to bet a large majority of us here on these boards could read and write quite well by first grade. I mean I was already playing AD&D with my older brother by that time, and learned to read by studying the PHB, DMG and MM.
I don't remember much from 1st grade as we moved once a year back then. 4th grade we were learning cursiive, i do remember that. As for reading, we as a family read the king James bible around the table, on chapter per night. My sister, my brother and I did as children, then later I had access to Happy hollisters, hardy boys and nancy drew. Dispite My mother's extensive collection I had them all read the second time by age 14 ish (usally read when I was grounded to my room, and how much time that was, we are not going there!)

Rhun

First Post
I, for one, learned to read fast from superhero comic books, not RPGs. From them I learned most of my English ;)

I actually have a few stories I wrote from when I was in first and second grade, Funny stuff reading it now, but interesting to see that my interests haven't changed. One I still have is about a some astronauts going to pluto and slaughtering aliens. Not bad for 1st grade writing, if I do say so myself! :cool:

renau1g

First Post
In my grade 4 class we had 15 minutes of free writing a day. It was really great. I used to love that, the teacher would review and offer grammatical corrections, but essentially it was free writing and that was awesome. Part of what got me away from Nintendo/Sega and I did a lot more creative writing as a young'in.

Rhun

First Post
In my grade 4 class we had 15 minutes of free writing a day. It was really great. I used to love that, the teacher would review and offer grammatical corrections, but essentially it was free writing and that was awesome. Part of what got me away from Nintendo/Sega and I did a lot more creative writing as a young'in.

I think there should be more of this!

I took a creative writing class in high school, and the teacher went so far as to tell me that he wouldn't give me good grades on anything that was fantasy or sci-fi, because to write well you have to have lived it. WTF? It's CREATIVE writing, not life experience writing. I gave him the vote for WORST TEACHER EVER!

renau1g

First Post
That's pretty terrible. In our high-school writing class I actually wrote up our group's campaign finale for the large, year end writing assignment (a 25 page short story IIRC). I had included art illustrating the PC's and the major villians in the appendix. Our teacher (a kinda crazy old lady) just looked at me after she reviewed it. I ended up with an A on the project with a note about the creativity being top notch.

Rhun

First Post
That's pretty terrible. In our high-school writing class I actually wrote up our group's campaign finale for the large, year end writing assignment (a 25 page short story IIRC). I had included art illustrating the PC's and the major villians in the appendix. Our teacher (a kinda crazy old lady) just looked at me after she reviewed it. I ended up with an A on the project with a note about the creativity being top notch.

And you still run a mean campaign! Not that I'm in any of your games anymore, but still... :D

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I think there should be more of this!

I took a creative writing class in high school, and the teacher went so far as to tell me that he wouldn't give me good grades on anything that was fantasy or sci-fi, because to write well you have to have lived it. WTF? It's CREATIVE writing, not life experience writing. I gave him the vote for WORST TEACHER EVER!

We didn't have those types of electives in High School (Mid to late 90s). HOWEVER we did have one english teacher, Mr. Fry, which basically was a creative writing teacher. Every story we read and every video we watched had a tie in writing assignment were we either had to write a short story or scene involving the characters or written in the style of the piece.

Our final was a +25 page writing/creative thinking assignment. We broke up into groups or like 2-3 (?) people and were told tat we had to create a society in Canada (North West of Yellow Knife) during WWII. The society consisted on the entire class and anyone else you wanted to bring. You had to divide the labor, detail what you would bring, and how you would survive one year (without contacting the outside world). You also then had to write several stories based on several scenarios that was on a light of like 20 (?).

Since I was playing RPGs at the time (one of the group members was in my DND group), we asked if we were allowed to bring "fictional" people into our society. We were given the ok so we then brought in several 10th level dnd characters, a crime fighting group from my Super Heroes Unlimited game, and a mech crew.

Remove ads