• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Mono Class Party

Zardnaar

Legend
All rogue party is awesome. We did it in 2E and it was a blast. No frontline to protect you from the baddies. No healing. No artillery support. Just you, your wits and your willingness to run away from everything you didn't get into position to backstab. Highly recommended. D&D on hard/crazy mode. I think it'd be about the same in 5E.

I actually find highly optimized parties a boring. When you have to cobble together cockamamie solutions to plug gaping holes in your skillsets is when things really get going. Plan B is always more fun than Plan A. Plan Z that much more so.

We did a thieves guiild type game once but we did not try doing it with prepublished adventures.

Zardnaar

Legend
All rogue party is awesome. We did it in 2E and it was a blast. No frontline to protect you from the baddies. No healing. No artillery support. Just you, your wits and your willingness to run away from everything you didn't get into position to backstab. Highly recommended. D&D on hard/crazy mode. I think it'd be about the same in 5E.

I actually find highly optimized parties a boring. When you have to cobble together cockamamie solutions to plug gaping holes in your skillsets is when things really get going. Plan B is always more fun than Plan A. Plan Z that much more so.

We did a thieves guild type game once in 2E but we did not try doing it with prepublished adventures.

Tanaka Chris

First Post
All Bard Party, dubbed the Trolls

One Str Bard, Expertise Grappling (Grapples and, Prones the Enemy)
Other Bards employ Enhance Ability, Cutting Words and Bardic Inspiration to ensure the target NEVER escapes
Advantage on all Melee Attacks on the poor sod as he cries from Vicious Mockeries.

Bayonet

First Post
I think Clerics would be ideal for a one-class party. Depending on builds and sub-classes, you're going to cover a lot of ground when it comes to party 'roles'.

RP wise, it also makes a lot of sense. Your PC's are envoys/crusaders sent by an allied group of churches to investigate/protect/destroy/scourge Something-or-other. The idea of a group of Holy Men and Women banding together to fight evil, but then bickering over minute religious doctrine over the campfire is pretty entertaining.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
All wizard could struggle a bit. Assuming you are using prepublished adventures not DM customises game to your party.
It's probably pretty workable if the party is Dip Class 1/Wizard X. The party just needs to make some well rounded characters, and not just go pure Int. Once they hit level 6 and get 3rd level spells, it's pretty much game over.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads