The Monster Project

Alphastream

Adventurer
My personal preference would be to have .monster files. The new beta (more like alpha) online monster builder is able to import .monster files, so it really is the most flexible format (assuming you are using MB to make them).

That said, pdf is very nice for those just wanting to see what the monster is and use it in their game. I think many DMs would like to be able to take a cool idea and fine-tune it (if only to level it up or down for their campaign).

the Jester

Legend
My personal preference would be to have .monster files. The new beta (more like alpha) online monster builder is able to import .monster files, so it really is the most flexible format (assuming you are using MB to make them).

I'm afraid I am not. The version I have (pre-last update) is too buggy and frustrating too often, with its random revisions to monsters, and I have weird Windows 7-based issues with it too. I actually write them up in OpenOffice and just do all the math in my head.

I was holding out for a good update that didn't rip tons of content out of the MB, but that ain't happening. Alternatively, I was holding out for the online version to be good, but, well, from what I hear it can't actually build monsters yet. So.... meh.

surfarcher

First Post
Wow! I cant believe I hadn't twigged to this thread yet! I'm gonna XP the hell out of you for this Jester...

Any chance of getting these as masterplan libraries? Depending on how you have these stored I'd be happy to help make it so. Programatically ripping office files often isn't that hard.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Sorry, I used Masterplan briefly but that was on my old 'puter and I never did anything with it to speak of.

The stuff I have is a collection of Word and OpenOffice files; I'd be happy to provide them for you.

I am of course slowly updating many/most of these.

surfarcher

First Post
Well like I said I should be able to do something with them... Hell even if it's manual :D

Probably best to take this to PMs and just update this thread if and when it's appropriate.

surfarcher

First Post
A quick update.

I've scraped all the posts for the level 1 - 10 creatures to text file and run them through my conversion proggy successfully.

There are some hiccups, especially where there's been changes to the MM3 format, but it's not too bad.

The downside is I now have almost 300 creatures to check in masterplan.

Anyone interested in helping me with that please do drop a line on this thread.

surfarcher

First Post
Little update:

Well I've hit a coulpe of hiccups...

Masterplan has some bugs when importing HTML format monsters. It doesn't recognise ranged basic attacks or area attacks correctly.

Naturally I assumed that this came back to bugs in my code, but after getting a couple of sample files from DDI (yes all legit - my players have accounts) it seems to be a masterplan bug.

Building proper .monster XML format files from the stuff posted on here would take (a) many times more code or (b) a huge amount of hand editing. Neither of which I am up for.

So I'll continue down the path of producing valid ealry DDI HTML files, get rid of a few annoying bugs and see where we end up!

Remove ads