• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Mother of Dreams - Episode 5 (updated February 1st, 2005)

Introduction:
As the world begins a renaissance of discovery, nobles and kings sponsor adventurers to explore the ruins of ancient ages. One such group of professional heroes falls upon a trail to an old, sinister plot that has not yet run its course. But these heroes, the quest is just another job, and saving the world is not as important as finding friendship and a place in the world.

This is a serialized fantasy story, not an accounting of a game. I know that may turn some of you off, but please, bear with me. Unlike a standard storyhour, the updates for this story will each be between 5 and 10 pages long, intended as actual chapters rather than the quick vignets that are popular now. I'm writing this story like I'd write a serial novel, so if you're interested in reading it, read it as such.

Take a few minutes to read the first post, and if you find yourself wanting to know what happens to the characters, read on. Expect to find sympathetic characters with entertaining problems, beautiful and mysterious vistas for adventure, and dangers both personal and epic.

I only have the first five chapters here. If you're interested in reading more, please email me at RangerWickett@hotmail.com.

Episodes and Sections
Episode One - Section I
Episode One - Section II
Episode One - Section III

Episode Two - Section I
Episode Two - Section II
Episode Two - Section III

Episode Three - Section I
Episode Three - Section II
Episode Three - Section III
Episode Three - Section IV

Episode Four - Section I
Episode Four - Section II
Episode Four - Section III
Episode Four - Section IV
Episode Four - Section V

Episode Five - Section I
Episode Five - Section II
Episode Five - Section III
Episode Five - Section IV
Episode Five - Section V
Episode Five - Section VI
Episode Five - Section VII

Last edited:

The Mother of Dreams

Episode One: The Song of the Deep, Section I

“I told you: practically no monsters.” Allar planted the crossguard of his scimitar in the nearest ghoul’s eye, then spun his blade, slashing the creature’s head in two. “And these certainly don’t qualify.”

Allar ducked and slashed out a ghoulish knee as beside him, his armor-clad and bull-horned ally Babb rammed his long shield into two ghouls at once. Babb dodged as another ghoul’s claw swept at his face, and then he retaliated, kicking the ghoul in the chest with his hoof. To Allar he boomed, “They’re walking dead. What do you think counts as a monster?”

On Allar’s left side, Lirensce stabbed a ghoul in the chest and replied, “Golems. Chimera. Very irate clowns.”

All down the hall, from long abandoned mine tunnels, secret treasure stashes, and shallowly-buried coffins, the horde of rotting undead pressed after the adventurers. Outnumbered, they fled, with Allar, Babb, and Lirensce forming a defensive line of swords the width of the hall, and David, Lacy, and Crassus directing the group down the twisting tunnels of the old tomb.

Panting desperately, the three-foot tall David led their retreat, his glowing light talisman revealing the path as fast as his short Jispin legs could carry him. The expedition’s leader, Crassus, shouted directions to the others, his gravely voice strained and nervous. Lacy was mostly quiet except for the occasional incantation as she dropped magical barriers behind them to slow the pursuit of the undead. The whole tomb was riddled with anti-magical wards, and the barriers never lasted long.

“I can’t keep this up much longer,” Lacy shouted.

“It’s alright,” David gasped from the front. “We’re coming up to a door. Sealed, with sigils in Ragesian. It’s probably trapped.”

Angered panic in his voice, Crassus shouted to David, “We’re being overwhelmed. There’s no time to look for traps. Just blast the damned door.”

David shook his head. “If we can get inside we’ll have cover. I’m not destroying it.”

“I’ll be right there,” Allar called back.

A ghoul leapt at Allar and knocked him to the ground, but it was only a moment before Lacy slashed at its face to drive it back, and Babb clove it in two with his sword. Lirensce grabbed Allar by his arm, and he was back up before the swarm of ghouls could take advantage of the opening.

“So,” Babb said over the stinking snarls of the ghouls, “undead count as monsters.”

A ghoul dove in under Babb’s shield and bit him on the thigh through his plate armor. Babb growled to emphasize his point. Allar slashed it away with his scimitar, then ran to catch up with David, letting Lacy take his place in the line.

David pointed at the door, and Allar hurriedly slid up next to it to look for triggers, traps, or other dangers. He could just barely feel the vibration of hostile wards on the door, but he needed time to see just where they were. As he searched he shouted back to Babb, “Undead are a special case. They’re cursed uneasy spirits, not mindless monsters.”

Twenty feet away at the defensive line, Babb shield-bashed the nearest ghoul, then hacked through it and the ghoul next to it. “Until I hear one talk, they’re monsters.”

Allar kept searching the door, while behind him the sounds of combat dwindled to just the hisses of ghouls and the scrape of their claws on stones.

“They’ve stopped,” Lirensce said. “They know we’re trapped.”

Allar glanced back, then chuckled weakly. “Obviously too smart to be monsters. Hey Lacy, it’d help if I knew what all these curses and damnations on the door said.”

David held up his fire talisman for Allar to see, and he grinned. “This ought to hold them off.”

A moment later Lacy was beside him, and Allar felt and heard a distant explosion of fire, followed by shrieks of burning ghouls. He watched Lacy translate the inscriptions, listening to Babb cursing the stench caused by David’s fireball.

Lacy whimpered and looked down to Allar. “The door says, ‘Death to all magic.’”

Allar quickly stepped away from the door, and Crassus snarled angrily. Lacy shrugged to them.

“Heads up!” Babb shouted.

Allar looked back to the mass of ghouls blocking their escape, and saw one ghoul shoving its way to the front of the horde. Its body was tense with muscles rotting through emaciated flesh, and it wore a kingly brown burial robe with red suburst etchings. To Allar’s dismay it leaned low and shouted to the ghouls at front. “Mbi aonxkbhi octahobnte nx npexae uem ohn npoceinaiot Leska.”

Everyone held their breath.

“Kto to nonyvaer mhe wnary,” the ghoul continued, shoving a lesser ghoul away down the tunnel.

Allar readied his sword and moved to support the others in what might be their last defense. When he came up beside Babb, Babb whispered, “Alright, you win.”

The speaking ghoul reached into its robe and pulled forth a large bearskull, etched with designs. With both hands it lifted the skull to its face, placing it on like a mask. The rest of the ghouls backed away, seemingly in fear.

Allar tensed to leap forward and attack, but Lirensce grabbed him and stopped him, whispering, “Crassus will counter whatever spell he casts.”

Glancing quickly behind him, Allar saw the aged wizard watching the ghoul intently, trying to understand its spell being cast in a forgotten tongue. Then, in a flurry of hand gestures, Crassus pulled out a palmful of powder and swirled it in the air, shouting a counter invocation as the ghoul raised a clenched fist. The air thrummed with magic around them, and a wall of flame erupted from the floor between the adventurers and the ghouls.

They backed away from the fires, and Babb shouted back, “Nice one, Crassus. Now we’re just going to suffocate.”

“That wasn’t my spell, fool,” Crassus snarled. “This door absorbed my counterspell.”

“Oh, I get it.” Babb smiled. He laughed, impressed. “The ghouls don’t need air. Nice trap.”

David kicked the Geidon lightly in his shin. “You’re not supposed to be happy that a trap is going to kill us.”

“The rest of the ones in this place weren’t that good. Too many previous tomb robbers.” Babb shrugged, then turned and shouted at the ghouls, “We really appreciate your trap!”

Lacy smiled, “You’re enjoying this too much.”

The group clustered near the door, as far away from the searing flames as possible. The ghoul beneath the bear-skull mask shoved his hands forward, and the wall of flames advanced after them slowly.

Allar cringed. “Any ideas?”

Babb pointed at the door. “This way leads to only maybe death.”

Lirensce sheathed his sword and nodded. “I like those odds.”

Allar looked to Crassus. “The door, then?”

Crassus hesitated, then saw the wall of fire barely ten feet away and nodded. “Is it trapped?”

“Just the anti-magic,” Allar said, grabbing the handle of the door and twisting. “We’re good. I’m practically sure of it.”

The door swung open a crack, and frigid air burst outward. The others surged past him, David first with his light talisman, flooding the room with radiance. The floor was covered with simple sand, but the rest of the room gleamed in silver and gold, the walls and ceiling plated with intricately worked metal. There were no other doors, but in the center of the room, thirty feet away, was a heavy gold coffin, surrounded by four unlit torches.

At the door, Allar waited for the rest of the group to go through. Over the laughter of the ghouls and the crackling flames of the advancing wall, Allar thought he could hear singing coming from inside the room. He almost stopped, but Lirensce grabbed him and pulled him inside just as the wall of fire reached the doorway. When it entered the chamber, the torches flared to life, and the flaming barrier exploded outward.

Allar and Lirensce were knocked off their feet. Allar fell low into the sand, but Lirensce was hurled high through the air, directly toward the coffin.

“Oh, that’s definitely a trap,” Babb sighed.

The instant Lirensce touched the surface of the coffin, David’s light spell was extinguished. Lirensce screamed, and for the moment they could see before everything went black, the man appeared to be engulfed in flame. A piercing wail shuddered out from the coffin, and the entire room was plunged into darkness.

Allar only had time to shout, “David!” when the floor beneath him gave way. He was not sinking into the sand, but instead falling through air, as if the floor beneath the sand had vanished. Reaching out reflexively, he felt his sword strike stone and he grabbed for purchase, halting his fall for a moment. But he couldn’t hold, and he bounced against the wall, not knowing how far or to where. The others also cried out as they fell, and Lirensce’s agonized shrieks echoed over them all.

Finally, painfully, Allar’s fall stopped, and he repressed a scream as he felt something pierce his left arm. The wall beside him began to make a grinding sound, stone on stone, and overhead he heard the heavy sound of the room’s door thundering shut.

“Light!” he groaned out, trying to reach for his own torches but stuck by whatever had pierced his arm. He flailed with his scimitar, and felt it clang off of metal to one side, stone to another. “Light!”

“My magic isn’t working,” David called back, seeming just a few feet away. “God help us.”

“I’ve got a torch,” shouted Lacy’s voice, followed by the sounds of her trying to create a spark. The grinding from the wall was louder, and accompanied by the scraping of blades.

A moment later, Babb groaned from the same direction. “Lacy, get off a’ me.”

Allar said, “Babb, you alive?”

“Unh.”

“What about-?”

The scraping of blades was close, now, and as a flicker of torchlight pushed away the darkness, Allar saw a whirling mechanism of chains and scythes inches from his face. He cried out and pushed away to the nearest wall, tearing his left arm free from the spike he had landed on, which he only now could see. From across the room, Babb cursed loudly and shoved himself to his feet. He had landed with his shield between him and the rows of spikes, and Lacy atop him. Now, the mechanism of whirling blades was a few feet away from him, extending like a giant slashing arm from an opening in the stone wall. There were several bladed arms spaced across the room, pressing out slowly, slashing so that anything that had fallen between the spikes would be cut to pieces.

Allar sprinted to where David had fallen to the floor, between the spikes. He grabbed the Jispin mage and pulled him out of the way just as one of the arms scraped through where he would have been.

“We’re trapped,” Lacy shouted, holding up her torch as she and Babb backed away to the far wall. The door out of the room was beyond the range of the torchlight, and the safe space in the room was quickly vanishing. David and Allar were only a dozen feet away from Lacy and Babb, but one of the bladed arms separated them.

“This trap is not fun!” Babb growled.

David pointed to the wall, where the bladed shafts extended from. He shouted, “If we can stop one of these from spinning, it might break the mechanism!”

Babb nodded and braced his shield against his shoulder, then heaved all his weight into the nearest shaft, trying to knock it askew. The room filled with the keening screech of metal rending metal, and Babb fell away in a spray of blood as the blades chewed through his armor and shoulder. Near the room’s wall, however, something snapped, and the scything arm fell free, scraping across the ground wildly and getting caught in the other blade arms.

All across the room, the metal arms began to tear free and crash into each other. Beneath them, the stones of the ground cracked, shafts of metal piercing upward as whatever mechanism powered the trap tore itself apart. The ground gave way under Allar, and he leapt for safety, but could not reach solid ground. Lacy dropped her torch and dove to grab him, and for a brief moment, Allar hung in the air. But then the floor beneath her shattered as well, and they fell into darkness.

Last edited:

Episode One: The Song of the Deep, Section II

“Iei so m menus sa. I ei sa emenus sa. Iei so mm meneus sa. Ii iei sa emeh nu uus sa.”

It was quiet now, and indeed, Allar could hear singing, far, far overhead. It sounded like something his parents might have sung to him as he dreamed. It was a man’s voice, low, full of lament, and though he couldn’t understand its words, Allar knew it told a tale of a long journey. The music echoed down from above, and he felt something tug at his soul. The song was beautiful, but for some reason he was afraid of it. Lest it overwhelm him, he forced himself to ignore it, focus on where he had fallen.

The place, wherever it was, was completely dark, but not claustrophobic. Babb’s breathing was wet and rasping, and David was actually snoring. Allar lay on his back, on stone. There was a heavy, soft weight on his chest. Lacy’s body, he realized. He remembered twisting in midair so that he would cushion the woman’s fall. She was breathing, so he could forgive her for the intense piercing pain from his broken ribs. He tried to focus on the warmth of Lacy’s body, not feeling strong enough yet to move.

Occasionally there would be the soft sound of dust or bits of stone raining down lightly, but mostly, the world was still. Quiet, except for the song above.

“Al, stop singing.” Babb’s voice was slurred.

“Babb?” When Allar spoke, he tasted blood in his mouth. “I’m-. I’m not singing.”

“Good. You alive?”

“Yeah.”

“Damn,” Babb groaned. “I was looking forward to proving my sister wrong about the whole afterlife thing. How far did we fall?”

Lacy began to shift. She placed a hand on Allar’s chest and started to push herself up, but Allar yelped in pain, and Lacy fell over in surprise, landing on top of him again. He coughed, and Lacy nervously moved off him.

“Who did I land on?” she asked. “I’m sorry.”

Allar chuckled. “Don’t worry, it’s just me. Be careful. I don’t know if there’s anything down here. And I don’t trust that singing.”

“What singing?” Lacy asked.

The singing had stopped. Now they could hear, softly breaking the silence overhead, something moving. Metal scraping metal, then the slight sounds of footsteps, creaking stones, debris being disturbed.

Allar tried to sit up, but the pain in his chest forced him back down. Gasping, he said, “Could that be Crassus? Or Lirensce?”

“Or ghouls,” Lacy said. “If it were Crassus or Lirensce, they’d be calling for us. I don’t think either of them made it out. Oh! What about David?”

“He’s here,” Allar groaned. “Not too far away. Can we get some light?”

Babb, still making no sounds of movement, said, “Lacy, can you help Al out? His groans of pain are getting annoying.”

“What about you?” she asked.

“I’m in pain too, but I’m not complaining. Something’s got me pinned. Don’t worry, I can still feel all my fingers and hooves.”

A few moments later, Lacy had a torch lit. Everyone squinted at the sudden light, but they quickly looked around to get their bearings. They lay at the bottom of a sloping tunnel, fifteen feet wide. The cave was mostly natural, with rough stairs tracing a path up the tunnel at a sharp angle. Debris from the destroyed trap in the tomb room lay strewn about them, and Babb was caught at the edge of the largest pile, rocks covering his back, legs, and one of his arms. Metal shafts, blades, and chains from the trap’s mechanism had lodged in the walls of the tunnel, forming a rough fence that had deflected most of the falling stones.

“Great,” Allar said. “If we try to climb out, we’ll probably bring the whole room down on us.”

“Where are we?” Lacy asked, standing up nervously, looking around.

“Worry about that later,” Allar said. “Something up there’s moving, and we might have to kill it if it comes down here. Hand me the torch and check on David.”

David lay on his side a few feet from Babb, any injuries hidden under his brown robes. Lacy knelt beside his short body and began checking for wounds. She made sure not to touch his bare skin, but after a moment she sighed in relief.

“He’s not bleeding, just bruised. I could try to heal him, but it might just end up hurting him instead.”

Allar nodded. Lacy was human, while David was Jispin, a naturally magical race. They both used magic in their own ways, but if Lacy’s human magic interacted with David’s innate aura, it could harm him if she was not careful. Babb, a Geidon – a hybrid race that resembled bull-headed men – could benefit from either type of magic. Allar, half-human, half-Elvish, found himself not suited for either.

Favoring the puncture wound on his arm, Allar said, “Get Babb first, then.”

“What about you?” Lacy said. “I’ve never had to heal a half-Elf before.”

Allar shook his head, smiling weakly. “I get the worst of both worlds. Nobody’s magic likes me. The one other half-Elf I met, even she had a hard time getting her spells to work on me. Usually when I get hurt I just have to tough it out, but if you’re good enough and you want to try. . . .”

“I’m good enough,” Lacy smiled back. She tossed her hair over her shoulder and leaned low so she could touch Babb. “I’ve had a lot of experience with my adoptive brother here.”

Lacy whispered a short incantation, then placed a hand on Babb’s forehead, between his horns. A soft green light fell over them for a moment, then faded. Shaking his head, Babb crawled free of the rubble, then stood up and stretched.

“Not the most entertaining tomb I’ve robbed,” he said, “but certainly the one that’s come closest to killing me.”

Allar said, “Don’t speak too soon. The only way out of here is either up through that mess and back to the ghouls, or, if we’re lucky, one of those crags in the wall leads to another tunnel. I think this must be some sort of foundation of the tomb, something left over from when they first built it who knows how long ago.”

“Twenty-eight hundred years,” Lacy said. “From what I read off the inscriptions in this place, it’s the tomb for some fiendishly evil sorceress, from the Ragesian Empire. I can understand why they’d want such expensive anti-magic wards.”

“Yeah, Allar,” Babb joked. “Weren’t you paying attention?”

From overhead, back in the tomb, an unfamiliar voice sang down to them. “You freed me from death / and returned my infinity. / Live you four on rot or breath / and be you now my enemy?”

The three of them exchanged nervous glances.

“Was he speaking Geidon?” Babb whispered.

“I heard Lyceian,” Lacy replied. “Must be a spell. Who is he?”

Allar shrugged. “He doesn’t sound like a fiendishly evil sorceress.”

He forced himself to his knees, then shouted back to the voice, “We are explorers, not enemies. Who are you? Is anyone alive up there?”

“Alive foes you are weak / for death sunless lives under. / Revenge now I seek / to cut the world asunder.” This was followed by the sound of rubble shifting, and a soft and quick clicking sound. “I come down now to kill you four, / as I killed these two before. / Their life will fuel my dying task, / to kill the whore who wore a mask.”

“He’s probably evil,” Babb said. “But not a monster.”

Allar frowned at Babb, then waved Lacy over. “Help me, quick.”

Lacy moved over, gritted her teeth, and placed her hand on Allar’s chest, chanting an incantation. A sharp jolt of pain flashed in Allar’s heart as Lacy’s human magic clashed with his Elvish blood, but then the pain faded, and he could breathe more easily.

“Maybe it’s just me,” Babb said. “But I don’t feel like fighting anything right now. It was probably him singing in that coffin, and so whoever he is, he’s been around for however long Lacy said it was.”

The voice overhead was singing again, indecipherable and mournful. “Iei so m menus sa. I ei sa emenus sa.”

Allar scanned the walls, spotting a crack that might wide enough for them to squeeze through. “Babb, pick up David. My gut tells me this is one of those ancient ineffable evils that we probably weren’t supposed to disturb.”

Lacy said, “But he killed Crassus and Lirensce.”

Babb put his hand on Lacy’s shoulder and shook his head, his dark eyes sad. “They wouldn’t want us to get killed too. Well, maybe Crassus would. But we gotta go.”

Babb bent down and picked up David easily, cradling the Jispin man in one arm. In the scant torchlight, Allar waved for them to follow as he climbed through a crack in the wall near the floor. The far side opened up into a long, craggy tunnel, roughly six feet around, winding off into the distance in two directions. From behind him, Allar could hear the song moaning high and low.

“Iei so m menus sa. I ei sa emeh nu us sa.”

None of them spoke as they filed into the new tunnel. The left passage sloped more uphill, so Allar picked that direction, and they moved. Crackling torchlight cut a small field of light from the barren cavern’s darkness, and they fled the tomb and its mysterious occupant. They talked little, glancing often behind to see if they were being followed, but the song faded into the distance, and they pressed into the deep. After a long walk, over stones that may once have been man-made, but that had since been warped to resemble a natural tunnel, the tunnel stopped heading uphill, and began sloping deeper. Allar stopped, grumbling.

“We can’t just keep running. Who knows if this tunnel even goes anywhere.”

Lacy, too tall to stand upright, sat down and sighed. “Now you’re saying we should turn back?”

“Yes.” Allar nodded. “Maybe. I just don’t . . . trust caves.”

Babb looked behind them, then set David down, trying to find a space clear of jagged edges. “Lacy, can you give the gnome a look?”

Lacy sighed again. “Alright, but I don’t want to risk healing him. I barely got it to work for Allar, and he doesn’t use magic.”

She crawled across the floor and sat next to David, unslinging her shoulder pack and searching for supplies. Meanwhile, Babb walked over to Allar and lightly pushed him on his chest.

“What’s your problem, Babb?”

Babb shoved him again, lightly, then reached out and grabbed Allar’s arm as the man reached for his sword. “You’re panicking,” Babb said. “You know if we head back, even if that singing thing isn’t dangerous, the dozens of ghouls are.”

“But we don’t know what’s down here,” Allar said. “These tunnels might go nowhere, and we don’t have enough torches to risk getting lost.”

Babb shook his heavy head. “You know that’s wrong. David can light us up, and he should be coming around soon. The man’s a reliable little snot. We’ve got enough food for two days, and I’d rather go hungry than let the ghouls nibble on me.”

Allar pulled away and looked down the tunnel. It was impossible to see more than a few feet, beyond which it was black, unknown. If he had his mother’s Elvish eyes, he’d be able to at least make out some of the shapes in the darkness. He scowled, remembering his mother and why he hated being here.

“It’s too dangerous to keep going. We don’t know what could be down here.”

“What’s down here?” Babb laughed, and his deep voice echoed away in two directions. “We just had the most disastrous little adventure I’ve ever heard about, and you’re worried that something might be living down here? I hope so. We’ll need food.”

Lacy looked up from her treatment of David. “If that tomb was Ragesian, I recall that they were rumored to have used tunnels for moving supplies. I think some of the Tundanesti Elves managed to smuggle themselves out of Kequalak using old tunnels like these.”

“I know,” Allar said. “This isn’t the first time I’ve been down in these sorts of passages.”

“So,” Babb asked, “you didn’t die then, did you? What are you afraid of?”

Allar glared back at the Geidon. “I’m not afraid. But it might be days before we find another place this tunnel could reach the surface, if ever.”

“Al, we’re trapped down here. Going back is not an option. You need to think of how we’re going to survive to see sunlight again. Look, you said you’ve been in tunnels like this before. Is there any chance we might find some running water, or bats or something?”

Allar swallowed dryly, worried they might not trust him if they later found out he was hiding something. But most people didn’t even believe him when he talked about dark Elves, and this shallow they were unlikely to run into any. He didn’t speak for a moment, wondering what to say.

Babb lightly shook him. “Al, if you’re going to panic here and try to go back, let us know, alright? If you go back, you’ll die anyway, so at least give us the chance to kill you so we’ll have more to eat.”

Smiling slightly, Allar shook his head to relieve his nervousness. “No, we’ll be fine. We’ve probably got a long walk ahead of us, though.”

“Good,” Babb laughed. “We can share old adventure stories.”

Allar chuckled. “Maybe when we get out of this alive. In a place like this, we should try to stay as quiet as possible.”

From nearby, Lacy winked to Allar and said, “Yes. We need to make sure the dark Elves don’t find us.”

Allar stared at her. “You . . . you know about dark Elves?”

She shrugged. “I read a lot about monsters and myths.” At Babb’s confused expression, Lacy added, “They’re supposedly called the Taranesti. Demon Elves that live underground, fleeing from the sun. I imagine they’d look like Kohalesti, only, you know, more demon-y. They’re basically Elvish bogeymen. You don’t have to worry about them, Babb.”

Allar let out the breath he was holding. “We fought ghouls less than an hour ago. I wouldn’t write off Taranesti.”

Lacy said, “But dark Elves are a myth. Ghouls are just mindless monsters.”

Under Lacy’s ministration, David began to stir. Allar walked over to him.

“Hey there, David. Everything in one piece?”

David rubbed his eyes, favoring his right hand. He looked up at Allar and tapped the side of his head, trying to shake off the dull pain of recent unconsciousness. “You didn’t get us killed. That’s a pleasant surprise.”

Allar grinned. “Glad to hear you’re feeling better.”

“How long was I out?”

“Just an hour or so. We’re running low on torches. Can you magic up some light for us?”

“Where are we?”

Babb tapped a short beat on his armor to get their attention. “Something in that coffin came alive and started spouting off poetry at us, so we ran away.”

“Sounds reasonable,” David said.

Allar said, “Remember those tunnels under the Tunda Mountains I spent some time patrolling? I think this place is something like that. I can’t be sure, but I think we’re heading west.”

David frowned. “I thought you didn’t like the underground. Didn’t you-?”

Allar held up a hand to stop him. “It’s this or get killed by ghouls. The air here’s fresh enough, so there should be something that leads up to the surface not far away.”

“It’s just the four of us?”

They all nodded quietly.

Allar sighed. “Whatever it was that came out of that coffin in the tomb, it said it had killed Lirensce and Crassus.”

David stood up and looked around the narrow cave, which was twice as high as his head. He pulled out one of his talismans, a small glass vial filled with brown spices. He clenched it, then winced and glared at Allar.

“Warn me next time one of you touches me. I could’ve been casting something dangerous.”

Babb laughed. “You should all just wear gloves.”

“Yeah,” David said. “Harlan did a great job picking out his adventuring team. Lacy can heal everyone except me and Allar. I think I broke one of my fingers.”

“But you use more magic than Lacy,” Babb said. “Why can’t you just heal yourself?”

David was silent, but Allar laughed and said, “His mother was excellent at healing magic, so David never thought he’d need to learn it himself.”

“Momma’s boy,” Babb said.

“I’ll ask my mother the next time I see her,” David sighed. “But you’re lucky I’m a generous person who’s very forgiving.”

“The torch is dying,” Lacy pointed out.

David grumbled and nodded, then concentrated again on his talisman. A dim red light filled the tunnel around them, weaker than David’s usual light spell. David held his talisman high and glanced around.

“The walls here are riddled with that same white stone we saw in the tomb. Ugh. Is the rest of the tunnel like this?”

“Yeah,” Babb said. “Why, what’s wrong?”

“It’s antimagical. Who would make some place like this?”

Lacy shrugged. “It did say ‘death to all magic,’ and the tomb was supposed to hold an evil sorceress, but thankfully she doesn’t seem to be undead. Will we have light?”

David nodded unhappily. “Yeah, we’ll have light. Now we just need to find a way out.”

Babb stood up, taking care not to bump his head on the low ceiling. “Well, momma’s boy, you can walk on your own now, so I don’t have to carry you. Al, want to lead the way?”

Allar snorted. The tunnel had only two paths, and they had found no other turns or passages. Laughing, he started walking. “Sure. I’ll try not to get us lost.”

Last edited:

Episode One: The Song of the Deep, Section III

Perhaps days passed. The path stretched on endlessly, punctuated every few hours by a small cubby cut into the wall, stocked with ages-old jars, once intended for travelers, now rotted away. The only passing of time they knew were conversation, hunger, and exhaustion. After thrice sleeping and four meals, after a hundred miles or more of featureless, cramped tunnels, of nervous conversations and desperate attempts to keep their spirits up, they found something new.

“It’s a snail,” Allar said, crouching beside the tiny creature, smaller than the tip of his finger. It was crushed, and he never would have noticed it if he hadn’t stepped on it.

David held his light close, and a thin, slowly drying trail of slime reflected the red glow. Careful to avoid ruining the trail, Allar crawled along the ground for thirty feet, looking for where the snail could have come from, until he found a small crack in the ground. The rock was slick with mold.

“There’s water nearby here, I think.” Allar stood up, about to look at the ceiling. But the rocks beneath his feet crumbled, and he jumped aside as a four-foot wide section of the floor caved in. Dust filled the air, and then came the sound of rock splashing into water. The noise of the small cave in echoed for several seconds, and when the dust cleared, they all peered into the new opening. David’s light spell flickered briefly into a full white light.

“It’s a natural cave,” David said. “None of the white stones down there.”

“At least we found a landmark,” Babb said. “No reason not to explore it.”

With the practiced caution of professional tomb robbers, Allar, Lacy, Babb, and David explored the cave. It was moist, covered in fungus that spread a fog of spore dust over the floor. Their footsteps crunched occasionally on snails, or splashed in shallow puddles. The cave sloped roughly down and away, and grew only more humid the deeper they probed. Finally, a hundred feet in, they found the river.

At first just a stream of water, it flowed uphill from a black, twenty-foot wide tunnel. Water dripped upward to the ceiling, and as they watched, a pool of water began to form in a depression on the ground just past the crest of the slope of the tunnel, spreading as water flowed upward from the depths. The air grew cold, impossibly wet, like trying to breathe underwater. A rushing sound like waves crashed through the room. Shadows darkened. David’s light faded. The room was nothing but blackness and weight, oppressive and intangible.

Suddenly, brilliant light flooded the room, flaring out from David’s talisman. Lacy shuddered and nearly slumped to the ground, but Babb caught her. David likewise staggered, and only Allar was free to see behind them. A hundred feet away, the long, endless tunnel where they had been just moments before was crackling with lurid red light, pulsing like a guttering candle. The wisps of low fog were sucked away, and around the rift in the ceiling, patches of mold and fungus dissolved to ash.

Lacy whimpered against Babb’s chest, her voice hidden by the sound of the cavern creaking around them. And then, after just a few breaths, the tunnel was silent again, David’s light again a relaxed gleam. There were no echoes, just the faint trickling as the stream that had flowed uphill seeped away, back into the depths.

Babb was comforting Lacy, who looked far more distressed than Allar would have expected. Lacy whispered something to the Geidon, and Babb asked in confusion, “‘Mother’?”

Allar knelt beside David, who was composing himself. Urgently, he asked, “What was that?”

It was Lacy who replied. “The Scourge. It felt like something was drinking from my heart.”

David stared at Lacy, nodding nervously. “Me too. What-?”

“It’s a legend,” Lacy said. “When the Ragesian Empire fell, a witch lay a curse that would drink the life from all magic-users.”

David glared at her in disbelief. “And you didn’t think of mentioning this before?”

“Most of these things don’t end up being true. I also know a legend that says there’s an invisible gnome that has an archdevil hidden in a hole in his chest. Should I have mentioned that one too?”

“Actually, I know that one.” David shrugged. “Alright, you have a point. Why aren’t we dead, though?”

“Less talk, more move,” Babb said, pointing down the tunnel. “That’s a different direction than the death thing. I say we go that way.”

Allar shook his head. “We’re not going any deeper.”

“It’s been working for us so far,” Babb said. “If we hadn’t come in here, we’d be dead.”

Allar crossed his arms. “How can you be sure?”

Lacy cleared her throat, then said, “A- . . . according to legend, they – and by they I mean I can’t remember if anyone even knows their names – managed to seal the power of the Scourge, so it couldn’t feed.”

“The stones,” David exclaimed. “All those white stones that absorb magic. They’re what’s trapping the Scourge. We were the first magic to come down here in a thousand years.”

“Twenty-eight hundred years,” Babb corrected.

“Right,” Lacy said.

Babb looked to Allar. “It sounds like that tunnel keeps in the whole ‘evil’ thing, which makes us safe here, and not safe in there.”

“Why didn’t it kill us before?” Allar asked. “We were in there for at least a few days.”

Everyone looked to Lacy. The tall woman squinted, thinking. “I have no idea. Just lucky, I guess.”

“Lacy,” Babb said, “you’re never lucky. The last two men who liked you ended up stealing our jobs. Can you think of something a little more comforting?”

Lacy shrugged again, and then everyone turned to look down the natural cave tunnel, which sloped off sharply into the depths. Lacy asked, “Um, did anyone else get the feeling that the water was alive?”

They pondered the path, and then, by silent, mutual agreement, began to climb downward, into the Great Below. When they were finally out of sight of the entrance, Babb gave Allar a friendly poke. “I’m watching you, just so you know.”

Allar saw Babb shift his great horned head toward Lacy. “Third time’s a charm.”

Sighing, Allar shook his head and moved to the front of the group, trying to look for signs of dark Elves or other dangers. But occasionally he glanced back at Lacy, smiling at the thought.

* * *​

These tunnels were like nothing Allar had traveled before – great massive caverns, chambers carved by rivers, narrow corridors rent apart by the slow grinding of earth. High, jagged ceilings disappeared out of range of David’s magical light, and the ground was as uneven as any wild mountain.

There was life here, more than any of them would have imagined. Great carpets of gray and white fungus stretched across the ground and walls in some places. Creepers of tendril-like mold dangled from ceiling to floor like a dense subterranean forest in others. Small insects and snail-like creatures eked out survival around intermittent puddles and patches of moist, powdery earth. Flies buzzed through the air, some large enough to prey on others like bats. It was as if everything that had ever died and sunk into the ground had been reborn, foreign and pale, but alive, in this great, hidden darkness.

At first, every step was revulsion. Unfamiliar textures assaulted them. In many places, the floor was not rock, but a mass of flaccid fungus, thriving on ageless piles of decay and detritus. A handful of snakes they spotted slithered past, pure black against the paler mold, seemingly undisturbed by maggots that grew from sockets where land snakes would have had eyes. The ceiling of one mile-long stretch of smooth, narrow tunnels was covered in bustling, twitching spider webs. The air was always still, always just too chill to be comfortable.

By the time they finally stopped to rest, however, they were tired enough for fatigue to let them ignore the odd spore-mist that wheezed from the floor whenever they had to walk across the fungal ‘grass.’ They breathed comfortably through cloth over their mouths, and took watch as if their surroundings were no stranger than a swamp or jungle. Allar took great pleasure in the fact that the smell of their food seemed to drive away the creatures native here, while Lacy spent her free moments writing on parchment, claiming she remembered once reading a prayer that could purify food, and that she hoped she could recreate the necessary incantation. They slept in a grove of waist-high capped mushrooms, next to what appeared to be a pond of oil.

Away from the hungering tunnels of the ‘Scourge,’ as they took to calling it, conversation came more freely, and Allar was able to laugh at his own nervousness. The Great Below was unsettling, but certainly, they had seen nothing threatening. But when he slept, his dreams were heavy and vague, but filled with whispers.

* * *​

“Up ahead,” Allar said. “A tunnel.”

The group was picking its way through ankle-deep sludge along the bank of the river. They had followed it for most of their second day in the wild caves, but it led downward, and they had seen no passages branching in other directions. The river, at least, provided strange fish the size of a man’s palm, which they had cooked and eaten for lunch. So far, none of them were feeling sick.

Allar moved ahead to check the new tunnel, going as far as he dared from David’s light spell. The river, really just a stream eight feet across, swept away and downhill to the right, while this new tunnel climbed away to the left, sloping uphill ever so slightly. The muddy sludge that made up the river’s banks stopped just a few feet into the tunnel, and though this new passage was smaller than most of the caves they had explored so far, it felt less foreign. No strange shelled creatures scurried across the walls or ceiling, and the ground looked like sturdy stone. More barren, perhaps, but easier to travel.

Allar was about to turn back to the others when he spotted a dark patch on the ground. Kneeling low, he pulled out a small hand lantern and lit it, feeling his throat tighten nervously. As the flame caught, and light flickered into this tunnel for the first time ever, Allar lay eyes upon a footprint, etched in dried mud. Holding his lantern higher, he could see two more footprints, bare feet, five toes each. Then, as if to hide its path, whatever had left the trail had scraped its feet against the stone, smearing the drudge of the river on a protruding rock.

The footprints were short, as graceful as might be possible with mud. But they had to be recent, within a few days, maybe even a few hours. Allar held no doubts that somewhere down in these caves, dangerously near, was a dark Elf. He could not move, and it was more than a minute later when the others finally followed and found him, leaning against the wall, drawing shuddering breaths.

“What does it mean?” Babb asked. “No more jokes from me. If you guys want to tell me about mythical demon Elves from below, I’m more than ready to listen.”

Allar tried to speak, not wanting to appear weak. David looked up at him and whispered, “You can face this. Come on, Allar.”

Lacy was kneeling next to the three brief footprints, and Babb leaned over to snort at her impatiently. She waved a hand at him dismissively, then chanted briefly. She sighed and stood up.

“It’s fairly recent, less than a day, but all I could see was legs running from the river, with dark grey skin. Actually more than I expected, since, well, there wasn’t any actual light here when that happened.”

“Running?” Allar asked. He noticed he was gripping the hilt of his scimitar, and he tried to let go as discreetly as possible. “Why would a dark Elf be running?”

“I didn’t see anything chasing it. Nothing has come by here since then.”

Allar knelt next to the muddy footprint again. “I don’t like this.”

They were quiet for a moment, and then Babb snorted in amusement. “Allar, you think about this stuff way too much. He was probably just in a rush to get that crap out there off his feet. I mean, why do you get so worried every time somebody says ‘dark Elf’?”

Allar took a slow breath, and said, “My parents were killed by dark Elves.”

Lacy and David looked away uncomfortably. Babb managed to look solemn for just a moment, however, and then he laughed.

“I’m sorry,” he said, trying to hold back his chuckles. “This wasn’t recent or something, was it? Because,” he laughed again, “no offense, but isn’t that a little . . . cliché?”

David glared angrily at Babb, but Lacy sheepishly grinned. Allar was too shocked by what Babb had said to reply.

“I mean,” Babb continued, smiling at Allar’s dismay, “haven’t most professional adventurers lost their parents? Lirensce did. Lacy and I did. Heck, Crassus didn’t even leave his home town until his father died of syphillis.”

Lacy nodded weakly, trying to look apologetic. “Babb is just being a little insensitive. He lost his parents twice, actually. His original ones, and then my mother after she adopted him. Not, well, not dark Elves, though.”

Allar scoffed, sputtered, and then looked away. For a moment he wanted to explain everything, but then he heard Babb chuckle. Allar growled quietly.

“If you don’t care, fine,” Allar snapped. “But someone else is down here, so we need to keep quiet.”

Babb asked, “Do you have a problem with Kohalesti Elves? They’re dark-skinned. It’s brown, not grey. And they make nice sculptures. Have you ever seen the bridges in Seaquen? Kohalesti made those. Do the bridges scare you?”

“I’m not frightened,” Allar sneered. “Right now, our goal is to find this dark Elf and have him tell us how to get to the surface. We’ll beat it out of him if necessary. Now, let’s go.”

Not waiting for them to reply, Allar started walking down the tunnel. A few moments later, he heard them follow, thankfully, since otherwise he would not have been able to see where he was headed. The tunnel sloped gently upward, rough but open.

At the back of the group, Allar could hear Babb grumbling. “What’s the big deal?” the Geidon asked. “At least his parents were killed by something interesting. Mine died in an avalanche. Do you know how common avalanches are in the mountains? Pretty damned common.”

“He was very young,” David said defensively. “I was with the Jispin caravan that found him. He was buried in snow under his mother’s body.”

Allar winced, more out of anger than from any clear memory. He had been too young to recall the actual attack.

There was silence for a moment, and then Lacy said, “Then we should trust him. If the Taranesti are dangerous, Allar knows more about them than any of us.”

“I’m not afraid of avalanches,” Babb said, his tone softly mocking.

“Honestly, Babb.” Lacy heaved a sigh and hurried to catch up to Allar.

When she was next to him, she said quietly, “There’s more to this than just something that happened twenty years ago, I’m guessing. Don’t tell me if you don’t feel comfortable. Just tell us if there’s anything we need to know, alright?”

Allar forced out a chuckle. “Do you know any myths about dark Elves?”

“They’re supposed to be immortal,” she said, smiling.

Allar sighed and looked away from her. “Well, that one’s not true. Come on, let’s move. If the Taranesti was running from something, it might be smart for us to run too.”

Babb tried to talk for a few more minutes, but eventually they trailed off into silence.

* * *​

They traveled for a few hours, occasionally slowing when intermittent pockets of heavy, cold air wafted over them. There was no wind, but it felt as though something dead was breathing upon their necks. The feeling always faded quickly, but David was in the process of suggesting they turn back when the sounds of dripping water echoed from the tunnels ahead. Everyone grew quiet in nervousness, and Allar crept forward, scimitar in one hand, lantern in the other.

Twenty feet ahead, the tunnel opened up and sloped suddenly down five feet. Though the light from Allar’s lantern was feeble, the room beyond gleamed, stretching out a hundred feet or more before disappearing into blackness. Hundreds of stalactites and stalagmites rimmed the room, with thin clusters forming pillars that supported a ceiling forty feet high. Pools of water, unknowably deep, covered the floor so that there was more water than solid land. The stone everywhere glistened with moisture, and the flickering glow from Allar’s lantern reflected off dozens of black pools, and glinted on every dangling spire of rock.

It was only a slight drop from the top of the tunnel they had followed to the floor of the lake cavern, so Allar gestured behind him for the others to wait, and he slipped forward. He wanted to scout just a little further, to make sure there was a clear path to walk. He didn’t know how well any of them could swim, and Babb certainly would be in danger if he fell into one of the lakes wearing his heavy armor. But after a quick reconaissance, the only disturbing thing was that even just a few feet from shore, all of the lakes were deeper than the length of Allar’s sword. There was a comfortably wide stretch of dry rock that led to an opening into another chamber, so he slipped back to the others and waved them over.

“Walk carefully,” he said. “And David, dim your light a bit.”

“No dark Elves?” Babb teased.

“No nothing,” Allar replied. “Not even bugs or fish in the water. It’s practically empty.”

They moved through the lake cave carefully, Babb having to sheathe his sword and use the stalagmites as guides to keep his balance. Even with David’s light spell dimmed, the chamber seemed almost as bright as day, the flooded floor reflecting a nearly still glow across the room. At the far end of the chamber, there were two tunnels. One was half-submerged, the other dry. Allar was about to lead them into the dry path when he heard a splashing sound echo from the next room, like someone running through water.

The others grew tense, but Allar held up a hand, then gestured for David to kill his light spell. With just the faintest of lantern light to give away his location, Allar sprinted to the tunnel opening, staying as low as possible. When he reached the edge of the chamber, he pressed his back against the wall, and turned his head ever so slightly to peer around the corner.

Out of the near blackness of the room beyond, Allar saw the rocky ground slope into the water less than twenty feet away, and less than ten feet away, something man-sized moved away, across the stone toward the shore. Allar guessed more than actually saw that it was turning to look at him, so he took cover and held his breath.

The distant splashing continued, and the air began to feel heavy, wet, whispering without sound. The sensation was familiar, and eery, but it passed after a moment, and when Allar was certain he hadn’t been spotted, he waved his hand over the lamp twice quickly, then once slowly, a signal to David that there was one sentry.

It had only been a few seconds since he first heard the sounds from the cave beyond, but now suddenly there was more sound of movement, and with the strange echoes of this chamber, Allar couldn’t tell if they were approaching or not. He held his sword ready and again peeked into the next room.

The sentry was gone.

Cursing to himself, Allar began to back away, looking around in all directions as he ran back to the group. The noise from the next chamber was hectic now, and Allar was certain they had been spotted. He called out to Babb, Lacy, and David, “We’re about to get attacked! Run!”

At that instant, two things happened that incited Allar’s reflexes, and he responded so quickly to each that he did not have time to think. First, from the pool beside his friends, a creature burst forth, clawed arms reaching out to rake as the spray of water concealed it.

“Light, David, light!” Babb was shouting, and suddenly the chamber flared into blinding brilliance.

Allar had leapt at the creature, and in mid-swing, as his scimitar pressed its right arm away, he saw it in pure clearness. David’s light glowed through it, its massive body transparent like water, except at its eyes, where pools of murky black glared at them. Half-again as tall as any of them, its head was nothing but two eyes and a gaping maw of gleaming, watery teeth. Its arms, somehow ridged with a texture impossible in a liquid, slashed inch-long talons across Babb’s face and chest, and it started to embrace him, diving forward with its mouth to tear into his shoulder.

Babb was already roaring in defiance, and he fell back under the creature’s weight, but did not stop fighting. He thrashed his head sideways, goring a horn into the creature’s eye, just as Allar leapt upon its back and drew his sword across its throat. The creature spasmed, and a death wail emerged from the lakes around them. The creature itself made no noise, but the water burst upward like something had exploded beneath it, and a cry of agony shrieked and echoed. Then, in an instant, the spray fell back to the surface of the lake, and the creature, massive and imposing, disintegrated into nothing but water.

That was the first, and in the same brief instant that the creature attacked and fell, in the next room, a woman screamed. Her voice, panicked and desperate, pierced through the death cry of the monster, and had not even stopped before Allar leapt away from the dissolving body of the beast and ran to help her.

“Allar!” David shouted. “It’s too dangerous!”

In the back of his mind, he was aware that they were following him, that he was not plunging foolishly into a pitch black, flooded cavern, that they would help him fight whatever was endangering the woman whose cries for help filled the air. But even if they were not following him, he would have gone anyway.

As the others followed him, bringing light, the next chamber emerged from darkness. Lower than the last chamber, the ceiling here sometimes simply plunged below the water, and the only land was rough islets. There were more of the water creatures in the distance, a hundred feet away or more, their faint transparent bodies moving to surround a woman as she splashed through the water. He saw all this in the time it took him to leap from the shore into the water and begin to swim after her, but when he pulled up from the water to draw breath, she was out of his vision.

His splash had alerted the rest of the creatures, and from the cluster of perhaps a half-dozen that were a hundred feet away, two broke off and dove into the water toward him, vanishing without disturbing the surface. Allar followed the woman’s screams as best he could, but he had swum only twenty feet when something slashed him across his neck, dangerously close to ripping open his throat, and then he was pulled under.

He struggled wildly, unable to see what was grappling him, stabbing ineffectually through simple water as unseen arms dragged him below the surface. Then he felt a jerk at his legs, and for an instant was able to make out one of the creatures as Babb plunged into it from above, his heavy armored body pulling it away from Allar. Then Babb clove his sword across what may have been the beast’s belly, and the water pulsed around them, filling with blinding bubbles.

Babb sank away, vanishing below him, but Allar was able to get enough freedom to swing his sword into one of the arms holding him. It pulled away, ripping him with talons, but then it bit his ear, and Allar knew where to aim. Flailing with his free hand, Allar grabbed the creature’s semi-tangible head and plunged his sword into it. The tension holding onto him faded away, and another burst of sound pulsed through the water, sending him reeling.

He could not see Babb and needed air, so he pressed for the surface. Just as he cleared the water and took a desperate breath, the air at the far end of the tunnel exploded with fire, and he heard David holler in glee. Peering through drenched hair, Allar could see two of the creatures on shore collapse and burst into steam, slain by David’s fireball talisman.

“Lacy,” Allar called out, “Babb’s drowning.”

Allar finally reached shallow enough water that he could run again, and he started to sprint for the two remaining creatures. One dove into the water, heading in a direction that would reach David and Lacy, while the other, growling and gurgling, pulled the screaming woman off the ground and tossed her over its shoulder. They were just forty feet away, and in the dim glare of David’s light spell, Allar saw the woman slump, unconscious. He shouted angrily, illogically, for it to let her go, and then rushed after it.

The creature snarled and turned toward him, its black eyes glaring viciously. He was almost to it when the monster shrugged its broad, ridged shoulders and dropped the woman into the water beside it. She fell away with a splash and vanished, and the creature lunged for Allar, claws outstretched to drive him to the ground.

Allar dove to his right and rolled, and the beast fell where he had been a moment ago. He kicked up and landed on its back, swinging his scimitar and beheading it. It fell away into water beneath him, and he gasped for breath for a moment, looking around desperately to find the woman before she drowned.

In the distance, another fireball blossomed, and the air shrieked with the last monster’s death, but the flare of firelight filled the chamber, and Allar saw the woman’s body, shallow, but deep enough to drown. He dropped his sword and ran over to her, pulling her free. She wasn’t breathing, and without thinking, barely even able to see her in the darkness, he rolled her over so she’d exhale any water she’d breathed in.

The woman coughed, desperate, but Allar smiled, knowing he had saved her life. She gasped for breath, and Allar held her carefully, content for a moment. But then his eyes adjusted to the gloom, and he looked at her again, brushing aside a strand of white hair. The light of David’s spell approached, and Allar saw the woman’s emerald green eyes stare at him from a dark-skinned, Elvish face.

Last edited:

Episode Two: The Song of the Deep, Pt. II, Section I

The snow was jagged, burning inside his nose, scraping his hands as he tried to claw his way free. His mother hadn’t moved since she fell over him, and now he could not feel the warmth of her body through the numbness of the icy winter night.

Allar whimpered, and heard nothing but wind roaring.

The dark elf woman coughed, trying to breathe after nearly drowning. She said something quietly, the sounds Elvish but the words foreign, and then she tensed. Looking up at Allar with eyes that glinted emerald even in the near darkness, she opened her mouth as if to gasp, but then just let it hang open, shocked. After a moment, relief flashed across her face, and she grinned.

“Tundanesti?” she asked.

Allar did not move. He breathed heavily, angrily, paralyzed with revulsion. He shoved her off of him, then shuddered.

The woman pushed herself away slowly. She glanced in the direction of the others, but Allar didn’t pull his eyes from her. She was young, her white hair hanging, currently drenched, to her shoulders. Slender and somewhat malnourished, she wore a loose violet vest of some type of leather, gray pants, dark leather boots that covered her knees, and similar long gloves that went past her elbows. She had no weapons, nothing to threaten him, and yet Allar’s fears coiled in his chest.

“Em seas Taranesti.” Hesitant, the woman pointed to her ears, then gestured toward Allar. “Al seast Tundanesti? Si alfrin ka’nofras chealis.”

She nervously looked to the others, and pointed at them. She said something, but Allar heard another voice.

“Why are you stopping?” Telleas shouted at him. He grabbed Allar and leaned close. “They’re sealing the tunnels at sunset. You’re not injured enough for me to let you die here.”

Allar looked down at blood that wasn’t his, dripping across his chain armor. The caves were cold, lined with ice, and he fell against the wall, letting the chill burn his cheek. He held the dagger before his face, then looked beyond it, to Telleas. Everything beyond him was black.

From that blackness, he could hear them approaching, nearly silent, vengeful and terrifying.

Allar could hear his friends calling his name as they splashed through the flooded cavern toward him and the Taranesti girl. The girl was crouching now, nervous, chattering at him in three different languages. Allar heard something familiar, in Kelaquois, but she had already switched to a different language by the time he was able to decipher the words from her accent.

“Do you why look scared?” she had said. Allar wasn’t sure whose Kelaquois was at fault for the odd expression, hers or his.

He realized that his right hand had been reaching to try to find his dropped scimitar, and he forced himself to stop moving. He looked back at the woman. She was smiling encouragingly. In his mind, thoughts tumbled. He had saved a dark Elf, he had once killed a dark Elf, he could not think she was with the same dark Elves, why had he saved her, what could he tell the others?

The Taranesti captive fell to the snow as the Tundanesti beat him with the flats of their swords. David was glaring at him, condemning him for the satisfaction he felt. Allar looked away.

It was winter again, and hands pulled him up from the snow. There was soot and char in the air, and dark mounds in the snow. The man who held him cradled him, and Allar buried his face in the man’s chest, hearing the crunch of feet on snow and the crackle of flames on the wind.

He pulled the dagger out, yanking to free it from the rib cage. He was far away now, dropping the blade. He was burying his face against the stone, unable to look at any of the others.

He could not understand the Taranesti words himself, but a minute later, Yiromas handed the captive over to the guards, and turned to address them, a smug smile on his face. Allar looked back, eager. They had told him he was very brave to come with them.

He was only sixteen, and the man had stopped moving. Allar looked up, past his dagger, into the blackness.

Babb’s laugh broke the frantic reel in his mind.

“Ha, I bet you’re pissed, Al’. Is this a dark Elf?”

Babb was trudging through chest deep water, straining to keep his chin clear, but what amounted for a smile on his bull-like face was clear. Lacy was beside him, holding David. The three-foot tall Jispin man, ignoring his displeasure at having to be carried through the water, gasped when he saw Allar and the dark elf. “My God, Allar.”

Allar nodded, then pushed himself off his back, standing uncomfortably, wet clothes and armor pressing upon him. He was having trouble breathing, but he weakly pointed his right hand – holding his sword – in the direction of the girl.

“Watch her. Just because the monsters were trying to kill her doesn’t mean she’s not dangerous too.”

The woman fell backward off her crouch when he pointed the sword at her, and she scrambled away slightly. When she spoke, her tone was not frightened, but rather almost complimentary. “Malha muc alas.”

“Allar,” Lacy whispered, “put the sword down. We don’t want to scare her.”

“Do you know what she’s saying?” Babb asked.

The woman slowly stood, wringing the loose edges of her vest to keep from sopping on herself. Looking around at the group of them, she nodded, and a somewhat forced smile spread on her face. “Er imsi? Gee gooree ohs?”

Babb and Lacy gasped, and Babb smiled. “She just said ‘thanks’ in Kelaquois. And was that Goblin?”

“That was ‘thank you,’ also,” said David, who had climbed out of Lacy’s arms and was now coming up beside Allar. “Not that I know much Goblin.”

Lacy started speaking to the girl in Kelaquois, slowly enough that Allar could understand. “We won’t hurt you. Do you understand me?”

The girl nodded, then grinned and replied, still in Kelaquois. “Thank you you helped me. Um, the name . . . my it is . . . um, my name is Tri’ni?”

“I couldn’t follow that,” Babb muttered. “Lemme try some different languages.”

While Babb, Lacy, and the dark elf girl rattled off phrases in Lyceian, Elstrician, Ragesian, Goblin, Taranesti, and Geidon, which resulted in only disappointed shakings of heads, David spoke to Allar.

“She looks innocent enough,” he whispered.

“Don’t talk to me, David. For all I know, she could’ve been one of the ones who killed my family.”

“Her? She looks sixteen. Even though she’s an Elf, she’s probably not much older than you are. Allar, she could-”

“David?” Lacy called out, “do you have anything that could help here? I do, but I don’t want to try using magic on her if you can manage something that won’t hurt her.”

David shook his head, waving lightly to try to get her to give them privacy. Still talking, Allar and David moved a short distance away.

“She could be a guide,” David said.

Allar kicked at the edge of the water, then looked into the glinting darkness. “Find out who she is, then maybe. Don’t trust how she looks.”

“Alright,” David sighed. “Please, Allar, just let this be behind you.”

Allar glared down at David, then walked back to the dark Elf girl. He wanted to be angry, but he was afraid to talk. Looking at the woman he had rescued, he felt hatred, and he had to turn away, disgusted with himself.

* * *​

Lacy sighed nervously, “This should work.”

She held a few strands of her hair in one hand, a few of the girl’s in her other. Tying the ends together, combined they were long enough to form a slender necklace, white and gold. The girl’s expression was curious and impatient. Whispering a prayer, Lacy touched both strands. The girl winced.

“Ow, was that supposed to happen?” Her accent was still present, but she spoke in Lyceian. She looked around at them, confused slightly. “That’s me talking, isn’t it?”

“Nice one, sis,” Babb said, slapping Lacy’s shoulder with a smile.

“I don’t know this language,” the girl said, plainly. “I think my head hurts.”

“Are you injured?” Lacy asked.

The girl shook her head, grinning with embarrassment. “No. I’m just thinking in a different language than what I’m saying. I’m trying to talk in Goblin now, and it’s . . . no, it’s just not working. Thank you.”

She chuckled, and Lacy and Babb laughed too.

“I don’t know why,” the dark Elf woman said, turning to look at Allar, “but I think I scared you somehow. I’m sorry.”

“I didn’t know you were a dark Elf,” Allar replied. He clenched his teeth.

“Oh, um, yes.” She paused for a moment, then said, “I haven’t heard ‘dark Elf’ in a while. That’s what Dentalles used to call us.”

Allar frowned. The name Dentalles was familiar somehow.

“My name is Tri’ni,” said Tri’ni. “Tri’ni Gren’eys. My father said ‘Gren’eys’ was the surface word for green eyes. Wait, I just said it. Oh.”

Babb looked down as he laughed, like he didn’t want to make fun of her. The young woman wasn’t fazed, though.

“What language is this?”

“Lyceian,” Lacy said. “Tri’ni, my name is Lacy Ursdail. This is my, well, my adopted brother, Babb.”

“Babb the Bold,” Babb corrected, still laughing.

“And this,” Lacy continued, “is David Waryeye. And the man who saved you is Allar.”

David cleared his throat. “Sorry to interrupt all this, but if the young lady would like to help us, could she tell us if there are any more of those things in here?”

Tri’ni shook her head. “I don’t think so. There’s usually this sort of . . . heaviness, in the air, when the Il’ishar are nearby. They’re related to the Trillith, though, what am I doing? Of course you wouldn’t know about that. Unless. . . .”

Babb had stopped laughing, and he asked, “No, we don’t know anything about that. To be perfectly honest, we’re pretty lost. So, you’re not evil, are you? Because Al here seems to think you’re dangerous.”

Tri’ni looked at Allar cautiously, her green eyes staring into his. He looked down for a moment, then forced himself to look back at her, but by then she had turned away.

“I am running,” Tri’ni said. “I can probably help you, if you let me. I’ve been helped by people from the surface before, so I don’t believe all the rumors about you either.

“Um, thank you for saving my life. I don’t know any of you, but thank you. Don’t worry. I’ll help you however I can. If you give me a little while, I can explain what I know, but we should get away from these caves. I know a place, . . . not far away?”

Lacy looked around. “Is anyone hurt?”

Allar saw her glance at him, and at the various cuts he had received from the strange water trolls. He shrugged. “Don’t worry about me. We should go.”

Tri’ni grinned at him, and she spun away to guide them. As the group walked, Allar felt a coldness descend upon him. He knew the rest of them, even David, were happier now, intrigued by the woman. He, though, was only reminded of guilt, from long ago. He walked, but felt the air pressing heavily down upon him, like a cold weight.

Last edited:

Episode Two: The Song of the Deep, Pt. II, Section II

“There are creatures, called Trillith, that live in the deepest chasms, at the end of all rivers, at the edges of the Sunless Sea.”

Tri’ni chuckled, nervously. “We actually call it that, even though none of us have ever seen the sun. The name is ancient. I wouldn’t have believed the sun existed if I hadn’t already met people from the Great Above. Dentalles, Cloin, Entras, and Javin. They were a little like you.”

The four surface dwellers followed Tri’ni as she guided them through the flooded cavern. The water stretched for miles, through dozens of chambers, all as quiet and lifeless as the first.

“Why is there nothing alive here?” Allar asked, cautiously.

“The Il’ishar – the water creatures that were trying to catch me – people say they guard the tunnels to the Great Above. More of them have been showing up downriver, though. Many more. That’s part of the reason why I was running. Don’t worry, I’ll explain it all if you let me.”

Allar looked out into the near darkness of the latest chamber. He found he could not look at the young woman for long.

Babb eagerly said, “Go ahead.”

“Well, I was saying, Dentalles and the others, they had come from the surface. There is a market city, Melasurej, far to the south, where occasionally human merchants will come to sell things from the surface. I’ve never been there, at least not since I can remember, but my father used to go often, and that’s how he met them.

“I don’t know all the details, but, . . . at the time, my father was working for a Trillith. They never work in the open. Actually, I think most anyone who had the chance would try to kill a Trillith. They’re unnatural. They control you.”

Tri’ni shivered.

David asked, “What do you mean? What are these Trillith?”

Tri’ni considered for a moment, then said, “When I was seven, my father moved us to a new village. We were the only two Taranesti there. The rest were Goblins, and then there was the Trillith. I know my father had only met the thing once before, but he treated it like it was his best friend. Everyone did. It wasn’t there most of the time, not with a body. They’re like, I suppose, like ghosts, but they were never alive in the first place. They have no body, unless they animate something. The one at our village usually simply animated robes and tendrils – eels, and other dead lake creatures. It always smelled of death, but we didn’t mind. It was our closest friend.

“I’ve actually only ever seen the one, but my father talked about others. Ours would send him on trips, to collect things for it. I was just a girl then, so I still don’t know what it was doing, but on one of those trips, my father met Dentalles and the others from the surface. I think they were trying to stop a man who was selling surface people as slaves. Mostly sexual playthings that nobles could buy, since there are more than enough native slaves already.

“I was a slave, actually, when I was too young to remember.” Tri’ni looked down and grinned slightly. “I never was used for work. They kept me around the market to make the rest of their ‘merchandise’ look better. My father accidentally stole me, and got himself run out of Melasurej for twelve years. He’s not actually my father, but he took care of me. He always tried to teach me magic, but I never got the feel for it. And then once the Trillith started controlling him, he stopped being himself as much.”

She sighed, then shook her head slightly.

“Anyway, my father became friends with Cloin. He was a human sorcerer. My father was always pretty strange, but I guess that made him more endearing than the rest of the Taranesti or Guenhavesti.”

“Guenhavesti?” Babb asked.

Allar answered. “They’re another group of dark elves. A different nation, but practically the same race.”

Tri’ni looked dubiously at Allar. “I’ll just say that I’m not surprised you don’t know the truth, since you’re not from around here. Dentalles used to tell me you have stories about Taranesti coming up to the surface and terrorizing everybody, but I was always sure it had to be Guenhavesti. They’re violent and cruel.”

“Hey,” Babb said, “get back to the story. Don’t let Al bother you.”

David sighed. “You keep talking about your father in the past. I take it this story has a bad ending?”

Tri’ni nodded. “About ten years ago, yes, my father did die. Dentalles and the others, they managed to find out about the Trillith, and they tried to kill it.”

“What happened?” Babb asked. “You escaped, right?”

Tri’ni shrugged, looking uncomfortable with the question. “The Trillith made my father fight to defend it. I- . . . I don’t think he could have resisted, really. For nine years, the thing had been twisting his mind to make him think it was his closest friend in the world. My father was a fairly strong sorcerer, and he wasn’t himself at the end. He killed Javin. I saw him just turn to dust before my eyes. Cloin ended up killing my father.”

Tri’ni paused, and Lacy said, “You don’t have to tell us if you don’t want to.”

Allar noticed Lacy turn a short stare toward him.

Tri’ni again shook her head. “It’s not that. It was ten years ago, so I’m fine telling the story. It’s just that I haven’t really had that many people to talk to in a long time.

“My father died, and Dentalles used some kind of spell they had prepared that made the Trillith vulnerable. Normally, they say you can’t hurt a Trillith. Magic can affect them a little, maybe hurt them some, but they don’t have normal bodies. If you destroy whatever they’re in, they just get a new body. But somehow the spell they had forced the thing into a real, solid body. Something you could make bleed.

“It was hideous. Somehow, when it lost its . . . its ghost form, it lost its hold on us. I had already been becoming able to resist it occasionally, since it had never really used its powers on me. But I couldn’t do much by myself. I managed to. . . .”

She chuckled, embarrassed. “Well, I was furious with it, and I remember, as soon as I saw it was solid, that it had a real body, I threw a rock at it, hitting one of those rotting, wriggling eel tentacles. After I hit it, all the goblins seemed to realize how offensive it was. Its body really wasn’t that strong. They tore it to pieces. When it died, something happened, like I could feel it again in my mind for a moment, and then one of the goblins just screamed and died. The others said he was the last one to hit it, like somehow it dying killed him.”

The others had expressions of disgust or mild distaste. Allar was impassive, though he seethed within. He was looking for something in the girl’s expression or tone of voice to reveal that she was lying, but this whole land below was so strange, he didn’t know where to begin to doubt her. Seeing the others listening with concern for the girl, Allar felt a pained relief that they were here to keep him from being rash.

“Afterward,” Tri’ni continued, “it was just Dentalles, Cloin, Entras, and me. We found a new cave far away, since we didn’t know if other Trillith might come after us. We ended up not far from here, and they told me they would follow a river back up to the surface, then come back for me in a year. I guess they didn’t know how far they were from any cities up there. I came back the next three years, but they never showed up, and I never risked going past these caves here before. That was seven years ago.”

“You’re twenty-six now?” David asked. She nodded, and David said, “Why did they think this way would lead out?”

Tri’ni stopped, and pointed to a crack in the side of the passage. Water was spraying from it in a thin waterfall.

“They had to do a lot of investigating, but they learned about this place from some explorers. Up here in the mountains, water flows into these tunnels from time to time, and when the place fills up, it flows into the river. I’m guessing you came in the same passage?”

Lacy nodded, but Babb said, “Wait, we’re in the mountains?”

Tri’ni frowned. “Ah, sorry. This language magic confuses me a little. I don’t know exactly what a mountain is for you, but for us it’s a part of the tunnels that are near the surface. Very little lives in these parts, and if you go up high enough the air gets warm or cold depending on the time of year.”

David said, “Sounds like we’d be near the surface then, yes.”

“For us, Tri’ni,” Babb said, “mountains are really big rocks that go high up into the sky. Most land on the surface is flat, but mountains are jagged, rough, and, y’know, hard to walk on.”

Tri’ni seemed puzzled by this. After a moment she shrugged. “Well, Cloin said he had a reason to think he’d be able to get to the surface through these tunnels, but if he explained why, it didn’t make any sense to me. I hope they did make it, but if they couldn’t find their way back to me, I want to find them now.”

“You said you were running,” Allar stated. He tried to sound accusatory. Tri’ni grinned, though, and he found he couldn’t keep his angry stare at her.

“Yeah. The Il’ishar that live in these mountain lakes have been showing up a lot, close to actual cities, like they’re being called by something. I . . . I don’t know much you believe in this sort of thing, but I’ve been having nightmares a lot lately, dreaming about times that I couldn’t remember clearly before, back when the Trillith was controlling my father and me. I was getting nervous, and I left one of the furthest out villages about ten days ago, and left the last goblin village three days ago.

“People were getting nervous, saying that people had been vanishing in their sleep. Sometimes I heard rumors of people describing feeling like they were sleeping, like they were thinking someone else’s thoughts, and it reminded me of the Trillith. The last day before I left, there were rumors that, at a Taranesti village on another river, twelve young women were drowned and slashed. So I fled.”

“I think one of them might have been following me.” She stopped walking, then glanced around nervously. “I was hoping there wouldn’t be any Il’ishar here, but they were just waiting for me, the moment I got here.”

Lacy nodded. “We did feel some strange things in the air as we came up the tunnel. We almost considered turning back.”

“I’m glad you didn’t,” Tri’ni sighed. “I don’t think they were going to kill me. It’s just a guess, mind you, but I think they were going to take me away somewhere. Again, and I really can’t say this enough, thank you so much for being there to save me.”

Babb chuckled. “We lead a charmed life. Well, except for Lacy. Monsters always go after her first.”

Tri’ni smiled. “Thanks. And I don’t want to bring bad news, but when we stop to rest, you should probably check for ticks. The river down there is right on the edge of a swamp.”

“So this whole place isn’t that fungus-y?” Babb asked. “Well, at least its ticks and not mold.”

David twitched. “I hate this place. So, Allar, do we follow her?”

Babb smiled at Allar and laughed. “I just hope you won’t get any broodier than you are now. She’s a sweet girl, might even know how to get us the hell out of here. You could show some appreciation and stop glowering at her.”

Allar glowered at Babb for a moment, then turned to the dark Elf. “You sound like you want to go to the surface. I don’t want any dark Elves on the surface.”

Tri’ni stepped back, her emerald eyes flashing with anger. “You don’t see me complaining about you coming down here, do you? Why does everything you say sound like you’re accusing me?”

“Allar,” Lacy said plaintively, “don’t punish her. Those things are trying to kill her, or worse.”

“And her people are killers.” He grabbed Tri’ni’s arm pulled her close, glaring at her. “Those ‘stories’ you heard about dark Elves attacking the surface weren’t just stories. Your kind have snuck into our villages and towns in the night and murdered families. Your kind burned down my home and left a three-year old child to die, buried in ice. I won’t let you lie to yourself and say it was someone else who did it. It doesn’t matter if they think you’re nice, or safe. You’re just as bad as the ones that burned down my village, that have been killing for centuries.”

Tri’ni tried to pull free, her lip quivering in shock. “What?”

“Why are these creatures following you? You said it yourself. You killed one of them. They want you for some reason. If you come with us, you’ll get us killed too. No. You owe us for saving your life, and you’re going to tell us how to get home. But that doesn’t give you the right to come with us.”

He let her go and she shoved him away. “I’m trying to help you!” she said. “The Il’ishar would have attacked you whether I’d been here or not. What, did you think I staged getting nearly killed? I’m sorry I tricked you into saving my life.”

She bit her lip and turned away. “I’m sorry. I understand why you don’t trust me. I . . . I just need your help. The only people who cared about me are on the surface. I just want to find them, find some place safe to live.”

“Allar,” David said, “what is wrong with you?”

“Don’t try to tell me what to do,” Allar said. “We’re leaving her behind.”

“You’d know something about leaving people behind, wouldn’t you?” David pointed at him accusingly.

“The both of you,” Babb said, “shut the hell up. She can come with us if she wants. She fits all the requirements. Her parents were killed. She has a great desire to see the world. She’s fought monsters and survived. She can be an adventurer.”

Lacy moved to the middle of them, holding out her hands. Everyone stepped away, not wanting to touch her and disrupt her magic. She stood there silently for a moment, looking at them all with an expression that showed she clearly thought they were all behaving ridiculously.

“If anyone wants to go on without this girl, she’ll be going on without me as well. Babb, you feel the same way?”

Babb crossed his arms, grumbling. “Yeah, sure, sis.”

“David?” Lacy asked.

David looked up at Allar, then stepped away. “She’s right, Allar. Look, once we get back up and see some sun, we’ll send her on her own way. But she needs our help now, and we need hers. It wouldn’t be right to leave her.”

Lacy relaxed, then smiled and nodded. “Good. Let’s keep walking, then. Anyone is welcome to come with us. And remember that we have the guy with the light.”

Lacy and Babb began to walk away. Tri’ni hesitated, glancing back at Allar. She smiled apologetically, then followed after them.

David looked up at Allar. “You know you’re wrong on this one. Don’t throw away friends over this twice.”

“David,” Allar whispered. “I don’t want to feel this way.”

The Jispin man grinned. “That’s a good enough start, then. Prayer is admitting you’re not strong enough on your own. Now come on. It’s a long walk, so you’ll have a lot of time for praying.”

“I’m sorry,” he whispered.

David sighed. “Don’t tell me that. Tell her that. But I can already see you won’t.”

“David!” Babb shouted from ahead. “Get us some light!”

Allar smiled weakly, and waved David to go. “It’s alright. I’ll deal with this on my own. You’re right. We need to get going.”

The caves wound on, flooded and dripping, for many more miles. The others talked with Tri’ni, hearing stories of the Great Below. Allar listened, but he kept hearing his own inner anger.

They rested, and traveled again the next day, slowly uphill. Several times he thought he saw or heard someone following them, or he felt a vague unease in the air. But, toward the end of the next day, after a week or more underground, the air grew suddenly chill, and the tunnels rumbled, and they heard a song in the deep.

Last edited:

Episode Two: The Song of the Deep, Pt. II, Section III

“Do you think we’re gonna get paid for this?” Babb asked.

Allar shook his head. “Keep quiet. I thought I heard rumbling.”

“Whatever you say.” Babb turned to the others and held up a hand for them to stop. They were strung out in a narrow tunnel with rough sides and a smooth walkway, sloping sharply uphill. Allar was poised on a lip of stone, listening with his ear to the rock while he still held a climbing spike in one hand.

The tunnel thrummed around them, a deep sound shaking up through the ground. Allar pulled his head away and rubbed his ear, then looked down to Tri’ni, twenty feet beneath him in the middle of the group. “Is this place about to cave in?”

“No.” The dark Elf shook her head while the charm around her neck translated her words into Lyceian. “That’s an air tremor. A cave in, you’d either not hear it at all, or you’d hear the sounds of cracking. Can you feel the pressure dropping a bit now?”

“What?” Allar glared at her, then shook his head. “What are you saying it is?”

Tri’ni shrugged, then scrambled up the chute-like tunnel to stand beside Allar. The handholds were limited, forcing her and Allar to stand less than a foot apart. She held out a hand for the climbing spike.

Beneath them, Babb said, “Damn, you climb fast. Allar, let her lead.”

Allar leaned back nervously away from the dark-skinned woman, then pressed the spike and a small hammer into her hand. She tucked them away in her vest, then reached for the coil of rope Allar had been stringing out for the others to follow. The cave rumbled again, and Allar could actually hear it more in the air than in his feet and hands.

“You don’t know what’s making that sound?” Allar asked.

“Not at all,” she whispered, her expression nervous. “It sounds a little like a lava geyser, but we’re too high up for that. Well, we’ll see in a few minutes, regardless.”

She crawled away up the nearly vertical passage, trailing the rope behind her. The air continued to growl ominously, but through the noise, Allar could make out the sound of a hammer tapping a spike into place. Then, somewhere subtle beneath that sound, he thought he heard a voice, singing, echoing up from beneath him.

“It’s sturdy!” Tri’ni called down. “Climb on up.”

Allar glanced up, then back down, uneasy. He waved for Babb to go up past him, and he moved to the side of the tunnel, descending awkwardly, first past Babb, then down to David and Lacy.

“Get up,” he said. “Hurry.”

They looked at him with concern, but obeyed, climbing as quickly as they could while Allar slid down the rope, over a hundred feet. When he reached relatively flat ground, he crouched and listened. The sound of the cavern rumbling still filled the air, but he could hear it more clearly now, that same voice singing as from in the tomb. With the strange echoes of the caves, it could be coming from thirty feet away or half a mile. Hesitantly, Allar drew out his small lantern and lit it.

The song, if it had ever been there, stopped. Allar flashed the lantern light into the darkness of the cave, high-ceilinged, with a precarious rift just feet away from him, the floor really more a pile of rubble than anything nature might carve over centuries. The dim light of the lantern revealed the entirety of the small chamber, so Allar fixed his gaze at the only entrance large enough for a man, twenty feet away, set into a wall of cracked stone.

“Who’s there?” Allar called.

From above him, Babb shouted something, but the echoes muddled his words so Allar couldn’t understand. Allar hesitated, trying to force himself to see something in the darkness, hear something above the dull rumble of the caverns above, but there was nothing. He shivered, then turned back to climb the rope, laughing quietly at himself for his nervousness.

The climb back up seemed to take several minutes, passing slowly and unwillingly, held up by Allar’s thoughts on the course he had taken to get this far. He’d been saved by many lucky escapes, survived monsters, traps, and the wilds of a land he had barely believed in, but he still did not feel he had won anything. The only purpose he could see lay somewhere with the dark Elf. That thought weighed heavily upon him, and he struggled the last few feet to the top of the tunnel, not wanting to see her again.

Tri’ni was no where in sight, however, and it was Babb who pulled him up, a wide grin on his face. “You afraid of a little thunder?”

“What do you mean?” Allar cautiously untied the rope and began to roll it up, just in case someone was following. He looked around, seeing he was alone with Babb and a small lantern. “Where’s everyone else?”

“Follow me,” Babb laughed. “You hear that rumbling?”

Allar nodded as they walked through this new section of cave, wide, rough, and jagged, sloping upward and ahead of them. The others came into view, standing inside the entrance to a huge chamber, the three of them looking up at the ceiling. They were somehow illuminated by faint light from above. The air thrummed again, less distorted now.

“Does it sound a bit more familiar now,” Babb continued, “now that there’s no cave in the way? Look up.”

They came out of the narrow tunnel, and Allar turned his gaze upward. Far, far overhead, beyond the rocky walls that stretched high and away all around them, there was something massive and gray, reflecting a faint golden light. Then it flashed, and Allar gasped. With a sudden crackle of thunder, a stroke of lightning illuminated the stormclouds overhead in the sky.

“My god,” Allar said, relieved. He leaned against the wall, and realized it was green and soft from a damp carpet of moss. “We’re out.”

“Sh*t yeah,” Babb shouted.

Allar cried out in joy and hugged Lacy, then Babb, slapping the Geidon on his back. David grinned and reached up to shake his head, and Lacy nudged Babb in his side with her elbow. Next to them, Tri’ni stood alone, staring up at the foreign sight of the sky, darkened by stormclouds but still sparking with light.

“Where are we?” Allar asked eagerly, trying to get his bearings.

David pointed upward in a circle. “We’re in the bottom of some kind of sinkhole, at least a few hundred feet deep. If that’s a storm, we’d better get to higher ground before it starts raining.”

“I think I see some trees up a little higher,” Allar said. “That’ll be some cover at least. How big is this place?”

Allar, finally able to see again in the dim light of the storm, turned to take in the vast sinkhole bottom. The sinkhole’s lowest level, several hundred feet across, was strewn with rock debris and chasms rent from the stone, all coated with pockets of moss and bits of leafy brush. At the far opposite side, a twenty-foot wide waterfall cut its way from the top of the inside wall of the sinkhole, then down into a deeper rift. Though a few ledges jutted from the walls, the opening at the top of the sinkhole was narrower than the bottom, so climbing out in the rain would be nearly impossible.

Another sheet of lightning flashed overhead, and a reflective glint caught Allar’s eye from the middle of the floor, three hundred feet away amid a pile of white stones. He shined his lantern high, and saw the gleam of dark metal, but he could not make out any more. Curiosity pulled him toward it, and he called over his shoulder for the others to follow.

David and Lacy slowly started to walk after him, discussing how to get out of the sinkhole. Babb waited at the exit from the tunnel, the massive Geidon gently pulling Tri’ni to follow, drawing her out of her fascination with the sky. Allar smiled despite himself, and glanced skyward, just as the first drops of rains began to fall.

“Stupid dark Elf,” he laughed, amused at how stunned she had looked.

He turned to look back at the pile of white stones where the metal lay, and he felt a breeze rush past his face.

She will not leave here.

Allar felt the words in his mind, a voice without sound. Something drew his gaze toward the stones again, and before he realized he had moved, he was standing amid them. They were not stones, but the scattered skeleton of a mighty beast, fifty feet long or more.

Someone called his name, and he turned numbly to see them approaching. Through the cacophony of thunder and rain, he heard the dark Elf woman’s voice.

“This is the Great Above?” she said, walking in a circle, looking upward into the storm. “It’s . . . it’s so-”

She taints it, the voice again crawled into his mind, and though he could hear no emotion, he felt his own anger surge. She is death, and you want her to feel pain.

Allar nodded to himself. Twenty feet away, Tri’ni suddenly looked down from the sky, toward him, staring at him with frightened green eyes. Recognition flashed across her face in the glare of lightning, but she could not open her mouth to speak. The others were still too busy celebrating to notice as Allar and Tri’ni stared at each other.

You want her to feel pain. The tool to harm her lies at your feet.

He looked down. His left foot stood upon the splayed ribcage of a human figure, his right on the wrist bones of a hand that had died clutching a charcoal black scimitar, its edge gleaming with white diamonds.

Tri’ni had come closer now, and she was looking down at where Allar stood. Allar, compelled but not resisting, bent down and picked up the skull. He held it palm up before Tri’ni’s face. She tried to look away, but he grabbed her shoulder and forced her to look. Tears lined her eyes, and she tried to form a word, but her lips quivered.

Allar stepped back, then tossed the skull into the nearest rift, never pulling his eyes away from the dark Elf before him.

“Whose was that?” he asked, calmly, seething with anger.

She killed him.

“You killed him. Didn’t you?”

Tri’ni snapped her head up. “What? N- no. I didn’t, couldn’t –”

She can never leave here. She will betray you.

“I won’t let you leave with us. You betrayed him, and your father died as punishment!”

Tri’ni tried to back away, nearly tripping, but then her eyes widened in shock. “A Trillith.Babb, Lacy, help! There’s a Trillith here!”

She turned to run, but Allar grabbed her arm. She shouted for help, but now all sound drowned away, and all he saw were images of fire and ice, houses burning, shadowed figures cutting their way through his village, tearing through his home, slashing his mother.

All you could do then was cower, but you can take vengeance now.

Reaching for his own scimitar, numb fingers clasping the hilt, Allar felt cold. Before him struggled a dark Elf, and he could see in the man’s crimson eyes reflections of all the pain Allar had ever seen or imagined, all the tales of cruelty he had been told their evil kind had committed. He knew that in a few moments he would plunge his knife into the man’s chest, hear his scream, feel his blood flow out as a stain, onto the cavern floor and onto him. The voice urged him on. His hand closed over a throat. The man screamed, and time gave way to the singular moment of exultation in revenge.

Lightning flashed overhead, shining green off the woman’s eyes, and the illusion fell away. His fingers were digging into Tri’ni’s neck, and his other hand tried to bring the blade of his sword down on her as she struggled to hold him at bay. Suddenly, she lifted her legs and fell back, and the two of them fell to the ground. She rolled away, gasping and shouting, but her words came out in Taranesti. Allar felt the necklace’s strands in his hand, and he tossed it away, then lunged to grab the woman’s leg.

He saw the others running toward him to stop him, and his grip weakened. He knew something was in his mind, trying to compel him, and he tried to fight it. The shadows grew long around him, and he heard the rattling of bones.

You can resist me, yes, but you do not want to. They know I am here, know you are controlled. You can resist me, yes, but they do not know it. Act, on your own, and they will not know.

Growling, Allar kicked forward and fell upon the girl’s back, pinning her to the ground. The thing, the Trillith, crept into his memories and showed him his mother dying again, his father fleeing into the death that was the night, faces and friends he had forgotten he had known, all lying in blood-stained snow. His desire for revenge mixed with panic and terror, and he felt a heavy weight on him. His mother’s dead body, he thought, but then he felt something grab his arms and pull him, and he saw the roaring face of Babb, mute and furious. David stood beyond him, but he could not hear the Jispin’s voice.

The Trillith’s words swept over him like a tide, blinding him to the present, dragging him into the darkness of his fears. But when he looked down to take revenge on those who had killed his family, he saw the beaten body of one of their two Taranesti prisoners. The icy cave was tight around him, and Telleas was busy tying up their other captive. They had caught them by surprise, and Allar’s mind recoiled as he felt himself smile at the fear on the dark Elf man’s face.

The hunt had been successful, and they had found two Taranesti that the group would be able to interrogate. Weeks of training and encouragement from the Tundanesti hunters had prepared him for this delve into the shallow tunnels of the Tunda mountains, and he and Telleas had managed to outmaneuver the pocket of Taranesti, luring off two. It had only taken moments, and the two were down. For the first time in years, Allar was face to face with the thing he hated.

“Murdering bastard, you’re scared of me now, aren’t you?” Allar clenched his fist and beat the dark skinned man in his cheek. The Taranesti glared at Allar, shouted something, then spat at his face. Allar scowled and punched him again in the jaw, then slammed his fist down on the man’s nose. The Taranesti reached out a hand toward Telleas and shouted desperately.

“Shut up!” Allar yelled. “I won’t let you kill anyone.”

The Taranesti froze. He breathed in shallowly, looking into Allar’s eyes, then exhaled. A whisper passed his lips, and then he darted to grab the dagger in Allar’s belt. Allar grabbed the man’s hand, and they struggled for control of the weapon. The dark Elf was shouting angrily, helplessly, and then he screamed. Allar wrenched the blade from the Taranesti’s hand and out of his belly, and he screamed as well as he slammed the dagger into the man’s chest, trying to make him stop shouting.

The others had told him he would have a chance to kill one of the Taranesti, and he had been afraid, but they had helped him train and grow strong, taught him to always keep the memories of his parents in his mind when he fought. They would be proud of him, proud that he was defending his people. He felt whole.

When he finally stopped, he had to catch his breath. The man beneath him was unrecognizable. When he tried to stand, it was not guilt but exhaustion that caused him to stumble, his grip on the dagger weak. He heard the other Taranesti approaching, but he knew he had done a glorious thing. Only later, when he saw the shame on the face of his old friend David, did he begin to doubt.

In the years since Allar had left the group of hunters, David had never let him forget that day, but he had tricked himself into remembering himself shocked and guilt-stricken immediately. But he remembered now, the pleasure of revenge.

Then, like the tide, the Trillith’s control swept away from him, and he was free.

Allar stopped struggling, and Babb wrenched the scimitar from his hand, then pulled him off of Tri’ni.

“What the hell are you doing?” Babb shouted, twisting Allar’s arms behind his back, shoving him to the ground. Lacy was trying to keep Babb from harming him, and Tri’ni shouted something incomprehensible in Taranesti.

“Wait!” David yelled. “Something’s wrong.”

Thunder crackled overhead and David shouted again. Babb stopped, still pressing his weight down on Allar’s back. His face forced into the wet rock of the sinkhole floor, Allar was just able to twist to see Tri’ni, clinging to Lacy and pointing at Allar, yelling, but no one could understand her. Allar tried to speak, but he could barely breathe, and it came out in a wheeze.

Babb leaned closer, stretching Allar’s arms near to dislocating. “What are you saying, you son of a bitch?”

“Trillith,” Allar coughed out. “She’s saying there’s-”

You have failed me. You have failed vengeance.

Allar’s body shook as he tried to force the thing out of his mind. He did not feel joy now, just guilt and fear, and the voice was unable to overwhelm him.

“David,” Babb was yelling, “Allar’s saying something about that Trillith thing Trin was talking about. What’s he talking about?”

Suddenly, Tri’ni screamed, and Babb let go. Allar rolled onto his back and tried to shake the strain out of his arms, but then he saw movement beside him. The pile of bones had begun to move, giant limbs drawing together, shadows detaching from the surfaces around them and coalescing into tenebrous muscles and flesh.

Babb drew his sword and backed away, and Allar weakly pushed himself to his feet. “I was trying to tell you, dammit. It was trying to control my mind.”

Babb pointed his sword toward the rising mass of bones and shadows. “I think it figured out something a little more dangerous to take control of.”

Allar looked about futilely for his sword, then shook his head. “Take cover! Back in the tunnel!”

Allar sprinted away first, hearing a heavy, wet breathing fill the air of the sinkhole. Behind him, Lacy grabbed Tri’ni and dragged her along after Allar. He heard David shout something, and the cavern suddenly lit with a burst of flame from a fireball. Allar looked over his shoulder just in time to see the smoke part, and a massive, snarling black creature roll across the floor like midnight mist. The mist spiralled upward and flared into a massive winged cloud, intangible but alive. Babb and David broke and ran.

Over the Trillith’s roar came a high-pitched keen, and Allar spun to look back at the exit passage. The stone walls around the passage began to crack from the piercing sound, and debris started to fall, blocking the exit. Beyond the falling stones, just inside the exit tunnel, Allar saw the figure of a man standing, arms raised, singing in joy. His flesh was wilted and gray, his eyes wide and crazed, and from the back of his tattered burial robe, cracked silvery wings like a dragonfly’s spread to the walls and ceiling.

Allar ran as fast as he could, but the wall over the exit collapsed, and the burst of debris forced him back. Peals of fey laughter filtered through the cracks in the stone.

“You did this!” Allar shouted back through the avalanche. “Send your monster away!”

The voice from the tomb sang back, “True dead, you see, I cannot be, / nor beast I send away. / Though mine it seems, you face a dream, / on which I hold no sway.”

“Let us in!” Lacy cried. “Why are you trying to kill us? I’ll kill you!”

Allar glanced at Lacy in confusion, then up at the shadowy Trillith floating overhead. Thunder filled the cave, and the creature seemed to seep away, reforming with the shadows of the walls, bones and all. He looked back to Lacy, and saw her trying to blink away the anger on her face.

Your pain and fear will flee when the Elfwoman falls. I wait here, and can be trusted. I will free you if you heed your desires.

Allar leaned close to Lacy. “Don’t listen to it.”

You have betrayed each other. Pain must echo pain.

Babb came up then, pulling his half-buried shield from the debris. “Don’t listen to what? I want to kill this bastard too. You hear that, you undead sack of sh*t?”

Babb stepped onto the pile of rocks and tried to peer through a crack to see the strange singing creature. Overhead, a few pieces of rock were still cracking, ready to fall, and David shouted for Babb to come down.

Babb waved him away, then peered into the hole. “Where are you at?”

A thin arm lashed out through the hole, and its hand grabbed Babb’s cheek. Babb roared in pain and fell away, clutching his cheek. On Babb’s face, Allar could see the handprint of the creature traced in pustules and decaying flesh. As the arm drew away back into the stone, he could see that the skin was flush with a lively complexion.

“To my homeland I return, as an undying song, / and unbeing shall come to this world’s all. / You freed me, and shall be spared dream’s vengeful call, / so my gift is death of sunless flesh / my gift is death of jagged maw.”

The stone overhead cracked, and they leapt away in time to avoid being crushed. As the rocks settled, David muttered, “How generous of him.”

“What impresses me,” Babb said, “is that, even with, you know, magic and all, he’s still able to make that rhyme in every language.”

“Quiet,” Allar ordered. “I think I hear it again.”

Each of the five looked up, around the walls of the cave, and at the rockslide behind them, trying to locate the source of the song. It seemed to fill the sinkhole from everywhere, the same song as from in the tomb, but with a dozen voices, singing of grief and of the failure of dreams. In words none of them could understand, the song told of exile and darkness, of an endless journey, and a rest that could never come. A song of vigil to the ages.

The song reached its peak, and the shadows of the wall nearby burst. Like it had been expelled from the womb of the stone, the massive Trillith fell to the ground, covered with dust and stone, coating its now-solid black scales. The bones were still slightly visible through its inky flesh, and the beast screamed, sinuous umbral flesh twisting in the pain of being corporeal. It pressed itself to its full height, fifty feet long, wings twice as wide and trailing darkness, four limbs of rending ebony claws, a whipping, bladed tail, and a powerful, serpentine neck, hunched low, lowering the long black maw of the beast to eye level with its victims. The shadowed flesh rolled away from its eyesockets, revealing pale white bone beneath, glaring and vengeful.

“Dragon,” Allar shouted. “Everyone, scatter!”

The beast reared back its head, drawing in a breath that shook the cavern walls. As the group split and ran, the dragon Trillith forced its jaws open to a wide gape, and a roiling cloud of deathly vapors spewed forth, striking the ground near Allar. He clutched his hands over his mouth and nose and sprinted through it, feeling the mist try to seep into his blood and soul. But he leapt free, jumping high to a narrow ledge, and weaponless, he sprinted for the cover of a nearby rift in the stone.

The dragon beat its barely-tangible wings, and it swept up into the air, spinning and diving for Lacy and Tri’ni as they made for a pile of boulders to hide. Lacy shouted and shoved Tri’ni to the ground, and the great beast swept past, grasping Lacy in its foreclaws. She screamed, and through the darkness across the vastness of the room, Allar saw blood spread across her as the dragon’s claws tore through flesh.

On the open floor, David stood defiantly and held out a talisman. A spout of fire burst upward from the cracks in the ground around him, spraying into the air like bubbling lava. The flames sizzled in the intense rainfall, surrounding the Jispin mage with a shield of steam. He raised his arms and clenched his fists, and the fire leapt into the sky and struck the dragon’s side, scorching its flesh. The creature roared and twisted in the air, aiming for David. The Jispin man scrambled and leapt as the dragon swept in, dodging its claws but not its lashing tail. He was hurled across the sinkhole floor, landing and bouncing through rough piles of stone, coming to a stop just beside the deep rift the waterfall fed into.

The dragon snapped its wings and spun again, angling to the opposite side of the cavern wall, where a thirty-foot high spur of stone provided it cover from spells. It landed and planted a foreclaw on Lacy, driving her to the ground. It was only halfway across the room from Allar, so he moved from his hiding place and broke into a run, hoping he could get there in time before Lacy’s screams stopped. The dragon was content now to have the woman pinned, and it spoke, its voice cracking and enraged.

“You are not my concern. The Elfwoman killed one of my kind. This dead beast whose form I wear already slew another of the murderers, his bones twisting within me inside this enforced flesh.”

Lacy screamed, and Allar noticed Babb running parallel to him, in the same direction. Allar held up a hand, and Babb quickly pulled out a spare short sword, tossing it across the chasm between them. Allar snatched it up, and together they hit the sinkhole wall, leaping and climbing for the beast’s perch.

Above them, it spun, still pinning Lacy, but now leering out from behind the rock spur, its spread wings suddenly cutting off the drenching rainfall. It planted a foreclaw upon the wall, ready to pounce down at them, and snarled.

“My last offer: abandon the Elf girl, and this one lives.”

Allar growled back up at the dragon, not stopping as he scrambled up the cliff face, but he saw Babb slowing.

“Al,” he shouted, “she’s my sister. I can’t. . . .”

He didn’t turn to look down at the Geidon. Still climbing, he declared, “I’m not letting you make that choice.”

The dragon lashed out with its claw, and Allar leapt to the side, grabbing desperately at a loose ledge as the one he’d just been standing on shattered under the beast’s blow. He twisted his body enough to get a good footing on the wall, and then he kicked upward and away, back toward the claw. Before the dragon could pull back, Allar landed on the claw, grabbing onto a knuckle with one hand, driving his sword between scale and bone with the other. The dragon hissed and tried to shake Allar free, but he clung tenaciously, his limbs and stomach lurching as he was swung out over fifty feet of empty space.

Then he heard Babb roar into battle, and the Geidon’s sword drove into the leg that was pinning Lacy. Distracted in two directions, the dragon let go of Lacy and kicked Babb away, then bent its neck to bite him, and instead of trying to fling Allar free, the Trillith simply planted its claw back on solid stone, nearly snapping Allar’s legs from the weight. Allar let go and began to weakly crawl for Lacy, trying to ignore the thrashing and clamping sounds of the dragon devouring Babb.

He tried to reach for Lacy to pull her to safety, but she held out a hand to ward him. Clutching at her bleeding chest and stomach, she wheezed out an incantation, then suddenly moved her hands away. A spark of light flashed between her palms, and she sighed in relief. She moved her hands back to her wounds and recited the same chant, and she began to heal.

“Too many Elves and monsters touching me,” she said weakly. “The auras disrupted my spell.”

“My leg’s broke,” Allar said.

Still bleeding slightly, Lacy stood up and glanced to where the dragon and Babb were struggling. She nodded quickly and began to cast a spell to heal Allar, and Allar could only watch as he waited for his strength to return.

The dragon towered over Babb, swatting at him with its claws, first from the side, then from above, trying to knock him away or pin him to the ground. His hooves digging into the unsteady rock face, Babb held his huge shield high to block most of the blows, but some swung past his guard and crashed into his armor, knocking him back. The top corner of his shield had been ripped away, leaving the jagged pattern of the dragon’s teeth marked in it. Babb chopped with his sword whenever a claw drew near, but the Trillith was keeping its head high. Allar could see a great gash torn through the shadow flesh of its jaw, revealing bare bone beneath, the result of the dragon’s attempt to bite through Babb’s armored defenses.

His short sword was still imbedded in the monster’s claw, so Allar pulled his last resort dagger from its sheath and stood, taking a measure of how he could do anything against this huge beast. Lacy came up beside him, holding her slender sword, useful against human foes but not something as large as the dragon. They stood immobile for several moments, daunted, but then Allar spied movement at the bottom of the sinkhole, fifty feet below.

Tri’ni was shouting, flailing her arms in the air at the Trillith, no doubt using untranslated obscenities. The black dragon paused for a moment to glare at her, and Babb rushed in under its claws, driving his sword up into the beast’s chest. It snarled and leapt into the air, buffeting Babb with its wings as it drew back from the blow. Allar and Lacy charged at it from behind, and Babb swiped at one of its hind legs, but the creature lifted into the air and dove away, toward Tri’ni. Allar nearly stumbled from the ledge as his foe flew away, and he watched it beat its huge black wings, angling for the dark Elf woman.

Just as it was about to grasp her, she dropped to the ground and rolled into one of the many cracks in the floor, taking cover. The dragon landed beside the rift and skidded in the slick of rainfall, but dug its claws in and roared down into the narrow rift, too small for it to reach into.

At the high ledge, Lacy and Allar ran up next to Babb, but he shook his head and slumped against the wall. Lacy started to reach for his wounds, but he pointed down at the dragon.

“Just give me a breather,” he said. “I ain’t banged up too bad.”

Lacy hesitated, seeing the cracks and rents in his armor, but she broke away and began to clamber down the cliff side.

“Babb,” Allar said, “give me your sword.”

“What, this one?” The Geidon held up his sword and squinted at him dubiously. The last foot of the sword was missing, snapped off in the dragon’s ribs. “Anyway, I already gave you a sword. Dammit, start pulling your weight around here. And get the rest of my sword back.”

Allar cursed and started down the rough cliff toward the dragon, armed only with a dagger.

At the rift into which Tri’ni had ducked, the Trillith dragon drew in a heavy breath and exhaled downward, black choking vapors spreading into the rift. The beast waited, as if expecting its prey to run, but Lacy reached it and thrust her sword into its thigh. The dragon merely shrugged, pulling the sword from Lacy’s grasp, and then it snapped its tail across her, sending her to the ground. It moved away from the life-drinking mist and began to circle Lacy, swatting at her with a claw whenever she moved.

Shifting direction to come in from behind the beast, Allar jumped over a narrow rift and came in quickly. The dragon cocked its head to the side, hearing him approach, and it spun to pounce on him, but Allar leapt into a forward dive and tumbled under the strike, coming to his feet between the dragon’s legs. It kicked blindly at him, and he spun to the side to dodge, slashing ineffectually at the hind claw. Confused, the giant creature tried to move to get a clear swing at him, but he weaved between its legs, using its own body as cover against it. He was about to break and run for Lacy when he saw movement out of the corner of his eye and felt claws rake him on his arm. The blow staggered him, and he fell helplessly to the ground.

David’s voice sounded from not far away, “Burn, fiend!”

The black mist parted forcefully, revealing the battered mage channeling through his talismans. He glowed briefly, and then an incandescent seed of red flame flew from his hand. Allar rolled to hide his face, but when the seed struck the dragon and burst into a rolling sphere of fire, the beast’s body shielded Allar from the explosion.

The dragon roared and lashed its wings to drive away the flames, but no sooner were the flames extinguished when another ball of fire exploded across the beast’s flank, melting away flesh, revealing the eerily animated skeleton beneath. The dragon stomped once spitefully at Allar, narrowly missing, then leapt into the air, making for the waterfall and cover.

David sent a barrage of black bolts through the air after the dragon, and Allar and Lacy both ran for the rift. The black smoke had cleared, but Tri’ni had been caught in it for nearly a minute.

“Toss down a rope,” Allar said. “I’m getting her out.”

Climbing down the inside of the rift was difficult because of the rainfall on the stones, and he had to fight to remain focused when he heard thunder and wasn’t sure if it was the storm or the dragon swooping overhead. But Lacy soon dropped a line beside him, and he was able to slide the last fifteen feet to the bottom of the rift. His feet splashed into thigh-high water, and he felt something soft where the ground should be. Then it moved, and he gasped, reaching down to help pull Tri’ni free from the water.

She came up choking and gasping, her arms scraped, and her skin bruised all across her body, more a purple-black than her normal dark grey. Though the water had shielded her from most of the vapors, evidently it hadn’t been enough. She said something in Taranesti, smiled weakly, and held up two fingers.

“Whatever you say,” Allar agreed. He gestured for the rope, then pointed up. Tri’ni nodded, and started to climb, weakly. Allar moved up beside her and lent an arm for support.

“Allar,” Lacy shouted from above, “it’s moving again.”

Allar looked up and could see the opening of the sinkhole, high overhead. Lightning flashed, silhouetting the dragon in flight, and then it spun in mid-air, swooping past the the lip of the sinkhole. Red light flashed in the air as another of David’s spells flew for the dragon, and just as Allar and Tri’ni cleared the top of the rift, the dragon flew through the explosion of flame and released something.

David cried out in shock as a massive tree, torn from the top of the sinkhole, crashed across the ground. He tried to dive away, but the branches swept across him, and the tree bounced past him toward Lacy. Allar grabbed Tri’ni and shoved her back down into the rift just in time for the tree to miss them, but when they came back up, David was sprawled unconscious twenty feet away, and Lacy was pinned by the tree at the edge of the ravine. Overhead, the dragon roared in laughter and began to circle for another pass.

Allar and Tri’ni raced to beside Lacy and began to pull her free from the pinning tree. She cried out in dismay and went limp in their arms.

Allar shook her and shouted, “Don’t give up. Never surrender. You have magic. Do something!”

She shook her head and tried to look away in fear, and Allar cursed. The dragon was lining up to strafe them, so he jumped and climbed to the top of the fallen tree. Clenching his dagger, he prepared to jump when the dragon moved past them.

Below him, Lacy sagged and cried, and Tri’ni knelt next to her, hugging her, whispering soothingly but forcefully. Lacy looked up at Tri’ni, then past her to Allar, just as the dragon flew in.

It snapped its teeth at Allar as he jumped at it, with the unintended effect of catching Allar’s free hand in its jaw and lifting him away. Its tail slashed across the ground, and Tri’ni shoved herself and Lacy away just in time. The tail crashed into the tree and cut it nearly in two, sending a spray of wood shards into the air. When the cloud of splinters cleared, the dragon was circling high, Allar’s one arm pinned in its mouth, his other slashing for the creature’s throat with the dagger.

The dragon pressed its jaws together, digging into his flesh, snapping bone. Allar screamed, but kept stabbing, driving his dagger into the dark scales beneath the bone white eye. Wheeling in the air, the dragon dove through the waterfall and flailed its head, driving Allar into the wall. It opened its jaws and let go of its hold, and for a moment, Allar knew he would fly free and shatter his body on the sinkhole wall, but his grip on the dagger held, and he spun around the beast’s head, falling away just enough to dangle beside the monster’s serpentine neck.

He felt something jab into his ribs, and he looked down to see a man’s skeleton encased in the black flesh beneath him, missing its skull. In the skeleton’s hand lay a black scimitar, and the blade was half-emerged from the dragon’s flesh. Even from just lightly touching it, it had cut through his shirt and armor, and was slashing into his body. His left arm mangled, his body bruised and slashed, he had no way to reach the blade without letting go and falling hundreds of feet.

Then below him, something flared with light. Beside the tree, the dark Elf and Lacy were standing, glowing strangely. For an instant, light flashed around him, and he felt intense heat and a dull pounding deafness in his ears. Then the dragon went limp and began to plummet. A booming crackle of thunder echoed through the cavern, and Allar realized the dragon had been struck by a lightning bolt.

The beast went into freefall, and Allar with it.

Releasing his hold, Allar forced his hand through the barely-solid flesh of the dragon, and he wrenched the scimitar from the skeleton’s grasp. The hilt’s leather pressed soothingly into his palm, and he pulled the blade free from the dragon’s neck. A moment passed when he felt he knew the memories of many people, and the song of the fey whispered through the cave, and then everything around him dissolved into shadow.

“Who was he?” Lacy asked.

Water lashed his face, and thunder filled his ears, but these were too constant to wake him. What woke him was the voice of the dark Elf.

“He was Dentalles. That was his sword. He must have died fighting that great reptile, when. . . ,” she paused and her voice broke. “I hope the others escaped.”

“Ug,” Allar said. He opened his eyes, and then squinted as rain sprayed him.

“Thank God you’re alright,” David whispered to him. “You sure do like falling.”

Allar rolled onto his side, but Lacy pressed him back onto his back. He felt pain everywhere.

“You saved our lives,” Lacy said.

“No,” Babb said. “He nearly fell to his death again. That freak lightning bolt saved our lives.”

“That lightning bolt was aimed for me,” Lacy said. “I tried to cast the only offensive spell I could, and Allar and Tri’ni’s Elf auras disrupted the whole thing. We were just lucky the dragon was in the way.”

Tri’ni laughed. “You all saved our lives. Well, saved my life is more like it. Thank you.”

There was a moment of silence, and Allar weakly sat up, braced on his one good arm. They were at the trailing edge of the thunderstorm, the rain and lightning fading slowly, and the sky was clear in one direction, the direction everyone was facing. The sun sat on the horizon, flanked by two mountains, shimmering in red, purple, and orange.

“Sunrise?” Allar asked.

“It’s setting,” David said. “I’m guessing we’re in the western Otdar Mountains.”

“Sun set,” Tri’ni said. She squinted at the dim light of the fading sun, the golden glow gleaming on her dark skin, glinting off the drops of rain. A new translation charm lay on her neck, and she held it in her fingers absently as she pondered the descending sunset.

Allar looked down, pained. He had almost hoped to die against the monster. It would have been easier than remembering what he had felt, how easily it had driven him to vengeance.

A hand touched him on the shoulder, and he turned to see Tri’ni sitting close. Her emerald eyes held his, and she smiled, gently and intentionally.

“One of those things made my own father try to kill me. I won’t say this wasn’t frightening, but I’ve had worse.”

She grinned. “And you fought off its control, too. You did save my life, Allar.”

He breathed in slowly. “I’m sorry.”

She chuckled. “You are a lot like Dentalles. He was too sad and guilty all the time, and it probably killed him.”

She paused. Allar looked down at the black scimitar, wrapped in a drenched white cloth, laying between them.

“Dentalles was a friend,” she said. “I know he would have given his life to save mine. He probably would’ve done it to save anyone, honestly. But I wish he hadn’t. I had never had friends before, and now I know that one of them is gone.

She grinned at him, then stood and walked back to watch the sunset. “Don’t go dying any time soon, alright?”

Allar sighed, feeling one less pain now. He almost smiled. Then Babb came up next to him and kicked him lightly in the leg. Allar looked up, shielding his eyes from the rain with his hand. Babb glared down at him disapprovingly.

Allar sighed in exasperation. “Yeah, Babb?”

“You’re not going to throw a fit about having a dark Elf around, are you?”

“Did you not just see me jump onto a dragon? You didn’t think I was doing that to save your hairy neck, did you?”

Babb scratched his neck nervously. “Actually, I was kinda passed out at that point. I’m just glad you’re being more rational now.”

Allar laughed and shook his head. “I’ll be fine.”

“You think we’re gonna get paid for this?”

“The dragon didn’t have any treasure?”

Babb snorted derisively. “Wasn’t even a dragon, really. Just a big lizard. Those wings weren’t even real. The bones are worthless. Damn thing impaled itself on that tree and shattered into a jillion pieces. I don’t know how the hell you survived. This ‘adventure’ was a bust.”

Allar looked away from Babb to consider the dark Elf woman. She was leaning back, looking to the sky as the last flickers of lightning flashed. Slowly, the woman held up one hand, stretched out a finger, and spun it. An arc of lightning skittered down her finger, then died out. She smiled and looked around to see if anyone had noticed.

Allar nodded to her, then sighed.

To Babb he said, “I’m sure she’ll be worth something. If nothing else, I’m sure some idiot noble’s going to pay for us to go back down there.”

Taking in a breath of clear, surface air, Allar closed his eyes and let the storm blow across the mountains.

Last edited:

My writing speed has picked up a lot since then. It took me three months to write the first two chapters. I've written my two latest in about a month. I still need to speed up, though.

Last edited:

Episode Three: Dreams of the Dead, Section I

The predawn glow from beyond the mountains seemed best for viewing the blade. In this light, the gentle sphere of the pommel was marble, a dim gray, almost black. The hilt, wrapped in deep purple velvet, stitched with tarnished silver wire, was worn ever so slightly where the wielder’s fingers would hold it. The guard felt like ivory, polished, smooth except for slight lengthwise cracks. It too was nearly black, charred perhaps, curving gently down above the knuckles, gently upward over the wrist, capped on both ends by black pearls.

“I’m sensing a definite motif here,” David muttered, holding the scimitar carefully, the curved, three-foot weapon almost as tall as him.

The blade was the most remarkable, its trailing edge marked with sharp angles and harsh black lines, its cutting edge a graceful crescent of sharpened white diamonds set into the weapon’s metal. The flat of the blade felt as smooth as any steel, but it was completely dark, appearing from even arm’s length to be coated with some manner of powder that kept any light from reflecting from it.

Sunlight broke the horizon, and all of the subtle colors and textures of the weapon melted away to black. Try as he might, David could not force himself to see the violet of the hilt, the faint iridescence of the pearls. In the hiding gleam of light, it was perfect, black upon black.

“What do you think?” Allar asked.

“It’s probably Elvish.” David handed it back to his old friend. “But I’m just guessing that because it’s too pretty to ever work without magic. There’s no identifying marks, no great magical aura, nothing to really distinguish it at all. Whoever made it, they weren’t the boasting type.”

“The dark Elf said it had belonged to the Tundanesti that was in the group she knew. She said his name was Dentalles.”

The name hung in the air, as if Allar expected David to recognize it. After a moment, David shook his head. “You can’t think it’s that Dentalles. He was an Elvish prince.”

Allar shrugged. “He went on pilgrimage, what, fifteen years ago. Never came back. The divinations said he had ‘fallen in the land below.’”

“How do you know that?”

Allar was suddenly nervous. He rubbed the raw, magically-healed flesh over his mangled left arm. “You remember that, um, group I joined up with a few years ago?”

David nodded. Allar had grown up under the care of David’s caravan after having been rescued from the flaming ruins of his real family’s village. Always slightly uncomfortable among the short Jispin, Allar had left when he was sixteen, trying to find a place first among the humans of Kequalak, then with the Tundanesti Elves. David had as a favor to his uncle set out to find the young Allar, eventually coming across him among a group of Tundanesti hunters outside of the city of Nacaan. From what little David had seen, the hunters were zealously devoted to defending Tundanesti traditions, and they encouraged all of their number to fervently believe what they were doing was right.

Allar had not even been a young man at the time, but he had been convinced he had found a new family. David had tried to persuade him to leave and return to the caravan, where people knew and cared for him, but in the end it had been none of David’s doing that had made Allar leave. It wasn’t until later that David learned why, but Allar left the hunters soon after his first encounter with the Taranesti Elves. Confused at his own actions, Allar had fled far south to the Nozama capital of Lyceum, and David went with him. Eventually they became friends, and Allar admitted that he had killed a Taranesti man on his hunt.

For the past eight years, he and Allar had been together, and though originally David had been certain that Allar would return home, four years ago they were hired as bodyguards for the Elstrician noble Harlan Gucci, then later promoted to ‘adventurers,’ and now David wondered if he and Allar would ever return to their home in the Tunda Mountains. And if they did, David could only hope that Allar would not fall in with the same group as he had before.

“What about them?” David asked.

“Part of the reason we were supposed to be searching the tunnels,” Allar said, “was for clues of where the prince had vanished to. Of course, only one of the old group ever actually went very far into the caves, so we never learned anything, but. . . . I don’t know.”

“What do you want to do?” David asked.

“We’re going to take this home.” Allar slid the scimitar into the sheath that had held his old sword, now lost somewhere in the flooded sinkhole. “They’ll probably hate me if I bring it back with word that Dentalles was friends with a dark Elf, but maybe if we’re lucky it will convince them what they’re doing is wrong.”

David drew in a surprised breath, and lay a considering eye upon his old friend. Rather than let on that he was pleased, however, he said, “We’re two mountain ranges in the wrong direction for that.”

Allar smiled. “Oh, you know where we are? We should wake the others and tell them. Can you go find the dark Elf?”

David nodded. “Alright.”

As Allar staggered away to wake Lacy and Babb, David gathered up his still-soaked clothes and slipped on the overrobe for at least some decency. Grimacing at the clamminess of the robe, he headed downhill, following the direction he last saw Tri’ni going. Down the mountainside slightly, he spotted her standing on a rock, trying to reach a low branch among a copse of trees. She was squinting at the brightness of the newly risen sun, and making an ill-aimed swipe at a branch, she lost her balance and fell.

David came up to her as she pushed herself to her feet, favoring her right arm.

“Good morning, Tri’ni.”

She nodded weakly, then pressed her back to a tree, standing in its shadow. “How much brighter will this get? I can’t really see.”

David shrugged, and was about to reply when he noticed she was missing some of her clothes. She still had on her vest, boots, and gloves made of the strange violet and black hide, but she had on no pants, and her vest was open enough to reveal that she wasn’t wearing anything beneath it.

Looking down at his feet, David said, “You’re going to sunburn if you keep your clothes off.”

She grimaced and moved to sit in the tree's shadow. “What do you mean? No one ever told me the light would be that hot.”

David blew a frustrated sigh. “Where are your clothes?”

“I was trying to get them.” She pointed up into the branches of the tree, and David glanced up to see her short pants and top draped over a branch ten feet up.

David shifted uncomfortably.

“Relax,” Tri’ni said. “I’m not running around naked on purpose. But the clothes were wet and uncomfortable. I can’t imagine you’re enjoying having those sopping robes on you.”

“Yeah, well. Yeah. So, do you need help? Help getting your clothes down? We’re, um.”

David shook his head to himself, then took a calming breath. He stuck his hand into a moist pocket of his robes and pulled out the appropriate talisman, and a few moments later the wet garments were drifting down to the ground, supported by invisible force.

“So, yeah. Just get dressed, and come over with the rest of us. We’re planning where we’re going next.”

“David, I can’t see you. Don't run off.” She stood and peekd at the sun, then winced. “Were you serious about the sun burning me? And how can you see in this light?”

David sighed and looked away, waiting for her to dress. “Whenever you’re done, just give me your hand. I’ll lead you back. The light won’t hurt you.”

Tri'ni chuckled quietly. “I’m still reeling a bit from coming to the surface. You know that I’m completely relying on you four, though. I have no idea where I am, or what I can-”

Suddenly she paused, then began speaking in Taranesti for a moment. David glanced over to see her retying the fragile necklace Lacy had placed the translating spell upon. A moment later, Tri’ni sighed.

“I need to learn the actual language, not rely on this thing. I love magic, of course, but I get confused when I look up, and I know that those are ‘clouds,’ even though I don’t really know what they are.”

“Are you regretting you came up here?” David asked, smirking. “It’s not too late for Allar to go back to disliking you.”

She grinned. “Are you crazy? A lot of people don’t even believe the surface exists, and those that do dream getting a chance to see it. Plus, there’s the fact that the Trillith would have tracked me down if I’d stayed below. I like it here, even if I can’t see anything.”

She reached out uncertainly with her hand, and David took it with a smile, pulling her after him.

Soon they were gathered together near the edge of the sinkhole they had climbed out of half a day earlier. Babb, Lacy, and Allar had stripped off their heavier clothes or armor, and they looked rather ridiculous in their underclothes. David sat Tri’ni down in the shadow of a large rock, and then he addressed them all.

“It’s probably not worth the effort of drying your clothes. We’re in the Stormset Mountains.”

“What’s that?” Babb asked.

David smiled, proud to have the chance to explain. “A lot of storms drive down from the north, hit these mountains, and get caught in a semi-circular mountain formation, causing it to rain all the time. The valleys west of here are very fertile from the constant rainfall, even though they don't get much sun for most of the year.

“Last night I took a rough read of the constellations and was able to place us at about the right latitude, and I knew we were definitely in the Otdar Range, not the Tunda. I could be a little more certain exactly where if I took some time and made a makeshift astrolabe, but we’re somewhere on the eastern border of Tennas, at least a hundred miles north of Gresia.”

Babb glanced over at Tri'ni, who had a confused expression. He laughed. “Don't worry. I don't know what he's talking about either.”

David frowned. “If we head west, it’s two hundred miles to Palesi, the capital. We could hopefully catch a ship there, swing down to Seaquen, then back to Elstrice. It might take us a month or two, but it will actually be faster than if we were still in Kequalak and tried to make the distance on foot. Is that simple enough for you?”

Babb grumbled. “Back to that first part. You’re saying that for the next few days, we’re going to be slogging through rainstorms?”

David nodded, smiling.

“I don’t mind so much,” Tri’ni said. “That one last night was like nothing I had ever heard of before. Are they common up here?”

Allar replied, “Common enough.”

Tri'ni smiled slightly to Allar. David was glad to see his friend was no longer giving the girl trouble.

“So,” Allar asked, “What are we going to do about our new fellow adventurer? Anyone here know how Tennae feel about dark Elves?”

No one answered.

“We'll worry about that later," David said. “If nothing else, we can pass her off as Kohalesti."

Lacy said, “She should be fine. The Tennae do have a few monsters of the night, but they're all very pale from what I remember. You don't like snakes, do you?"

Tri'ni shrugged and shook her head.

“We need to find a town soon,” David said, trying to get their attention back on him. “Our supplies are low, even I want some new clothes, Allar’s going to need three different splints, and his arm needs long-term rest. I got my chin torn open on a rock, but it only hurts when I talk. Any other noteworthy injuries?”

Lacy pointed to her arms. "I got a few splinters when the dragon tore the tree in half, but I've healed them."

Tri’ni grimaced and pulled off her gloves, revealing raised veins and purple mottling. “Thankfully it's gotten better since the Trillith died. I don’t know what it is, but it doesn’t hurt much. It actually feels pretty good getting some light on it.”

Allar just lifted his left arm. The tooth marks from the dragon were still visible, and it would take more magical healing skill than Lacy had to repair all the damage.

Babb snorted at Allar's wound, and held up his own hand. “Broken fingers. Two or three ribs. This nice semi-circular series of matching puncture marks on my chest and back. And yeah, I also got that weird veiny thing from the dragon breathing on me.”

“You’ll live,” Lacy said, smiling. “So, David, how far is it to the nearest town?”

David took a deep breath and began to explain.

Three days later, David glanced out the second-story window of their host’s house, pondering the lonely white spire that poked out of the trees a mile away in the valley to the west.

The town of Ventnor had been slowly shifting eastward, fleeing the expanse of the haunted Ycengled Phuurst generation after generation since before modern history. The people of Ventnor were too superstitious to cut down the trees of the old forest, rumored to be home to uneasy Elvish ghosts, so every few decades they simply abandoned their older buildings and relocated a safe distance from the dangers of the wood.

David opened the window for a clearer view, and he nodded. The spire that survived was not white, but polished metal, ages old, and marked with the remnants of what had once been a cross surrounded by a ring of feathers. The symbol of the Angelican Church.

Dressed in his new, dry robes, David pressed a hand to his chest, feeling the cross beneath the fabric.

David made up his mind, and headed to talk to Allar.

Downstairs, the elder Valheur was sharing steaming cider with Babb and Allar, the old man’s deep voice rambling on in Tennae as he told a story for his own amusement. No one in the city spoke enough of any language David and the others could understand, but they had not been inhospitable. A younger husband and wife pair were chatting with their five-year-old son in one corner as they beat and folded piles of blankets. Sitting with Lacy in another corner, away from the windows, Tri’ni was making humorous faces at the five-year-old while she practiced speaking what little Lyceian she had been able to actually learn since coming to the surface.

David waved as he came down the stone stairs, and the young boy suddenly shouted and ran over to Tri’ni and Lacy. He pointed at the ground at their feet, and before the women could react, the husband ran over and stomped on the floor. The man’s boot heel snapped the spine of the slender serpent the boy had been pointing at.

“Caneb om drankur,” the man laughed. He shooed his son away and picked up the dead snake to dispose of it.

“I thank you,” Tri’ni replied, her accent pronounced. She smiled at the boy.

The boy cringed and backed away. “Nocheb lud, dadder. Om drankur au nocheb lud.”

The father looked displeased, and he pulled the boy away, saying something chiding. Lacy and Tri’ni exchanged glances of concern, but the elder Valheur looked over to them and waved a hand dismissively. He laughed, and everyone relaxed.

David headed to the table to sit beside Allar, noticing Tri’ni tying her translating necklace back on. David had to stand on the bench, but he was greeted by a newly-poured cup of cider. He nodded a thanks to the man and took a sip.

“Allar, I think I know where we can find some more information about your sword.”

Tri’ni came up then. “Dentalles’s sword?”

David nodded, somewhat nervous. “I think there’s an old Angelican church in the woods out there. I could perform a more accurate divination on the blade if we could clear away any impurities. With luck the old church should have a font to generate holy water.”

Allar stared at David dubiously. “David?”

“What?” David drew himself up haughtily. “Do you not want to come?”

“I’ll come,” Allar said, looking down guiltily. “You’re right. I do need to follow through on my promise.”

Babb bent his head near to Tri’ni. “You understand what they’re talking about? Maybe I could borrow that necklace of yours.”

“No clue.”

David frowned at the Geidon and the dark Elf. “The church is probably abandoned, but I feel Allar needs to spend some time in prayer. I know the rest of you don’t share my beliefs, but we did just barely survive our last ‘adventure.’ We should all take some time to consider how our lives have been affected by this.”

Allar shrugged and look to the others. His tone was apologetic. “I promised him I’d go.”

Babb shook his large horned head. “If you feel so troubled by coming out alive, go ahead. I can’t tell what they’re saying, but I’m pretty sure people here think those woods are cursed.”

In the corner of the room, Lacy nodded. “They have a fence keeping people from going that direction.”

“Don’t worry about us,” Allar said. “It’s probably just fear of Elves. It’s an Elvish forest. I’m part Elf. It’s an Angelican church, and David’s family is Angelican.”

David glared at Allar.

Allar added, “And, um, so am I.”

“Can I come?” Tri’ni asked.

“No,” Allar said quickly. “Stay here and practice your Lyceian some more.”

David smirked. “And see if you can learn some Tennae, too.”

Tri’ni, slumped against the table unhappily, sighed meaningfully, and then sat up straight. “Actually,” she said, “I do recognize a few words here and there. Entras – she was with Dentalles and Cloin, and Javin – she was from around here, I think.”

“Excellent,” David said. “You can thank our hosts for us while we’re gone. I’m going to get my things.”

Lacy stood up and walked over, concern on her face. “I’ll go with you, if that’s alright. It’s not my church, but I could find something to pray about.”

David looked up at the tall woman, then over to Allar, wavering about how to reply. Allar reached out with his hand and touched Lacy’s sleeve to get her attention.

“Lacy, honestly, you wouldn’t want to go. We’ll make sure we’re back before sunset, if it’s monsters you’re worried about.”

Lacy frowned. “If you really don’t want me to go, then-”

Tri’ni waved for her to sit down. “Lacy, I would still like to practice a bit more.”

“Oh, alright then. I guess you two should be careful, just in case.”

David nodded to her in thanks, then glanced at Tri’ni in confusion. He thought he had seen her smirking back to him, but she looked completely uninterested now. David started for the stairs. “I’ll make sure to bring Allar back safely.”

“Don’t cut yourself on the sword,” Babb called, laughing.

Allar laughed back, then drew the scimitar and swung it lightly at Babb’s cider cup, intending to knock it into the Geidon’s lap. Instead, the edge of the blade slid through the cup.

Allar stopped in surprise, lifting the sword cautiously. The top inch of the cider mug came free from the rest, lying on the flat of the black scimitar. The sword had cut through the cup with no resistance.

Coughing nervously, Allar tipped the sword and dropped the top of the cup on the table. The elder Valheur man picked up the wooden ring and held it close to his eye, disapproving.

Allar shrugged sheepishly and moved to follow David. To Tri’ni, he said, “See if you can apologize for me. Tell him we’ll get him a new cup.”

David and Allar slipped up the stairs to their rooms, and a minute later they were out the front door, heading toward the woods to explore the old church.

Last edited:

Remove ads