• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Mother of Dreams - Episode 5 (updated February 1st, 2005)

Yeah, they're long. Then again, so are my story hour posts...

I'm really enjoying it so far. I like the witty dialogue especially. Very well done. The only "criticism" I'd make is that the narrative is very tactical. I have a hard time following really tactical fight scenes on paper. Although that's fairly popular; R.A. Salvatore rights much like that as well.

Also, the D&D feel is really strong; moreso than in a lot of official game fiction, for that matter. And it's not just the things they're doing; starting off in a dungeoncrawl, for instance, but I can really almost feel the mechanics behind it -- the HP loss behind the attacks, etc.

Well... IMO, 6-7 pages is about the tops for posts. In my short storythread experience, any more than that starts to get extremely long. Nowadays I head for 4-6.

For it being straight up fiction, I like it. My experience with writing fiction as opposed to story hours hasn't been the best, but this one feels like an authentic story hour, and I could imagine players making some of the witty comments during the midst of the chaos around them. (I love the witty comments and the dry humor :) ) Was that the intention, or just a byproduct?

All in all, I like it. You're probably going to get me checking back on it when there are updates! :)

Last edited:

Jon Potter

First Post
Okay, the link to your website answered my first couple of questions: those being why any race couldn't heal any other race with impunity and what was up with the magic system in general? That whole aura thing is interesting. (Does that mean that an elf could disrupt a dragon's ability to cast spells just by making flesh-to-flesh contact? That would be a pretty exploitable weakness were that the case. Of course you'd still have to deal with the all the pointy bits trying to slash and rend you into kibble - but still!)

Anywho, I agree with both JD and EV when they say that the dialog lends this story a real "story hour" feel. It all sounds like the sort of quips that are tossed around a gaming table.

And one more question that is so far unanswered: what's the deal with Babb? Is his race some sort of minotaur or satyr or what?

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Right now, I'm not sure what the plot is, and so I end up skimming a little, looking for clues as to where the story is going. It kind of just feels like "adventurers wander about aimlessly" -- I'd be more engrossed if I had some idea that something was at stake for somebody. But as it is...

Allar and Babb are the strongest characters so far but I can't really picture them -- I'd like a better image of everyone, really.

But overall, it's good stuff. Keep it up.

haiiro

First Post
RangerWickett said:
I wonder if perhaps the first installment was too long.

It's certainly too long for me -- I like more bite-sized updates, because then I can check in when I don't have a whole lot of time to spare. I often browse EN World in the morning before work, and a smaller update means I'll have time to read it -- a longer update means I'll wait until later on, maybe forget, and maybe not read it at all.

When I first posted my SH, I went the same route that you did: nice big updates -- only in my case, they were large and infrequent. As a result, the SH never stayed on the front page long enough to spur commentary, and never gathered any readers. The few comments I got at the start mentioned the length as a negative.

When I started it up again, re-edited and with shorter posts, it did much better (and I'm having a lot more fun with it as a result).

Enough about the length, though. ;)

In a nutshell: you've started up a good Story Hour, and your writing really pops. I checked in when you first started it up, I took a look and was put off by the length and the initial lack of description (the latter of which came up in your feedback thread). I think you've gone back in and edited the first post to include a bit more detail about the characters -- it certainly seems that way, and I sunk into it a lot easier the second time around.

In any case, the first post is now very solid -- I really like the Resident Evil tones, the snappy character dialogue, and the fact that I can really visualize the action as you describe it. That last one is something I look for in fiction, and you've done a very good job of it. Nice work! :)

I'll be checking back in as time permits, and it's probably worth mentioning that the "fictionalized, not just an account of the game" element doesn't bother me -- good reading is good reading.

What I would love to do is start each chapter with a map. The tone I'm going for is mild parody of D&D gaming, with interesting characterization to make the story more character-driven than plot-driven. A map would reinforce the D&D-ism, I think, but hopefully not too much. Plus it'd make fun of other fantasy settings where the book starts with a world map. Well I'd have a map in each chapter, so nyah.

I just like maps.

Last edited:

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
For those who wanted a few questioned answered about the setting and races, I put up an overview of the world here.

I wanted to work on an update today, but most of my time was spent fixing small problems here and there, revising things, and working on the site. Maybe I'll get in a little writing before I sleep.

Hi RangerWickett. Out of curiosity, I visited your website. I found the map link on your first page http://www.geocities.com/rangerwickett/Tremabig.jpg to give me some Yahoo error message.
"Sorry, the page you requested was not found."

Anyway, I'm still reading through your world. The Story has been enjoyable to read, and I've kept it in my subscribed listing.

GW

Episode Three: Dreams of the Dead, Section II

Outside the hollow church doorway, the forest danced slowly with dark emerald hues, afternoon sunlight filtering through layers of translucent leaves. The ground was clear of underbrush, just soft grass and the smooth, wide trunks of Ycengled Phuurst’s trees. And the crumpled ruins of a village that had always feared these woods. The forest was quiet, except for the rustle of branches high overhead. Only snakes lived here, and they were always silent.

Then, at the base of the chapel’s hill, two figures appeared and approached, talking. They reached the old chapel quickly, and stood before its open door for a moment.

Allar said, “The church has taken a beating.”

David said, “I’m amazed this place is still standing. It has to be at least a thousand years old.”

Allar gestured forward. “Let’s go inside, then. The door’s open for us.”

David scoffed. “The door rotted away centuries ago.”

“This place looks dead,” Allar sighed.

David smirked. “Really? I would’ve thought an old abandoned church would’ve been a fun, lively place.”

Allar glared at David, then sighed and laughed weakly. “Well, is there at least something to make holy water with?”

“Yes,” David said, pointing to the pulpit, at the far end of the church. “Over there.”

The old church was roughly cross-shaped, forty feet wide with a north and south wing just before the pulpit. The walls had cracked or eroded away in many places, and the ceiling was all but gone. There were no furnishings or decorations, nothing living, not even weeds. At the axis of the church, between the two wings, a massive decayed tree lay rotting, blocking the path to the pulpit, so they had to climb over it.

Allar made it over quickly, but David had trouble. At one point he lost his balance and fell into the damp mulch of what had used to be branches. He caught himself with his hands, but he sank in to his elbows, and felt something solid in his hand. Then that something squirmed and David pushed away, pulling his hands free in fear. In the hole his hand had left in the mulch, a pale green serpent writhed for a moment, then slithered up out of the hole and fled to a different part of the tree.

David shuddered for a moment, then jumped his way to the other side of the tree, sprinting to Allar.

“There’s a snake in there,” David said, still shuddering slightly. He rubbed his hands on his robe to wipe the mulch off, then took a deep breath.

Allar asked, “It didn’t bite you, did it?”

“No.” David shook his head. “It just . . . just surprised me. Come on. No worries. It was just a snake, after all.”

David headed over to the pulpit, where sat a cylindrical stone basin, filled with rainwater. It was covered in carvings, now all too worn with age to decipher. David pulled up a talisman and dipped it into the water. The talisman flickered briefly with light, then faded.

“This is it. Allar, come over here.”

Allar followed, but he looked over his shoulder at the tree, nervous.

“David, did you see anything alive out in the woods? Any birds, or even mice?”

David shook his head. “No. Come on, could you help me out? This thing’s deeper than my arm, and we have to clear out all the leaves that are stuck in the bottom, or else it’ll be harder to sanctify.”

“I’m just asking,” Allar continued, “because it’s a little suspicious, right?”

“Whatever you say. Just reach down there and scoop up any muck.”

Allar shrugged and rolled up his sleeves, then reached in. “So we’re actually going to figure out what the sword’s magic is? I thought this was just an excuse to talk.”

David smirked and nodded. “We do need to talk, but I also want to learn about the sword. You’ve been hiding things from me, and so has that sword, and I want answers from each of you.”

Allar pulled up a handful of brown muck from the bottom of the font. He looked at David for a moment, expressionless, then tossed the muck on the floor.

“What do you want to know?”

“What happened back there, with the dragon and the ‘trillith’? Everyone else is pretty convinced you were just being mind controlled, but-”

“You think I attacked her on purpose?” Allar growled with disgust.

David waved a hand uncertainly. “I know there was a time you would have been happy to fight a dark elf.”

“God dammit, David. I-” Allar stopped, nervous for a moment as he looked around the church. “David, I don’t want to talk about that. I already told you what happened back in Tundanesti.”

“Yes, and it took you a year to do it. How can I not be worried about you now, Allar? I was supposed to bring you back home eight years ago, and instead we’ve been running around in ancient tombs nearly getting killed. You can’t tell me you’re doing this because you want fame and glory, because we haven’t managed anything close to that yet.”

“No, that’s not it.” Allar weakly tossed another handful of sludge on the floor. “It’s just, what else am I supposed to do? By now, it’s been, what, ten years? I don’t really have any friends back in the caravan. I know more people in Elstrice than back home.”

David sighed. “I do understand that a little, and if you don’t want to go back, I can’t make you. But it’s not just that. I guess I’m worried that I’ll never get a chance to go home if I have to stay around to keep fixing your problems. I can’t leave you by yourself because, if this past week was any indication, you still aren’t over that time you spent with the Tundanesti.”

“Fix my problems? Is that why you wanted to bring me out here? Dammit, David, I’m twenty-six years old. We’ve been friends now for almost eight years, and you still treat me like you’re on a mission to rescue me.”

“Allar, you did try to kill the dark elf girl. I mean, goodness, normal people have a hard time coping with taxes and thieves, but somehow we’re completely fine with fighting the walking dead, unearthing some sort of evil fey, killing monsters we didn’t even know existed, and then fighting a dragon. And the dragon did something to you that made you want to kill a woman a few days earlier you yourself had rescued. I mean . . . I think I must be crazy to be out adventuring with you. You think I might have a good reason to worry that you’re alright?”

“I’m fine, David.” Allar tossed two more piles of muck onto the floor. “There, the water should be clean enough.”

“You’re not fine, Allar. Nothing’s fine right now. I’m not blind. You’re hiding something. It’s obviously something that’s hurting you.”

Allar scoffed. “Honestly, relax. Let’s just do what we said we came here for.”

Allar drew the black scimitar, and for a moment David recoiled. Allar frowned at David’s fright, then placed the scimitar into the basin, so that only the hilt and the last few inches of the blade were outside the water. “I’m not going to talk about it. Just do your magic.”

David glared at Allar. “I’m just trying to help, and you won’t listen. I . . . I don’t understand you.”

* * *​

Ne, chial zhu nosorres hadalis eyes from everyone else?”

Lacy blinked at Tri’ni. “What?”

“Sorry.” Tri’ni grinned sheepishly. She had just finished tying the translation charm in the middle of her sentence.

Tri’ni, Lacy, and Babb were the only people in Ventnor outside right now. They stood along the dilapidated gray fence that marked the border between the small town and the Elvish forest, waiting for Allar and David to return. Several hours had passed since they had left, and the sun would soon set. The atmosphere in the village was anxious, and now the three of them stood alone in the fading light.

Tri’ni, covered with a draping robe to keep her from sun-burning, pointed up at Lacy’s face. “I was trying to ask, if it’s not rude, why you have different eyes from everyone else? There’s no crease on your eyelid.”

“Oh.” Lacy laughed and smiled. “My family is Xaopin.”

Tri’ni nodded slowly. “And that means. . . ?”

Babb was grim. “It means nobody likes her.”

Lacy laughed again, weakly. “Damn, but I wish you weren’t right.”

“You’re not helping,” Tri’ni said.

Lacy shook her head. “Alright, I guess I do need to explain. Um, so, most humans are descended from a group called the Serens. They used to have an empire here three thousand years ago. My family, though, was mostly descended from the Xaopin. They were one of the native cultures here before the Serens arrived. I’ve probably got some Seren blood in me, but my face is the way all Xaopin look.”

Babb added, “And most humans think she’s funny-looking and uneducated. But my sister is very educated.”

“Thanks,” Lacy said, bitter.

Tri’ni was still confused. “So, are all Chowping people tall?”

Babb chuckled and grinned at Lacy. “Funny looking. I told you.”

Lacy ignored Babb and said, “No. I’m just . . . very tall.”

“Well I think you’re very pretty.” Tri’ni smiled to try to cheer up the six-and-a-half-foot tall woman.

“Thanks,” Lacy laughed. “It’s actually a little fun being the tallest person around.”

Babb straightened with pride. “It helps that she has me around to make her look taller.”

Tri’ni, just barely over five feet tall, looked up at the six-foot Babb. “You are positively tiny.”

Babb snorted.

After a moment, Tri’ni asked, “So . . . you and Allar both have yellow . . . wait, blonde hair. And everyone here has brown or black. Allar is a Tundanesti Elf, and you’re Xaopin. Dentalles was also Tundanesti, but he had very dark hair.”

Lacy answered, “Allar’s a half-Elf. His dad was a human, from Kequalak, I think.”

Tri’ni squinted, confused. “You wouldn’t happen to have a map, would you?”

Lacy shook her head, and Babb shrugged.

The air suddenly grew chill as the first sliver of the sun slipped behind the treetops, and shadows stretched across them.

Tri’ni stood on her tiptoes, closed her eyes, and turned her cheek to catch the fading rays of sunset. She smiled. “You have these every day?”

“Yes,” Lacy laughed quietly. “Don’t worry. You won’t miss it. They happen all the time. In fact, this one’s pretty bland.”

Tri’ni sighed. “It’s still beautiful.”

“Here,” Babb said, his tone serious, “it’s dangerous.”

Tri’ni lowered herself out of the sunlight and blinked. The forest beyond the fence was dark, full of dancing emerald shadows. Only a few spots gleamed with rays of fading sunlight, and together the three of them watched, hoping to see David and Allar return.

“Babb,” Tri’ni asked, “you’re a. . . ?”

“Geidon.”

“And your head? That’s normal?”

Babb swiveled his huge, bull-like head to stare at her, then snorted. He turned back to watch the woods.

“Yeah,” Babb said. “Normal enough.”

* * *​

David concentrated on the black blade, mentally feeling all the blood, sweat, grime, and other less-physical presences that would interfere with the identification magic. It was taking longer than he had expected, and the sun was setting. There were so many conflicting magical auras on the sword, David could not imagine how old it must be, but he was almost done. The scimitar waited, its blade immersed in the font of blessed water, quietly holding onto its secrets.

Allar sat quietly on a rock that had once been part of the church wall. As the last light of the sun drifted into shadow, he stood and walked a path around the pulpit, tracing his fingers over long-eroded decorations that had once adorned the dead building. David wondered what he could be so interested in, but he had to focus on the spell. Then finally he sifted clear the last taint on the sword, and he could feel its real magic.

The church was dark, and the sun had set.

There came a rustling sound from the fallen tree, and Allar said, “David, what-?”

Then light rippled into the room, gleaming from the water’s surface in the holy font. The rustling sound stopped suddenly, and David gasped, looking into the water. There was an image in the water, and David furrowed his brow as he tried to decipher what he was seeing.

“Well,” he said, “the spell worked.”

“About time,” Allar replied. He was about to say more, but as moved to beside David and looked into the water, he couldn’t force them out.

The image on the water rippled between images, showing a string of people, each holding the sword. A woman’s face in silhouette, a sneering brown-skinned man, a dark-haired Elfwoman with her eyes closed and pained, a light-haired Elfwoman with a sundered mask in her other hand, an elderly man wearing a crown, and many more. There was no sound, from the font or from the enthralled Jispin and half-Elf.

The image faded to black, and again there was a hiss behind them. Allar and David spun, and the creature lunged. It was humanoid, with pale flesh, dull white fangs, and eyes that glowed gold. Its reaching arms shed the sleeves of its draping clothes like peeling skin, and it fell upon Allar, biting his neck.

Allar cried out and reached for the nearest weapon, pulling the scimitar from the font as if drawing it from its sheath. As he swung, sanctified water sliced through the air, spattering David’s face. The blade fell upon the creature’s back with a sizzle, and the beast pulled away. It staggered to the ground on its hands and feet, and Allar slumped limply beside the font. The scimitar clattered on the floor, and the monster spun to face David.

Screaming, David tore his talisman free from its cord as he drew it and evoked its power. Flames burst into life across the creature’s head and back, and it wailed a nearly-human scream, then leapt away. For a moment it clung to the high old wall of the church, and then it rolled across the top stones, trailing fire as it fled into the woods.

David dropped to kneel beside Allar, but Allar was not moving. Blood pulsed down his chest from the wound in his neck, lit by the glow from atop the font. Desperate, David scooped a handful of the blessed water into his hands and poured it upon the wound. Allar’s body tensed for a moment, and his head rolled to the side, but the bleeding did not stop. David pressed a palm to the wound to keep in the blood, then sagged upon his dying friend’s chest, terrified.

In the distance he heard the monster’s cry, and much closer, from the fallen tree, he heard soft, insistent hisses, growing closer.

Last edited:

Episode Three: Dreams of the Dead, Section III

Still clutching his fire magic talisman, David reached into his robes and drew the light talisman. He held it out in his right hand, keeping his left hand pressed to the wound on Allar’s throat. His talisman filled with magic and cast light into the ancient church, revealing dozens of pale serpents slithering toward him from the remains of a giant tree that lay crashed in the center of the room.

“Get back!” David shouted, releasing his light talisman to dangle from its cord, and channeling energy again through the fire talisman. The nearest snake burst into flame and writhed silently on the ground. The other snakes, undeterred, continued to approach.

Allar groaned and shifted under David’s hand, and David felt warm blood again spread across his palm. The snakes were only ten feet away now, hissing and weaving. David scrambled to grab Allar’s black scimitar, and as one snake dashed forward he swung the blade in both hands, knocking the creature away and severing its head. Other snakes sped toward him, and David flailed wildly at the ground, killing some, feeling others slide up his boot to his pant leg. Swinging in a failing effort to keep the snakes at bay, David tripped over a piece of rubble and fell amid a pile of snakes. They scattered at first, then turned and slithered back for him.

The painful flare of a bite came from David’s leg, and he felt something sliding into his hair. Only one of his spells could deal with so many creatures at once, and though it might kill him, he was out of choices. The blade shape of the fire talisman was filled with the ashes of a powder house in Elstrice that had exploded in a fire, and David tapped its energy now. A ball of fire appeared in his free hand, normally intended for hurling at distant foes. David closed his eyes and smashed his palm to the ground.

The explosion carried him into the air and seared the ground. When he crashed back to the baked ground, he batted at his clothes and cringed at the pain of burnt flesh across his face and hands. But then he heard the satisfying dry slaps of dozens of charred snakes falling to the ground around him. There was no more hissing.

Ignoring the pain from the fire, David crawled back over to Allar next to the holy water font. Allar was moving slightly, pressing a hand to the wound on his neck, though he seemed delirious. Thankfully he had been outside the blast of the fireball.

Remembering the bite he had felt on his leg, David grimaced and drew a knife. First he cut open his pant leg, then he cut open the flesh on his leg. For the first time in a long while, he cursed outwardly, gritting his teeth at the pain. Then he bent awkwardly and began to suck at the wound, spitting out the blood and hopefully the poison.

After a few moments David tied a bandage of torn cloth across the snake bite. Allar still had enough presence of mind to keep pressure on his wound, though David could not guess how it might be affecting his thinking. He tried to talk, but the warmth in his mouth nearly made him retch.

He staggered over to beside the font of holy water, intending to wash out his mouth and clean his hands. Instead, just as he was swishing a mouthful of holy water, he saw that images were again glowing from the water’s surface. The brown-skinned man again, whom David could now see was a half-Elf, was standing with several other people in a forest grove, speaking with a small golden-scaled dragon. The creature, as large as any of the people in the image, was cowering in apparent fear. David wished he could hear what was going on.

He wanted to take Allar to safety, but he could never carry him alone, and he couldn’t risk leaving him, so he placed a loose bandage on Allar’s wound and waited, watching the images in the font, hour after hour. Allar stirred and twitched, seemingly in time with some of the more disturbing images from the spell. Though David did not know what story these images told, he was growing uncomfortable. Every few minutes he would glance at the sword, lying on the floor a few feet away, and wonder if it was watching him. One time when he turned to check on the sword, he saw a figure waiting nearby it.

“What are you doing?” the figure asked in Elvish.

David gasped, seeing the pale monster from before standing at the edge of the pulpit, amid the charred snakes. It took him a moment to realize that the creature had spoken to him, in Tundanesti Elvish no less. David did not reply, and the humanoid thing blinked its glowing eyes at him, its expression angered.

Slowly it knelt, loose white cloth draping across its frail body. With two fingers it touched the spot where David had spat his blood. It held up the fingers to consider the blood, then bent lower and licked the remaining blood off the floor. David shuddered.

“Your friend is dying,” the creature whispered, as if sharing a secret. It looked up to him, but did not stand. “What faith brings you to the empty doors of this church?”

David said, “I wouldn’t have thought you could talk. But I and my friend share a faith with this church, and if you threaten us or it. . . .”

He trailed off, uncertain if he could back up a threat. Judging by how the holy water had burned the creature, it was probably undead, but David could not be sure if it was corporeal, or if it had any weaknesses.

It sighed and said, “I died in these woods many years ago, during the black moon. No church sheltered me then.

“But now,” the creature said with a long-toothed smile, “it has brought the blessing of a feast to me. How shall I offer thanks to your god?”

David said, “My God prefers it when the dead stay dead. Well, usually. Why are you haunting here?”

David glanced at the black scimitar, lying just a few feet away on the floor. The creature’s burns from David’s spell were gone, but he hoped that perhaps the creature would fear the sword.

“I do not haunt.” The creature sneered. “I am cursed to have no grave, like the line of those before me. There is nothing left to eat here, and even my attempt to pass this curse, you thwarted.”

The undead looked to Allar, and David followed his gaze. David looked back defiantly and took a step forward, toward the sword. “Be gone from here.”

It smiled. “Impressive words, but powerless. I have tasted your essence, and so you cannot harm me.”

From beside the font, Allar croaked out, “Pick up the sword, stupid.”

David hesitated, and the creature leapt forward, the flesh of its Elvish face tearing away as it spread its jaws to bite him. David backpedaled and stumbled, but managed to dodge the creature as it tried to grab for him. He pulled out his dagger and stabbed at it, but his blade felt like it was striking unyielding stone. Hissing, the blood-drinker grabbed David and tried to lift him to its face. David reached out and grabbed the only sturdy object, the font, and as he was lifted the font tipped sideways and spilled. The light from its surface vanished suddenly, but as the water splashed across the creature it sizzled. The undead shrieked and dropped David, then backed away. The skin along its legs was melted as if by intense heat, pale flesh turned black.

David held out his fire talisman and called forth a bolt of fire. The blood-drinker completely ignored him as it shook its legs to kick off the burning water. The bolt of fire struck the creature and dissipated with no effect.

David blanched, then in Jispin muttered, “You weren’t bluffing, were you?”

As the firelight faded, the room dropped back into darkness. Hoping the puddle of holy water would keep the creature at bay, David held up his light talisman and called upon its power. The church filled with illumination again, and the creature cringed, covering its eyes. Then it growled and started to approach again. David backed up, but held his talisman higher and channeled some of his last remaining energy into it. The light flared brilliantly and the creature actually backpedaled for a moment, stopping beside the fallen tree.

It snarled and crouched, baring its teeth. Its voice a hiss, it said, “I must remember you have no power over me.”

“Get out of this church!” David shouted.

In sheer frustration, he hurled his fire talisman at the monster. The talisman missed, but cracked open on the ground beside the tree. Flames burst forth in a wide gout, and the tree caught fire. The creature started to approach again, but then it fell back and cried out, shaking its arm, the loose skin of which had caught fire.

David realized that though his magic might not harm the creature, mundane fires from the burning tree would. He ran to the tree and pulled out a branch that practically crumbled apart in his hand, but he tossed it at the blood-drinker, and the creature backed away.

“Your fire will die,” it hissed at him. “I shall return.”

David grabbed up the scimitar and used it to toss burning bits of the tree at the creature, and it retreated slowly out the main door to the church. After a few moments it was gone, and the shattered fire talisman still flared, keeping the dead tree alight. The flames glinted off something in the corner of David’s eye, and he glanced up to see the tall church spire reflecting firelight. Whispering a momentary prayer, he turned back to the font and began to wrack his mind for ways to keep the creature at bay.

When he reached Allar, who lay semi-conscious and groaning, David looked down and saw carefully padded flasks of oil on his friend’s belt.

“Don’t worry,” he said. “I’ll get us out of this.”

* * *​

She dreamed of her first sunrise, the light rising up over the end of this flat world, a brilliant fire that was first beautiful, then so painful to look upon that even those here turned away. And she dreamed of the storm that had greeted her in those first moments in this new homeland, overflowing with power, roaring with a thing she knew was called “thunder.”

And, uneasily, she dreamed of a shadow following her, half a day behind, first arriving in this world in the painful light of day. Its heart was fallow, and it was pursuing her. A shadow she had tried to leave in the darkness below. A seeking shadow that had been given body.

Tri’ni awoke on her side, her breath caught in her throat. She breathed in and opened her eyes, but did not see the expected darkness of this old family house. She was not wearing her necklace, so she did not know the words to describe what she saw beyond the window, but there was fire at night, far in the distance.

She rolled out of bed and grabbed the necklace, then shouted to Lacy, sleeping in the adjacent bed. Entreating her in Taranesti to wake up, she shook the woman with one hand and put on the necklace with the other. Lacy sat up quickly, glaring at Tri’ni for waking her and muttering something about not being touched, but Tri’ni pointed toward the window.

“Look out there,” she said. “It’s fire, in the trees.”

Lacy frowned for a moment, then gasped. “Allar.”

Lacy got out of her bed and quickly began to change into her armor. To Tri’ni she said, “Go wake Babb, and see if you can get any help from the others in the house.”

Tri’ni nodded and ran out into the hallway. She pounded on Babb’s door and shouted, “Wake up,” then ran for the stairs to the common room. She was about to head for the parent’s bedroom when she noticed the elder Valheur sitting by a window, staring out, holding two pieces of a cup in his hand. In her Elvish sight, his figure was dim and old against the dead wood walls.

The racket upstairs of Babb waking up caused the man to turn and see Tri’ni. He said something to her in Tennae, and she shrugged. He sighed, pointed at her, then pointed out the window, then gestured as if he were striking something. Tri’ni could only smile weakly and half-nod, half-shrug.

“Why does no one speak Taranesti?” Tri’ni sighed to herself. Then she paused and touched the necklace.

She untied it quickly and held it out to the old man. He frowned at her, but she smiled as genuinely as she could and walked over to him. He tensed as she reached around his neck to tie it, but as she backed away he patted her lightly on the shoulder. Tri’ni wondered if he thought she was asking for a hug. She chuckled despite the urgency.

She said the only sentence she was sure she knew of Lyceian. “I thank you.”

The man squinted, then scratched his ear and said something. Tri’ni knew it was Lyceian, but of course had no idea what the man was saying. But she smiled anyway and shouted up to Lacy and Babb.

The Elder Valheur tapped her on the shoulder and said something. She turned and saw him holding the necklace between his fingers, shaking his head disapprovingly. She made a saddened face to the man, and cocked her head toward the stairs, then smiled hopefully, doing her best to convince the magic-fearing man to trust her for just a moment. The old man groaned and snorted, then nodded in defeat.

Soon Lacy arrived, then Babb, and then for the next few minutes Tri’ni just sat back and smiled to herself as she listened to the urgent conversation, not understanding a word. Then they were done, and the old man nearly tore off the necklace to toss it back to Tri’ni. She hadn’t even finished tying it back on when Babb pushed a sharpened piece of what she knew was called “wood” into her hands, and they were out of the house, heading for the fire in the night.

Last edited:

Remove ads