• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Nation of Halruaa - Forgotten Realms Lore

FaerunHistory

First Post
Last Friday I joined up to commented on the Stream of Annihilation Thread, and I happen to link my video in there.
It turned out to get me a whole bunch of views from doing that, so I guess I should start showing off my videos here as well.
If I am breaking guidelines by doing this, or if I should be posting this is a different subsection, please let me know. I am new at this :)

The magical nation of Halruaa is located far in the south of Faerun. They are the progenitors of the Red Wizards and the descendants of Netheril. They are surrounded by fierce enemies, including surface drow. But thanks to their awe-inspiring magical prowess, they keep the most secure and stable nation of Faerun.

Learn more about the secluded nation of Halruaa in this weeks video:
[video=youtube_share;McAr6vrVz2U]https://youtu.be/McAr6vrVz2U[/video]

FaerunHistory

First Post
I looked into this, but the whole thing is very muddled. They forsaw the problem, "left" and now are back.
We don't know where they went (in Abeir), what they did there, how their culture changed, what they came back to, how restored their nation is etc.

I thought it best to leave out, maybe tackle in another episode of "What happened during due to Spellplague and Sundering".

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I looked into this, but the whole thing is very muddled. They forsaw the problem, "left" and now are back.
We don't know where they went (in Abeir), what they did there, how their culture changed, what they came back to, how restored their nation is etc.

I thought it best to leave out, maybe tackle in another episode of "What happened during due to Spellplague and Sundering".

Okay, that's cool. They probably left it open so you can explore that in your games. I would imagine they would have gotten even more isolated, but could have held their own against the dragons with all their magic.

FaerunHistory

First Post
I don't doubt that.
Zalathorm Kirkson is on my list of most powerful NPCs in Faerun, going head to head against people like Larloch and Elminister.
I don't think anything outside of a unified Thay or 4th edition Shadovar could threaten them.

dagger

Adventurer
I would not worry about the 4e stuff, we play like it never happened. It was a bad dream by Elminster or something.

FaerunHistory

First Post
They're not the progenitors of the Red Wizards: The Red Wizards are of Imaskari origin and predate Netheril.

Actually, if you read the History of Halruaa in the Shining South, you see that there was a civil war that happened around the year 900. The ones who lost are said to have gone north and founded Thay. - This implies that they are the people who started the rebellion, leading the Wizards of Mulhorand into Thay.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
That doesn't make sense when you consider that Thayans are of the Mulan "race". And every other reference makes it plain that the Red Wizards were a faction within Mulhorand.

The only way to reconcile this is to suggest the Halruaans provided the catalyst for the rebellion against Mulhorand but they're not the founders and they're not the original Red Wizards.

I think the reference in Shining South was written by yet another TSR/WotC designer assigned to work on the setting with no actual background in FR or willingness to do basic research (see anything by R A Salvatore for more obvious examples of this phenomenon) because it doesn't match anything else written about the Red Wizards.

Also, there was a tendency in the 3E era for those without FR knowledge to ascribe everything to the Netherese.

Remove ads