• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Nation of Halruaa - Forgotten Realms Lore

FaerunHistory

First Post
That doesn't make sense when you consider that Thayans are of the Mulan "race". And every other reference makes it plain that the Red Wizards were a faction within Mulhorand.

The only way to reconcile this is to suggest the Halruaans provided the catalyst for the rebellion against Mulhorand but they're not the founders and they're not the original Red Wizards.

I think the reference in Shining South was written by yet another TSR/WotC designer assigned to work on the setting with no actual background in FR or willingness to do basic research (see anything by R A Salvatore for more obvious examples of this phenomenon) because it doesn't match anything else written about the Red Wizards.

Also, there was a tendency in the 3E era for those without FR knowledge to ascribe everything to the Netherese.

"The renegades were driven from the region. The surviving renegades left to found the land of Thay, or so it is said in Halruaa." - Page 4 - The Shining South

My videos always come with a perspective from a person who is supposedly from the region or has a personal view on this. Several hints in this video says she is a Skycaptain that lives in Halruaa but travels the realms. Halruaans say they founded Thay, so for certain, she would restate this “fact”.

If you want the counterstatement, look at my Thay History video. I clearly state that Thay says they were freed by the great leadership of Ythazz Buvaar.
If I had to look at this objectively, would I trust the historical records of Halruaa, or the ones written by a demon summoning lich?

transtemporal

Explorer
Cool videos, but everyone knows the Halruaans are the descendants of Drizzt and Catti Brie. This was covered in RA Salvatore's classic novel "The Night of a Thousand Drizzt's" where he travels back in time with Catti Brie to destroy Artemis Entreri's clone army in the lands that would one day become Halruaa.

Remove ads