The Nature Knight, how would this work in AL - How would you rule it?

devlin1

Explorer
Well, technically there is nothing that says you can't
I'm... pretty sure the only rewards you can get from an adventure are the actual rewards listed in the Rewards section, unless it's a relatively meaningless, mechanics-free roleplaying thing, like keeping a hat from the closet in Death House.

aarduini

Explorer
I'm... pretty sure the only rewards you can get from an adventure are the actual rewards listed in the Rewards section, unless it's a relatively meaningless, mechanics-free roleplaying thing, like keeping a hat from the closet in Death House.

You guys are thinking along the lines of awards. Find steed is a spell, that allows you to summon a riding horse. Animal Friendship is a spell that allows you to befriend an animal

RulesJD

First Post
You guys are thinking along the lines of awards. Find steed is a spell, that allows you to summon a riding horse. Animal Friendship is a spell that allows you to befriend an animal

There is a maaaassive difference between the two. Find Steed doesn't require anything besides a spell slot. Animal Friendship requires there to be an actual animal there to begin with AND requires the DM to give credence to something that happened at a different DMs table (the player finding and taming an animal), which won't always happen.

kalani

First Post
DMs are under no obligation to honor spells cast outside of the current session. IOWs, if you cast animate dead, animal friendship. , or similar spells - the DM is well within their rights to say "sorry, I have no way of verifying this. You will need to start the adventure without the benefit of X or Y creature(s), and recast the spells this adventure."

When it is something like find familiar, find steed, or leomund's secret chest, in which the spell description is self-contained and doesn't rely on outside factors (i.e, the spell provides the creature itself) - most DMs will hand waive it, and allow the creature/item from adventure to adventure. But when the spell acts on an outside force such as awaken, or animal friendship (such a corpse, an animal/plant found in an adventure, etc) DMs are more likely to say no.

aarduini

Explorer
DMs are under no obligation to honor spells cast outside of the current session. IOWs, if you cast animate dead, animal friendship. , or similar spells - the DM is well within their rights to say "sorry, I have no way of verifying this. You will need to start the adventure without the benefit of X or Y creature(s), and recast the spells this adventure."

When it is something like find familiar, find steed, or leomund's secret chest, in which the spell description is
self-contained and doesn't rely on outside factors (i.e, the spell provides the creature itself) - most DMs will
hand waive it, and allow the creature/item from adventure to adventure. But when the spell acts on an outside force such as awaken, or animal friendship (such a corpse, an animal/plant found in an adventure, etc) DMs are more likely to say no.

Ok, I think we are getting away from the purpose of the thread. I see that most on this thread are against it. Thanks for your participation

CapnZapp

Legend
Ok, I think we are getting away from the purpose of the thread. I see that most on this thread are against it. Thanks for your participation
What are your purposes with this thread?

I think you are not getting as many comments (not as many positive comments anyway) as you might have expected, because most people are aware this is the AL subforum, and they don't want to give their personal opinion, which I gather is what you were asking for.

Most people coming here are asking questions to which the answer is supposed to be official. But my guess is you're not expecting an official ruling since you know none is to be had.

Perhaps you will have better luck dropping the AL angle, and simply reposting your feral knight idea in the general 5th edition forum? There people will be much less hesitant giving their personal opinion, since nobody will mistake them for official organization reps.

Cheers! :)

aarduini

Explorer
What are your purposes with this thread?

I think you are not getting as many comments (not as many positive comments anyway) as you might have expected, because most people are aware this is the AL subforum, and they don't want to give their personal opinion, which I gather is what you were asking for.

Most people coming here are asking questions to which the answer is supposed to be official. But my guess is you're not expecting an official ruling since you know none is to be had.

Perhaps you will have better luck dropping the AL angle, and simply reposting your feral knight idea in the general 5th edition forum? There people will be much less hesitant giving their personal opinion, since nobody will mistake them for official organization reps.

Cheers! :)
The purpose of this thread was to get a senses on how DMs would rule it at their table. The AL admins IMO tend to stay away from making rulings. My understanding was they want to empower the DMs. I am not trying to say it should be officially allowed. I was just asking how most people on this thread would rule it. I know most of the DMs where I play would allow it most of the time, but maybe not a convention. They also know I would be doing it for the role playing aspect, and that I usually impose my own restrictions. This thread was helpful. Thank you. I just didn't want it to turn into a thread of people telling me I'm looking for reasons to power game or some such.

CapnZapp

Legend
Good to hear you didn't have the high expectations I feared you would have :)

Most people likely hesitate to say "I would allow this as an AL DM", preferring not to set a precedent that could be used against them "but Bob said he would allow it, why won't you?", instead merely saying what these things always boil down to:

"Expect table variation"​

(This is actually code for a simple "no" in most cases; but without opening up the possibility for the person asking to pursue the question much further)

The idea is to enable individual DMs to be generous without that setting any kind of precedent - that same DM is not supposed to be held accountable for that yes under any circumstances, and he or she is fully empowered to say no the next time, even if the circumstances are identical.

Not having such a yes in writing helps a lot, which is the probable reason for any reticence you might have felt here. And not that your idea is bad per se :)

(Which is why I suggested you air it over at the general non-AL forum instead...)

Cheers!

Inconnunom

Explorer
At an AL table I totally allow things like awakened mount because that's fun and and more interesting than some random mechanical feat. Granted you have to be able to cast said spell. AL already suffers a bit from people who treat it like a mechanical gear grind like WoW (More optimization means more xp). Someone wanting to do something fun would be encouraged were you to sit at my table.*

*Caveat being, if a player was abusing the extended hospitality, there would be reasonable repercussions.

aarduini

Explorer
At an AL table I totally allow things like awakened mount because that's fun and and more interesting than some random mechanical feat. Granted you have to be able to cast said spell. AL already suffers a bit from people who treat it like a mechanical gear grind like WoW (More optimization means more xp). Someone wanting to do something fun would be encouraged were you to sit at my table.*

*Caveat being, if a player was abusing the extended hospitality, there would be reasonable repercussions.

This is how I roll as well. I had one character at my table who had a DM let him befriend a warg from The Great Upheaval. I imagine the DM didn't know that wargs were intelligence evil creatures. Much like the writer who wrote a certain new mod that puts Winter Wolves in a pen in the service to ogres. The player couldn't give me a justifiable explanation as to how he got the Warg to serve him, so I didn't allow it.

Last edited:

Remove ads