• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The New Board Is From The Future!

Zenon

First Post
Using a typical Star Trek logic-leap, I can see that the new board time setting appears to be from the future!(an hour fast)

My profile is set to GMT -5 (Eastern Standard Time), and it shows the board time is 12:46 AM Saturday instead of 11:46 PM Friday.

Just an FYI for the Admins!

orbitalfreak

First Post
here too. In GMT -6 hrs (central USA), time listed as 12:xx, acutally is 11:xx.

Problem with Daylight Savings Time, perhaps (I have absolutely no idea, just throwing out a suggestion)

MythandLore

First Post
The message board is in the future???!

Does that mean when I post a message that there is like an hour delay before other people see it? :confused:

Or does it mean other people can see what I'm going to write before I even write it myself??!! :eek:

Are you from one hour into the future?

What is it like? - Are there flying cars yet?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Actually, I think the error lies at your end.

Y'see, the board is based on GMT, which, as a standard base for the world's time zones, does not change according to season. So, right now, Central Time in the US is NOT GMT -6, it's GMT -5 (or is it -7? I never know which way round it works!). If you tell the board you're in GMT -6, it's going to believe you.

This means, unfortunately, that those of you in areas affected by seasonal changes need to change your time zone setting twice a year. It would be cool if the boards were able to take that into account, but whether or not you are in an area that changes it's time twice a year is based not on time zone, but on location. So two people in the same time zone may actually have different times (although it's pretty rare for somewhere not to have summer and winter time, or whatever it may be called where you live).

Last edited:

orbitalfreak

First Post
Re: The message board is in the future???!

MythandLore said:
Does that mean when I post a message that there is like an hour delay before other people see it? :confused:

Or does it mean other people can see what I'm going to write before I even write it myself??!! :eek:

Are you from one hour into the future?

What is it like? - Are there flying cars yet?

Why, yes, there are flying cars when I'm from.

LeeCHeSSS

First Post
Morrus said:
Actually, I think the error lies at your end.
Then think again ;)

vBulletin does take into account daylight saving, and there is no need for users to keep switching their time settings. Instead, you should change either the server's system clock, or the vbulletin admin control panel's time setting.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But then if someone told the boards that they were in "Central Time, GMT -6", they'd be giving it incorrect info. If it works off of GMT then it's working off of a non-changing time scale; if it takes summer time etc. into account, then it's obviously not working off GMT - in which case what time zone to poeple tell it they're in?

I just checked the CP, and can't find a setting to change that. Any idea where it is?

hong

WotC's bitch
Morrus said:
But then if someone told the boards that they were in "Central Time, GMT -6", they'd be giving it incorrect info. If it works off of GMT then it's working off of a non-changing time scale; if it takes summer time etc. into account, then it's obviously not working off GMT - in which case what time zone to poeple tell it they're in?

I just checked the CP, and can't find a setting to change that. Any idea where it is?

The software probably queries the system for the current time and time zone settings, and calculates everyone's displayed times based on that. If the system is using the wrong TZ, then everyone's times will be off.

You would have to ask the local sysadmin (fizz?) to make sure the local TZ is set correctly; it wouldn't be a vBulletin setting.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Russ, I think there's a setting in the Admin CP that says "what time zone is the server in" -- maybe adjust that by one hour and see what happens?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
EricNoah said:
Russ, I think there's a setting in the Admin CP that says "what time zone is the server in" -- maybe adjust that by one hour and see what happens?

Tried that, Eric - but the problem is, all the timezones are listed as "GMT +/- X", whereas there are actually very few timezones which are consistently GMT +/- a given number of hours.

I guess it'll just be a case of changing the CP setting twice a year. Even that won't really work, because everyone doesn't go into summer/winter time at the same time...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads