The New D&D Adventure Is - Tomb of Annihilation!

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

More updates will be coming through the Dungeons & Dragons marathon live stream live on Twitch throughout the weekend.

I'm confused.

I thought the Forgotten Realms was "restored" almost back to the way it was?

So why is Chult still an island? And why is Samarach, Thindol, and other nations along what USED to be a peninsula, still gone?

This is upsetting. As a Forgotten Realms fan.

It's back to being a peninsula again; it being a peninsula, as well as the existence of Thindol and Samarach, are all mentioned on page 10 of SCAG.. If someone stated otherwise, they're not up-to-date with the changes. I'm curious, who exactly mentioned this?

EDIT: Oh, it's all in the big post on the first page of the thread.
[MENTION=37579]Jester David[/MENTION], you may want to change all the references to Chult as an "island" to it being a peninsula in your big post at the start...

Last edited by a moderator:

It's back to being a peninsula again; it being a peninsula, as well as the existence of Thindol and Samarach, are all mentioned on page 10 of SCAG.. If someone stated otherwise, they're not up-to-date with the changes. I'm curious, who exactly mentioned this?

EDIT: Oh, it's all in the big post on the first page of the thread.
[MENTION=37579]Jester David[/MENTION], you may want to change all the references to Chult as an "island" to it being a peninsula in your big post at the start...
The term "island" was repeatedly mentioned in the stream. SCAG could be misleading or they could be misspeaking on the camera. Or they changed their mind. We'll find out...

The term "island" was repeatedly mentioned in the stream. SCAG could be misleading or they could be misspeaking on the camera. Or they changed their mind. We'll find out...

Weird, given the information in SCAG, especially the fact that Thindol and Samarach are specifically mentioned, as they were the regions blown up to turn Chult into an island in 4e. There's also the fact that they are attempting to move the setting back to its old, pre-4e geography as well.

I'm guessing that it's simply just an oversight by the people who mentioned it - either they are still in a 4e geographical mindset, or simply just don't know it was a peninsula (as did a lot of people when the old 1e Gray Box came out; when the first maps that later showed it connected to the main continent came out, I knew several people who were surprised)

StarFyre

Explorer
Hello everyone,

To clarify, since the original post has been updated with images etc. Regarding the miniatures that sigmaone got the images for:

- acerak lich/demilich & ogre mage the gf9 guy mentioned already exist. They came out a couple years ago. Not sure if they are still available since the gf9 sets are all limited runs (1500 -2500 or so)
- the frost giant shown with the axe seems to be a combat posed version of the frost giant released last september
- they will not be doing the undead trex vomiting zombies; in the video, he says they WOULD HAVE LIKED to do it but its not possible for them, or something to that effect (i imagine they dont have the resin casting facilities as maybe what Forgeworld has, but can't really understand why it would be a problem --- but anyways, thats what he said in the stream)
- i hope we ge tsome large resin dinosaurs; undead trex without the zombies, or an abyssal trex + other dinos, etc

- can someone update the first post regarding the ogre mage and acerak minis?

regards,

Sanjay

SigmaOne

First Post
Hello everyone,

- they will not be doing the undead trex vomiting zombies; in the video, he says they WOULD HAVE LIKED to do it but its not possible for them, or something to that effect (i imagine they dont have the resin casting facilities as maybe what Forgeworld has, but can't really understand why it would be a problem --- but anyways, thats what he said in the stream)

My apologies for getting that wrong; obviously I wasn't paying close enough attention to the interview. I'll correct my original post.

76512390ag12

First Post
Love it! Brilliant. Easily portable! Zombies and Dinosaurs, Dwarfs in Jungles, liches! Yuan-ti! Just the right gap since the last one. Can't wait

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I have the gf9 Acererak mini set from a couple years ago but I guess I'll be pickin up the special edition board game for the painted Acererak mini it will have as well.

Henry

Autoexreginated

It would be really funny if Chult (in the AP) was an island because nobody checked the previous refence in the SCAG... :)

They're pretty good about that kind of stuff, though, so I'm sure it will get clarified in the next couple of months.

Heck, I'm just glad we're not on or under the Sword Coast North any more! Let's hear it for a genuine hardcore AP!

It would be really funny if Chult (in the AP) was an island because nobody checked the previous refence in the SCAG... :)

They're pretty good about that kind of stuff, though, so I'm sure it will get clarified in the next couple of months.

Heck, I'm just glad we're not on or under the Sword Coast North any more! Let's hear it for a genuine hardcore AP!

Same here - I think they may dial back a bit on the focus on the Sword Coast North in future APs because (a) it's already been menaced multiple times and repeating that continuously would really cause suspension of disbelief issues and (b) there's a lot more variety in the setting (and outside the setting!) to show off and detail.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Here's what Ed himself said on the matter. I directly asked him when having this very discussion in another thread, and this is his answer.

A SS of the asnwer.

[sblock]View attachment 84840[/sblock]

So by 1979 he'd been "writing about it for 20 years or so", even though he was born in 1959.

(In the video, you can see how the goblin minis stack to form a totem pole kind of structure.)

Aren't stackable goblins a thing from Diablo 3?

Remove ads

Remove ads