The New D&D Adventure Is - Tomb of Annihilation!

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

More updates will be coming through the Dungeons & Dragons marathon live stream live on Twitch throughout the weekend.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I was born in 63. After reading HP Lovecraft at 10, I wrote some of my own stories.

I have used those ideas in my DnD campaign years later, after being introduced to the game.

So its possible.

Product page is up and live:

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tomb-annihilation

Level range for it is 1-11. No page count listed yet.

And the first paragraph makes this adventure sound even more intriguing:

"The talk of the streets and taverns has all been about the so-called death curse: a wasting disease afflicting everyone who’s ever been raised from the dead. Victims grow thinner and weaker each day, slowly but steadily sliding toward the death they once denied."

Have Elminster or Drizz't ever been raised from the dead? lol

I asked Mearls on Twitter. He says it's a peninsula.

The official product page linked in the post right above yours also refers to Chult as a peninsula, so if it says that on the WotC page, I believe the question to be definitively answered.

And I agree with [MENTION=6818233]Enevhar Aldarion[/MENTION] that the official blurb definitely is an intriguing hook for a campaign...

Henry

Autoexreginated
Assuming "hardcore" means "difficult", why would you think the campaign module would get any harder just because it's set outside of the Sword Coast?

Sorry if that was unclear - two separate thoughts.

A) the first three APs were set west of Cormyr and north of Amn ; subsequent ones, while not strictly "sword coast" had plenty of ties to it. This one sounds like it's at least primarily focused outside the region.

B) I've had plenty of complaints before over the lethality level of previous APs. I'm playing in PotA now, and, though I'm having fun, thanks to the DM, I still haven't felt "threatened" the way I have with pretty much every Paizo Adventure ever. You can chalk some of that up to system, but I chalk some of it up to adventure structure - most of the encounters have felt pretty low-key, and most of the encounters have only had four or five fors and very few spellcasters or creatures with special abilities. Having read through OotA, it felt similar. Past the opening chapter, and the obvious "you should run from this now" plot elements, none of the threats felt "edge of your seat." Even the Tomb of Horrors from Yawning Portal felt a bit of a let-down.

(I have to be honest though, that's my quirk -- I've not been satisfied with anyone's version since Bruce Cordell's Return version in the 90s.)

It might be my perception, but the homebrew stuff I've done I've had better success with, releasing threats in waves, or including more smaller monsters and magic-using threats to complicate the battlefield.

Remove ads

Remove ads