The New D&D Adventure Is - Tomb of Annihilation!

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

More updates will be coming through the Dungeons & Dragons marathon live stream live on Twitch throughout the weekend.

Staffan

Legend
Not Drizzt and I don't think Elminster either.

I also understood that the curse only affects those raised after Accerak cast it, not everybody no matter how long before the curse it has been.

At least from the stream, it appeared that everyone (or at least everyone in a particular region) who had been raised at any point started feeling effects that would eventually re-kill them, and that going forward raising wouldn't work.

ScaleyBob

Explorer
I'm seriously tempted by this Adventure Path, with it's jungles, dinosaurs and other weirdness. Awesome! Not bothered by the fact it's in the Realms either, as somewhere like Chult is suitably isolated that it'd be easy to slip into any campaign without much problem. I haven't bought any of the 5E Adventures yet, but this one has me intrigued.

Truth be told, they had me at Undead Dinosaurs. :)View attachment 84877

All it needs now is a self destructing Warforged Assassin.

CapnZapp

Legend
At least from the stream, it appeared that everyone (or at least everyone in a particular region) who had been raised at any point started feeling effects that would eventually re-kill them, and that going forward raising wouldn't work.
Now if that's an optional rule that actually affects player characters (and not just NPCs ie color background stuff) talk about "hardcore" :n::):):):angel::):):):n:

gyor

Legend
Same here - I think they may dial back a bit on the focus on the Sword Coast North in future APs because (a) it's already been menaced multiple times and repeating that continuously would really cause suspension of disbelief issues and (b) there's a lot more variety in the setting (and outside the setting!) to show off and detail.

I hope your right.

Staffan

Legend
FWIW, I'm almost certainly going to buy this. The only problems are logistical on my side: I'm still in the early stages of running Princes of the Apocalypse, and I should probably be receiving the new edition of TORG at around the same time as this is published.

GarrettKP

Explorer
So I have a theory on how this adventure shakes down. I do not believe Acererak is the main villain. I believe he is present but primarily as a fake out.
I think the primary antagonist of ToA is actually Ras Nsi, the Yuan-Ti with the flaming sword. He is an established Chult character and know for his ability to raise undead.

I expect Acererak has a similar role to Tomb of Horrors. Mostly Passive.

Product page is up and live:

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tomb-annihilation

Level range for it is 1-11. No page count listed yet.

And the first paragraph makes this adventure sound even more intriguing:

"The talk of the streets and taverns has all been about the so-called death curse: a wasting disease afflicting everyone who’s ever been raised from the dead. Victims grow thinner and weaker each day, slowly but steadily sliding toward the death they once denied."

Have Elminster or Drizz't ever been raised from the dead? lol
I believe Elminster has died a couple times. Drizz't wasn't ever raised to my knowledge, but most of his friends have.

I'm not dropbear, but I believe he's suggesting Ed is self-aggrandizing. Or in blunter terms, that he is full of it. That's just a guess, though.
I get not liking the Realms. It's not everyone's cup of tea (and it's popular, there's a lot of it, and people use it poorly). But hating on Ed because he created it is somewhat petty. He didn't make Drizz't clones or have your DM save your party with Elminster, or publish dozens of novels and sourcebooks in a single year.

Yeah, someone can not like his writing. But don't call him a liar because you don't like his prose.
While I can't stand the man's books, he seems very nice and approachable. A genuinely decent guy... albeit pervy. (My wife and him would get alone fine: she has an equally dirty mind.)

Remove ads

Remove ads