• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The New Dune movie *holly &^%$ this could be good or bad*

William drake

First Post
All I can say is, as a fan. A true fan. I'm scared. The first movie was good, different, but many fans liked it for what it was. *No weridingmoduels*. The Scifi series, was ok....(why the big flowing Samuria pants, I'll never know.) But thes books are so long, deep and their plots expand over volumes of books that I'm not sure it can be done in a single movie. A series..LOTRS yes, but then who would you get to dedicated their life to making the first three movies to explain the story of Paul and his Son *Could continue to the end of Franks orig works but they weren't as popular or as well read as the first three.* I don't know. I have my doubts. Plz...if your giong to do this, take the time and money to do it right. If the man you want, who would love to do the movie but isn't able to at this time...and he's the best for the job( include actors or w/e into this) then don't go for a second best. Things like that make movies fail. LOTRS took the time to get all the right people: directors, actors, writers, costume an makeup people and so on to do it right. Look at their sucess. Follow it. Plz. Thank you.

Your thoughts about the new Dune movie. I would like to see a series I II III and even more. What do you think? And who would you get to play the characters?

Darkwolf71

First Post
Hmmm, interesting. Have any links?

I liked both previous versions. Each has it's strong and weak points, but as you said, to get it 'right' is a nigh impossible task. In other words, not sure that we need a new version, but I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Steel_Wind

Legend
The recent miniseries was well done. The prior movie, some baroque set direction and Francesca Annis aside, was absolutely dreadful.

Dune does not need a movie treatment. It needs a miniseries treatment and that is exactly what it got - and fairly well done I thought. That series does not need revisiting at this stage.

This is a film project that should not be made. I hope it is not green lit. There are many other SF or Fantasy films more worthy of making than another Dune.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Darkwolf71 said:
I liked both previous versions. Each has it's strong and weak points,

I've only seen the film, but I thought it was irredeemably horrible, riding roughshod over many of the most important facets of the book...

So out of interest, what did you think were strong points in that film?

Phoenix8008

First Post
Well, I can say that I liked the first film honestly. Of course, that was my first exposure to Dune as I had not yet read the books at that time. So I still have a soft spot for it because I can slip back into not remembering the details of the books and just enjoying it for what it is. I also enjoyed the Sci-Fi series treatment of Dune. It was more true to the books since they had more time to devote to it and spread things out some.

As for a new movie, it will just run into the same problems any movie does when it tries to cover a subject so vast and deep. Not enough time to do it justice.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Phoenix8008 said:
Well, I can say that I liked the first film honestly. Of course, that was my first exposure to Dune as I had not yet read the books at that time.

I could certainly see how that could be the case.

Mallus

Legend
Plane Sailing said:
So out of interest, what did you think were strong points in that film?
1) Much of it is beautiful to look it. A few months ago I found the theatrical release of Lynch's Dune in hi-def on demand and I was shocked at how lovely many of sets, shots, and compositions still looked. Except, of course, for the battle sequences.

2) There are some good, strange, and good & strange performances.

3) The film does an admirable job doing the impossible; compressing Herbert's convoluted, Machiavellian story of feudal-future Messianic intrigue in an incredibly detailed universe into a feature-length film, and it does so in a very interesting way; through baroque visuals courtesy of Lynch. In a way, the look of the film makes a lot of voice-over redundant. We learn more about the setting from the sets than we do from the narration.

4) While some of it undeniable ponderous and silly, frequently at the same time, the film is also peppered with some truly remarkable scenes that have stayed with me for 20+ years.

5) It's got a wacky integrity about it (even though Lynch didn't receive final cut) that's rarely found in big-budget SF films --though this is as much a bug as a feature. It really is like no other major SF movie; the most like a post-card from a slightly incomprehensible future world.

How's that?

William drake

First Post
Thanks for the posts.

Now, I agree. The moive doesn't have to be remade. But I do think revisiting it on such a scale would put a fire back into the field so that up`n coming authors works would have greater light shined upon them.

The only question: who could do it, and what actors would make the cut?

Remove ads