• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The new Magic:The Gathering cardface is hideous

Fishbone

First Post
I saw the previews for the Future Sight cards and it bummed me out for the whole day.
The new card, Seht's Tiger, is a radical departure from the old look. The old look was deliberately outdated, arcane, eldritch, you know?
The mana symbols are sliding down the left instead of the right, the whole card is completely bright and the card back is white. Its not black boardered and the entire framing of the card is off. It drives me crazy. MTG was one of the best looking card games going and now it looks boarderline Pokemon. What gives?

Last edited:

Wystan

Explorer
You do know that it is a one expansion change to give them a different "FUTURE" look?

They will be keeping the semi-new crappy face.

frankthedm

First Post
Fishbone said:
It used to look all eldritch, musty, faded out and magical....
I'll agree with this sentiment. Though you might want to EDIT you post not to directly insult folks. EnWorld really frowns on that.

cm67_635.jpg
Card19697.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Henry

Autoexreginated
All that said, I kinda blanch when I see that, myself. :) I gave up Magic a while back, but this new look does nothing to make me want to come back, for sure....

Fishbone

First Post
Okay, sorry, I forget where I am sometimes.
And believe me, I did try to keep it toned down. To me it seems that the highest value cards, the rares, are the ugliest ones of them all. Its a bastardization of the entire game to me.
Artifacts from brown to silver bugged me too but this is just absurd.
Like I said in the first post I'm still addicted to cardboard crack and won't be going into rehab anytime soon but this is really getting me down.
Not to mention the total lameness of the new green Magus. Eladamri's Vineyard on a 1/1 and I only have to pay 3 dollars for it or lose out on a chance of getting a rare that I'll actually use? Oh Joy!

Arkhandus

First Post
Yeah, I hate the newer MTG card faces. I prefer the classic look; the newer ones (started in Mirrodin, though as I understand it, it changed a bit after that too because Mirrodin was all about stuff being metallic and artifactish) are harder to read and recognize sometimes, and I really liked the old look of the gold-outline (multicolor) cards. Their return in Ravnica sucked with the wierd look of the cardface. While I kinda like the future-ish look of the card frank posted, it's still really not MTGish, it's more like Microsoft: The Gathering XP. :uhoh: :\

Jesus_marley

First Post
I never liked Magic: The X listing. from the way the cards looked, to the game mechanics themselves, even the attitudes of those that did play, there was nothing about it that appealed to me.

Asmo

First Post
I´ve been playing since spring -95, mostly as a "check out the new cards" player, and as long M:tg continues to release fantastic sets like Ravnica:city of Guilds I really don´t care if they try something new once in a while.
At first I was sceptical when they changed the look when they released Mirrodin, but today I love the "new" layout (I don´t like the look of artefacts,though) and the art is getting better with each set.
The new cards in "Future Sight"? Well, it´s something new and I like it - it´s a huge difference to see the cards on the net, then actually holding them and play with them, so I just have to wait and see.
But Spellweaver Volute seems really cool - enchant instant card in a graveyard, what the..? :)

Asmo

Abisashi

First Post
Future-shifted cards are easier to fan out in your hand and read both the name and the casting cost.

I like the current frames fine, but I don't really care what the frames what look like.

Remove ads