• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The New Polyhedron Magazine

thundershot

Adventurer
In any case, it seems I wasn't too far off on my EN WORLD POLYHEDRON thought... since we'll apparently be getting minigames and more modern support in the new EN WORLD mag.

As soon as it appears, I'm there. Hopefully I'll get a chance to submit something this time.

Chris

TeaBee

First Post
Call my a cynic, but I doubt EN World will licence Star Wars, Call of Cthulu, or any other Wizards properties. I think that's what many fans of Poly would like to see in a new mag, with the creative people who worked on it as well.

d20 mini games having nothing to do with anything printed in Paizo's magazine would still be... nice. I guess.

thundershot

Adventurer
Yes, it's unlikely that ENW will be able to do anything like that, but they CAN do mini-games, d20 modern support, gaming articles for other companies, and support material for other companies. d20 future is also coming around the bend, and it's supposed to go into the SRD as well, so we'll have that to work with too.

I personally can't wait.

Chris

Ranger REG

Explorer
TeaBee said:
Call my a cynic, but I doubt EN World will licence Star Wars, Call of Cthulu, or any other Wizards properties. I think that's what many fans of Poly would like to see in a new mag, with the creative people who worked on it as well.
You're not a cynic, you're business-savvy. The current circulation for EN World magazine is small but growing, like the early days of Dragon. Once readership goes up, and profits pour in then they can risk acquiring periodical licensing, assuming they're available.

I'm sure Morrus would be more open to get former Wizards and TSR employees to submit articles, even mini-games, for his magazine. I'm sure they're reading this now.

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
Ranger REG said:
I'd be very interested in what your magazine's new format will be (features, columns). I do wish you would allow WotC designers (current and former) as well as aspiring designers to submit mini-games to support d20 and d20 Modern.

IIRC, there was never anything stopping from anyone submitting mini-games to the EN mag. So long as they didn't mind only getting paid $30 for an article...
Dunno what the current payscale is, but I doubt we could compete with Paizo!

Agamon

Adventurer
I wouldn't mind seeing the old Poly back. And by the old Poly, I mean the RPGA mouthpiece, not the d20 minigame mag with the Poly name slapped on front. Yeah, it had an RPGA article in it, but really...

Of course, dropping the mag made it possible to have RPGA membership free, so maybe it all turned out well in the end anyway.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Agamon said:
Of course, dropping the mag made it possible to have RPGA membership free, so maybe it all turned out well in the end anyway.
Free or not, RPGA do not interest me. I don't participate sanctioned tournaments.

That's why I like Poly's new commercial format, being supportive of d20, that includes support for d20 Modern and Star Wars. Now that is gone, I want to be optimistic that EN World's magazine can succeed without supporting D&D.

Last edited:

marketingman

Explorer
It is the matter of finding the niche with the product that can be redeveloped into a profitable line. It may be interesting to see what will come about, Last time something with this strong a brand ID came open was when TSR went under. And WOTC was there with buckets of money.

Morrus said:
If only.

But still, doesn't mean the mag can't be a lot like Poly was....

Obviously, it's none of my business, and I was a fan of the mini-game concept as much or more than many, but... why would you want to pattern a magazine after a failed magazine? From a purely business point of view, that seems a bad idea. Particularly since it's so hard to make a go of a magazine in the first place, particularly a game magazine.

marketingman

Explorer
Well because gamers are protective of what they enjoy. They then wonder why something that brought them enjoyment is not profitable for a business.. So they would like some one to subsidize their enjoyment and validate their hobby.
After all a company does not have to be profitable to stay in business. It just has to work on moving toward profitabliy. ie Amazon.com, Hasbro, Utah Clay and gravel.

Remove ads