• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The New Red-Box...

Lord Xtheth

First Post
It might just be me, but I'm more excited about the dungeon tiles master sets in the same post. I can't wait for those (having skipped most DT sets in my 3.x days, I need to tile-up or shut-up :p )

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
I don't want to be negative, especially because this looks great, but I wonder if it isn't nostalgia at work. Thoughts?

We appear to be at a peak point for 80s nostalgia right now, so it may very well be a wise marketing move to produce something that will remind parents of the game they played and either try it out again and/or get them to introduce their children.

Lhorgrim

Explorer
It might just be me, but I'm more excited about the dungeon tiles master sets in the same post. I can't wait for those (having skipped most DT sets in my 3.x days, I need to tile-up or shut-up :p )

Once again that seems to be part of the article I can't see.

Tell me more of these Dungeon Tiles Master sets. I don't have any original because the ones I wanted, once I found out about them, were already out of print.

Scribble

First Post

I'm jonezin for Gamma World! :D

It's out in october? Just in time for my Birthday! :D

Deverash

First Post
Once again that seems to be part of the article I can't see.

Tell me more of these Dungeon Tiles Master sets. I don't have any original because the ones I wanted, once I found out about them, were already out of print.

Basically, they're a set of Dungeon Tiles that have the basic pieces you always need, usually in quantity. And they won't be going out of print like the other sets to.

Lhorgrim

Explorer
Basically, they're a set of Dungeon Tiles that have the basic pieces you always need, usually in quantity. And they won't be going out of print like the other sets to.

Thanks.

That sounds like another product I'll be buying.

Did they have a release date for the DT Master sets?

Jack99

Adventurer
I think this is a great looking product, with a fun nod to nostalgia, but I wonder who's the target market. Just about anyone who would get the reference to the old product is already aware of 4E, and either plays it or has rejected it in favor of another system. For a newbie, I wonder if this is the best way to present the material at the moment. Is this really a product that will be attractive to your market of new gamers?

I don't want to be negative, especially because this looks great, but I wonder if it isn't nostalgia at work. Thoughts?

Well, according to the powers that be, the stores have provided feedback that they need such a product, because they apparently have trouble telling new players which books they should buy, as in, there are probably too many at entry level. I mean, I can understand why some kid might be overwhelmed if he is told to buy 3-6 books at $40 and that he has to read like 1500+ pages just to get started on this game.

Aside from that, I will definitely follow it closely myself, because I have been looking for an easier way to introduce 4e to young kids. I considered making my own simplified version, but I would prefer something that I can buy and play right out of the box (!).

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Seems strange that they don't want to advertise things like that publicly, and at the moment are busy hiding it behind their subscription only service.

Well, I can think of some reasons why they might want to do that, but so much is now tied up in their subscription model that I never bother going to the wizards site any more - and don't even bother to follow links to it since, as in this case, I don't get to see anything.

Hmmm

ggroy

First Post
I'm still wondering how this is going to be marketed. If the goal is to get it in the hands of brand new gamers, they need to put it in places OTHER than gaming stores.

Wonder if they have some other marketing plan, such as TV commercials on Nickelodeon or the Cartoon Network. Better yet, a new D&D cartoon? :cool:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads