• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The New Red-Box...

Jack99

Adventurer
Seems strange that they don't want to advertise things like that publicly, and at the moment are busy hiding it behind their subscription only service.

Well, I can think of some reasons why they might want to do that, but so much is now tied up in their subscription model that I never bother going to the wizards site any more - and don't even bother to follow links to it since, as in this case, I don't get to see anything.

Hmmm

If you are referring to my comment about the stores, then I believe it was said at the DDXP, when they announced the Red Box. I could be wrong though.

Flobby

Explorer
I wonder why they just didn't start out with a box set like this with 4E - seeing that they said one of their goals was to attract new players...

Rechan

Adventurer
Do kids today watch Nick/Cartoon Network/TV?

Aside from that, I will definitely follow it closely myself, because I have been looking for an easier way to introduce 4e to young kids. I considered making my own simplified version, but I would prefer something that I can buy and play right out of the box (!).
As an aside. ChattyDM has been in talks with WotC about "RPGs with Kids", since he does a lot of gaming with his kid(s).

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
If you are referring to my comment about the stores, then I believe it was said at the DDXP, when they announced the Red Box. I could be wrong though.

Sorry if it was confusing, I was mostly commenting on the fact that I clicked the link in the first post and couldn't see anything because it was behind the paywall.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I like it. I think one of the greatest needs D&D has right now is to put to rest the "niche" opinion about the game, and the associated low attitudes of the majority of the public regarding the people who play it. I think that a convenient beginner's set, readily available at many convenient locations, would go a long way toward putting that opinion to rest, through making the game more "mainstream" (again -- as in the 1980's?).

With that said, I want to add that I would have preferred to see the new Red Box set go from Level 1 to Level 5; but I'm greedy that way. . . .
(Heck, even the free version of the Character Builder goes up to Level 3; did limiting the new Red Box to Levels 1 & 2 save that much paper and ink?)

Quickleaf

Legend
If I recall correctly, boxed sets weren't exactly cash cows for TSR - something about their production costs or the small printing runs? Now WFRP, Dragon Age, and D&D are all doing boxed sets. What changed?

Wik

First Post
Man. This looks awesome. I'm particularly excited about the idea of a much more streamlined starter game. Could be a good foundation to build off.

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
I'm not trying to start anything with this post so please dont take it the wrong way. But for some reason after reading the WoTC page on this product, I got the sense that this is the end of the 4e line itself... Did anyone else get this feeling as well?

Pseudopsyche

First Post
I'm not trying to start anything with this post so please dont take it the wrong way. But for some reason after reading the WoTC page on this product, I got the sense that this is the end of the 4e line itself... Did anyone else get this feeling as well?
No, I just got the impression that they were dedicated much of their attention this year to the Essentials line, planning to resume non-Essentials production afterwards. Honestly, I'm glad their attempt to broaden the player base won't be half-hearted. Assuming the Dungeon and Dragon magazines are unaffected, they'll still be releasing plenty of non-Essentials content anyway.
Bill Slavicsek said:
Yes, our focus for the end of 2010 is on setting up the Essentials line. But right after that, our new frontlist plan begins to roll out, providing expanded game options and materials for all players. I’ll talk a bit more about how that’s going to work next month.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads