D&D 5E The New World [Volo Monsters]

ammulder

Explorer
Oh ho.
Maybe a BARD. College of Whispers from the new UA!
Definite potential here.
Also check this thread out:
Has some build ideas from before Volo's. Some of the writeups are perhaps better balanced for a 1st level party.

I'd like to avoid UA and rules outside of PHB/SCAG/Volo's. Part of the point is to take the Volo rules for a spin, so I don't want to mix in a bunch of alternatives.

But fear not, first level will pass quickly. One way or another. :)

TallIan

Explorer

You're the first to speak for Goblin.
Yay, I've wanted to pay a goblin Adept for ages (I think the Adept was an NPC level progression in 3.x or possibly 2e) but then I keep straying into a poisoning archer.

I'll have to see what I can come up with.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ammulder

Explorer
I'll just put out there: I'm fine with people playing builds that are more fun that optimized, and I'm fine if there ends up being overlap (all casters or all monks or whatever).

I mean -- it's freaking MONSTERS -- let's have fun with it! I won't mess you up just because you left the gate with 2 fewer DPR or without some "critical" role filled.

So yeah, don't overlook the Orc Mage or Goblin Berserker. :)

Shayuri

First Post
No College of Whispers is fine. There's plenty of options out there.

Those UA options are thematically strong, but mechanically fairly weak, so it's all good.

tglassy

Adventurer
Yeah, i'm almost certain to take some sort of magic user for my Orc. I read up on it, and it doesn't say much about magic from the Orc culture, just that some become necromancers and stay on the fringes of society, taking care of the dead, and I'm not really looking that direction. And it says nothing about what happens if one becomes a sorcerer.

Warlock just doesn't fit my concept, and I've played wizards before.

So I'm thinking this Orc will be a Storm Sorcerer, and one of the Young and Stupid. He's always been looked down upon, and shoved out of the way at meal time because he 'cheats' with magic. Ever since his magic manifested, the other Orcs see his value in battle, but at the same time despise him for it. He has still been trained as a warrior, like all Orcs, but he often uses his power to supplement his attacks. Also, because he's a Storm Sorcerer, he likes being outside more then most Orcs, especially during Storms.

I've got a backstory for him already. I'll put it in the Roster if/when that comes up.

When word got out about this new team of 'heroes', he jumped at the chance, and the other Orcs were more than happy to let him go, due to his oddities. He wants to prove that his power makes him better, not worse, than the other Orcs.

Question, can I have the Gust and/or Shape Water cantrip from the Elemental Evil's Player's Handbook? Or can we not use that? They just fit thematically with my character, and I must admit Shape Water is one of my favorite cantrips...

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Looks like there's room for a bugbear in this company... Mind if I join?

I'll be getting Volo's by the end of the week, although I've already found the stats. I'm just trying to decide whether to go rogue (classic bugbear) or druid.

ammulder

Explorer
Crap, can a Bugbear druid Wild Shape into, like, a Halfling? :)

Anyway, yes, you're welcome to propose a character. If you get a chance, you should read the Bugbear text from the book. For instance, they mostly live in groups or gangs, rather than being solitary. So you background should address that somehow.

TallIan

Explorer
So after perusing the various rulebooks in more detail (and the fact that I can't make a rogue/cleric) I'm starting to settle on a ranger for my goblin.

None of the pure spellcasters seem right and the other fighter options all have to much of a hero vibe to them. Not that rangers don't, but I find it easier to envisage a wimpy ranger.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Creamsteak

Explorer
So two things, first the rules question, then the concept.

So kobold druid, I am considering this but I kinda need to know how you would interpret this part of the druid:

You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can't use any of your Special senses, such as Darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense.

Would that negate sunlight sensitivity if you became some normal light-dwelling creature?

Second part, concept that came to mind when I considered this option, a kobold druid who thinks he is a barbarian:

Moon Moon is an outcast kobold from a cowardly Bluewax tribe. The Bluewax seeks to survive the coming storm by digging deeper and hiding further from the surface. His tribe has the odd habit of keeping candles in the darkness, not so much as a source of vision, but because the Bluewax claim that if a kobold's candle goes out, or if they lack a candle altogether, "the darkness" will "eat them". They fear that when the last candle burns out, the apocalypse will be upon them.

Moon Moon is a kobold who lost his candle and was "devoured by the darkness" in mind and body. He eventually scurried into a tunnel leading to the surface, one looking up at a large full moon in the sky. From that day forward, Moon Moon has called the moon his own personal candle that will never go out.

When Moon Moon returned to his tribe, The Candle King was outraged that a kobold could return alive after his candle went out. He declared Moon Moon a heretic, an outcast to be shamed by all kobolds. Being treated like an outcast changed Moon Moon, and he believed everything that his tribe would say. They called him wild, feral, a barbarian. They shamed him for his uncontrolled rage and blamed him for all manner of theft, accidents, and illness. He begged and pleaded and apologized constantly for all his many sins, but none would listen. As supplies dwindled, whether food, potable water, or wax... Moon Moon was blamed.

When messengers arrived to attempt to coerce the Bluewax into sending an emissary to an alliance of sorts, The Candle King called this intrusion the greatest of Moon Moon's follies. Clearly Moon Moon had brought the outsiders here, and only sending Moon Moon away with them would restore the Great Candle to it's former glory. Moon Moon was cast out as an offering to the outsiders, so that the Bluewax could once again vanish into the mountains never to be heard from again. Yet, The Candle King also pulled Moon Moon aside one last time before he was banished. "The wax trickles away. The great candle shrinks. There will be little wax to give the children. The darkness comes for us. We must have more wax!"

Moon Moon stared, bug-eyed at The Candle King one last time in confused silence. He pointed one crooked finger towards his great candle in the sky. Moon Moon said his last words he thought he would ever have with his tribe that night. "You no take candle!"

Last edited:

Remove ads