The Northern Reaches, Act I

DM_Trav

First Post

Man...rolling up a new character and not being able to cheat seems risky.
Let's as a group search this tower, everything top to bottom.
Isn't there other rooms or levels, to the stone candle,we haven't been yet?
OOC: If you don't like your rolls, you can use the elite array: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, and 10. Adjust them however you want; one score goes up 1 point for every 2 points that another goes down, yadda yadda.

For group searches, I will use the roll for the character with the highest search bonus (Lars in this case, with his +11 bonus) but give a +2 bonus for you guys helping him out. The total search check result is 15.

And yes, there is the storeroom that you didn't search, and the room with the locked door downstairs that you can't open.

Anyway...back to the story.

The room appears to have once been the living quarters of the lighthouse keeper, but has been abandoned for quite some time. The roof sags in places, and the plaster is discolored from water damage, torch soot, and mold.

Atop one of the warped and rotting wooden rafters, you find a small iron box about the size of a snuff container. From the looks of it, it had not been discovered by the lighthouse's new occupants, and has probably sat there, undisturbed, for many years. Prying the box loose from the rust and grime, you are delighted to hear the chime of metal coins inside.

[SBLOCK="Iron Box"]43 gold coins
a golden phoenix cloak pin
a small chalcedony gem[/SBLOCK]
A nearby table contains an array of organized and carefully-labeled bottles. Among them, you find 11 vials of acid, 3 vials of antitoxin, and 4 vials of holy water.

Satisfied with your discovery, you set about with the grim task of searching the bodies of your slain enemies. The fallen wizard was dressed in a very well-made (masterwork) suit of studded leather armor, and carried a finely-crafted (masterwork) silver dagger in his belt. The goblins are all outfitted with the same gear as the others you have encountered (small-sized leather armor, shields, morningstars, and javelins, all of rudimentary quality.)

"We've got company," Loki remarks, with a nod toward the door. Nessedrik, the goblin alchemist who sneaked you into the lighthouse, is standing at the door with a cunning (and expectant) expression on his face.

"I see you found my stick," he says, with a clipping, gruff accent.

Last edited:

Lars_Lundgren

First Post
OOC: I'd be very interested in that masterwork studded leather armor..

OOC: Someone with higher charisma than me should question him about the stick and ask why it is so important to him. I'd appreciate it if we could negotiate a couple of bottles of poison out of him before handing over the stick.

OOC: Travis - a couple points of clarification. 1) Could you describe the stick again? There seems to be some confusion as it it being a staff or a spear? 2) So it seems like we searched the room on the second floor next to the room with the wizard (lighthouse keepers room). I assume that means that we have still not searched the storage room?

DM_Trav

First Post
OOC: Travis - a couple points of clarification. 1) Could you describe the stick again? There seems to be some confusion as it it being a staff or a spear? 2) So it seems like we searched the room on the second floor next to the room with the wizard (lighthouse keepers room). I assume that means that we have still not searched the storage room?
GM: 1. The thing that Nessedrik calls "his stick" is a masterwork shortspear, made from a mithral spearhead attached to a darkwood shaft. The last time Odd cast a detect magic spell, he noted that it detected faintly of Transmutation magic.

2. The lighthouse keeper's room is actually on the third floor, but other than that, you are correct...you have visited every room of the lighthouse. I know you guys wanted to search the storeroom on your way out; we will do that after you finish dealing with Nessedrik.

Last edited:

Odd_Stallard

First Post
Odd would like to ask the following questions to Nessedrik.

1. Who was the old man we just killed and took this "stick from", and why are the goblins working with/for him?
2. What can Nessedrik tell us about the ring and other items we also obtained from the old man?
3. What is so important or special about this "stick"
4. Who does Nessedrik work for and why did he betray the group at the light house?
5. What are the flasks he carries along his vest and would he bo open to trading or bartering with us?

My charisma is 13 and I do speak Goblin.

Remove ads