The Orr Group's Q2 Usage Data Also Puts D&D 5E In The Lead

It's a day of data! Hot on the heels of Fantasy Grounds supplying its usage data for the first half of 2015, The Orr Group has released its own Quarter 2 figures for its Roll20 platform! It, too, puts D&D 5E in the lead for the second quarter running at 27% of games (36% of players), with Pathfinder following up at 20% of games but, interestingly, 39% of players. I don't know if that means Pathfinder games have larger groups on average. I love charts.

It's a day of data! Hot on the heels of Fantasy Grounds supplying its usage data for the first half of 2015, The Orr Group has released its own Quarter 2 figures for its Roll20 platform! It, too, puts D&D 5E in the lead for the second quarter running at 27% of games (36% of players), with Pathfinder following up at 20% of games but, interestingly, 39% of players. I don't know if that means Pathfinder games have larger groups on average. I love charts.

The Orr Group makes the popular ENnie-winning Roll20 virtual tabletop application.

Below I've posted the short version, and the long version (the long version is long!) Also, attached here is an xls file (a spreadsheet) containing the raw data for those interested.

The Short Version
orr1.png

The Long Version
orr2.png

Grainger

Explorer
Pedantic point, but the Orr group have got their D&D wrong. BECMI is not original D&D; the latter is a separate, earlier, game. AD&D and BECMI are both sequels to original D&D. The nomenclature is very confusing (as is the fact that TSR had two different flavours of D&D in production for many years) though, so it's understandable.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
absolutely no surprise here. 5e is (for a DM) the dream edition, the one edition Im strongly considering running through a virtual platform like Roll20.

TRDG

Explorer
One has to remember there are a lot of one shot games going on over there as well as Society, League, modules, Campaigns and Home brew groups or a lot of games besides the big 2, PF and D&D.

I run board Games over there as well, yes lots of time but well worth it in the end I think

Pathfinder is my main game I GM and as a player, D&D 5th Ed runs second, then various Board and War games as well

So far over there

PF

*Kingmaker (ongoing right now, middle of Module 2/ 6 Players every Sunday)
Rise of the Runelords Campaign
The Dragon's Demand Module
Crypt of the Everflame Module
Rise of the Runelords Card Game
Skull & Shackles Card Game
Wrath of the Righteous Card Game
*Thinking of PF Society League play but no real time yet to set up......yet anyways :)

D&D

Lost Mine of Phandelver
Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game (ongoing every Monday evenings)
Dungeon Command (some Mondays)

Other games

Flames of War / WW II miniature game (most Mondays)
White Star Rising / WWII Board Game
Axis & Allies War at Sea Board Game
Weird War II
Battlefleet Gothic
Song of Blades and Heroes

GM/DMed these and played more than my fair share as well.

The last 2 quarters there is a big uptick in D&D 5th ed, just chec the community looking for group forum and that gives one a very good indication of what is being played currently. Pathfnder was quite dominant since I have been there the last years but now a lot more interest and games for D&D 5th ed currently going on, needless to say

Cheers

Tom

TRDG

Explorer
Indeed, but they were not as heavily pushed (played/DM'ed) as 5th Ed is in the last 2 quarters over on Roll20, specifically in the "Looking for Group" search listing of specific types of games going on and looking for Players and DM's. Most of the older versions were regular steady (low player/DM turnover rates,if any) groups who have played for years and now has switched to online play so many don't need to look and advertise for players and or DM's at all, as in no community or Group threads and listings.

And even more so in the Community forum, which in the past the first (most current) page of player and GM/DM's are posting threads were well over 1/2 games of Pathfinder, some D&D 5th Ed and older versions and a few other games. Now it is quite reversed these days as PF is not quite posted about (looking for/Players/GM's) so much.

Keeping in mind these are NEW games starting up, or groups looking for replacement players in an ongoing game already started.

Very curious to see any other online tabletops systems (Maptool?/saw the Fantasy Ground numbers see to indicate the same for them) are seeing the same, but Roll20 is getting bigger and bigger every day, as there are a few others out there...

Cheers:)

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

NolanTJ

First Post
I find it interesting that there are more games then players. That means that either Players tend to play in many different Games or they are including "dead" games (no longer active or where just tests).

Roll20 Developer here... this should help clear up some questions:

• “Games” = % of games where the Game Master has optionally selected for a campaign within Roll20 from a drop down list as “Playing.” To be counted within the Industry Report for a given quarter, that campaign must be accessed (meaning unused campaigns are not shown). Most Game Masters only select one rule type for the game they are playing.
  • “Players” = % of players who were active in the quarter and filled in the “Enjoys Playing” and/or “Seeks a Group For” in their personal profile. Like the Games sample, a profile is only counted in the Industry Report if they show as active by entering a campaign during the quarter. Unlike the Games sample, most players identify themselves as being interested in a great many games.

This is very much a sampling, in that many folks don't fill out this information.

TheSwartz

Explorer
I find it interesting that there are more games then players. That means that either Players tend to play in many different Games or they are including "dead" games (no longer active or where just tests).

If I understand what's going on here, I actually do this all the time. I run a Roll20 session just to use the built in webcams and then run my actual game within Fantasy Grounds

Remove ads

Remove ads