The Orville Season Two - Thoughts?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There will always be the whiff of scatology about him.

I’m just waiting for the scene in which someone lets one loose in a shuttle or other confined space. Given the direction Warburton’s character has trundled down, can that be far behind?

Ryujin

Legend
They fooled me - I did not recognize the returning actress (understandably). The final gesture (letting Teleya go) was predictable, but how they got to that point was very good.

Gordon was quite in character. Humor should emerge from the natural behavior of the characters, and this is an instance. OTOH, I will not be sorry to see Warburtun's character leave. He was an example of forcing humor to happen.

The story started to be predictable once the Krill ship showed up. It's a well-traveled path, but I agree that they did it well.

I agree on Warburton's character. A bit of waste of someone like him too.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I prefer it when they lay off the jokes and just pretend to be Star Trek. When it gets into the fart jokes and the like it takes me out of it.

I'm glad they toned it down. As I've said, my mom watches the show. It would be much easier to watch when I visit if it wasn't so crude. During the first season I had a number of cringe moments.

I think this episode was an excellent homage to the trope of trapped with your enemy. It was telegraphed when the Krill showed up, but still fun to watch.

RC Hagy

Explorer
Had to read a second time. Oh, boy so appropriate.

I work for a winery in Central Pennsylvania. We went to 2 letter codes on the wine cases.

I have to constantly remind everyone that no one wants to see a case of wine labled with: ED, BM, MS or VD.

My job is neverending.

R

I think everyone hates STDs.

*whiper*

What?

*whiper*

Oh, nevermind!
tenor.gif

RC Hagy

Explorer
If there's been a theme so far it has been to stick it to those disliking it - talk about doubling down on social progressiveness and maudlin sentimentality.

(Before you jump to the conclusion I'm one of those, keep in mind I'm still watching)

A maudlin progressive?

Richards

Legend
I liked how the Krill shuttles vented plasma to find the cloaked ship - kind of like glitterdust against an invisibility spell - but it immediately made me wonder how they knew to do so, and it made me suspect the dark matter cartographer right away. So the reveal was kind of ruined for me - when a female Krill walked into view, I immediately suspected it was the same person even though I definitely did not recognize the actress under the prosthetics.

I wasn't much of a fan of the "orc" aliens, though - they looked way too primitive to be flying around in spaceships and shooting lasers.

Still, it was a good episode. (And when Ed and his girlfriend were kissing in his quarters, I half expected to see a shuttle through the window with Commander Grayson piloting.) I also thought the "fake command codes" set-up was brilliant.

Johnathan

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
But he spilled the beans on the fact that they were decoy codes, ruining the tactics for future captives. That’s problematic.

I mean, I realize he’s tying to build a rapport- something his pilot failed at hilariously in simulation- as an opening for test NOW and possible future diplomatic overtures. But unless he suspected she was wise to the procedure- and he may well have- he got little in return for something that addects his entire organization.

OTOH, they may be setting up a reveal that The King and I and a Billy Joel mixtape can bring peace...

Is a puzzlement!
[video=youtube;9u5iHzag120]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u5iHzag120[/video]

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
The decoy codes was about the only plausible thing here.

The rest was a true throwback to everything stilted and unconvincing about "classic" Star Trek. (For everyone's sanity, I shall refrain from listing all the headache-inducing points)

It makes me realize my dream isn't just "another Next Generation". I actually only want the best 20% episodes.

Remove ads