• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Paragnostic Apostle Lore ability--clarification

Pazu

First Post
The Paragnostic Apostle prestige class (Complete Champion p. 94) gains the following ability:

Lore (Ex): You can recall legends or information regarding various topics, just as a bard can with bardic knowledge. To use this ability, make a lore check (1d20 + twice your paragnostic apostle level + your Int modifier). Success grants you the same result as a bardic knowledge check would. If you have the bardic knowledge or lore ability from another class, your levels in those classes stack with your paragnostic apostle levels for the purpose of this check.

Bolding mine above.

So, just to be clear, is the modifier:

[(PA level + other class level) x 2] + Int modifier, or

(PA level x 2) + other class level + Int modifier?

Strict interpretation of the wording would favor the first option, which would lead potentially to (for instance) a bard15/PA5 having a base (15+5) x 2 = 40 + Int modifier lore check. High, but I suppose it's not necessarily gamebreaking for a 20th level character.

Thoughts?

Vorput

First Post
I'm relativly sure it's meant to be the second one... but I don't really have anything to back that up.

Paragnostic Apostle could be the coolest sounding prestige class ever though.

Pazu said:
So, just to be clear, is the modifier:

[(PA level + other class level) x 2] + Int modifier, or

(PA level x 2) + other class level + Int modifier?

Wow. It never even occurred to me that people would think I meant option 1. :heh:

Option 2, absolutely. The multiplier applies only to the PA class level.

Pazu

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Wow. It never even occurred to me that people would think I meant option 1. :heh:

Hey, be fair. I don't think that option 1 is that outlandish an interpretation of what's written. ;)

Option 2, absolutely. The multiplier applies only to the PA class level.

Yeah, I figured option 2 was what was intended. :p

The Paragnostic Apostle does rock, regardless.

The Souljourner

First Post
By the way it's written, it's #1.

For the purposes of the check, your bard levels stack with your PA levels. The check is PA levels x 2 + int. If you're a bard 15, PA 5, your PA level for the purpose of that check is 20.

PA_Effective = PA_Levels + Bard_Levels
Check = PA_Effective x 2 + int
Check = (PA_Levels + Bard_Levels) x 2 + Int.

Is that what they meant? I dunno. Is it balanced? Meh. Bard Knowledge is SO DM-dependent that I don't really think it can be *un* balanced.

-Nate

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads