• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The popularity of monsters - part III

Which of the following have you used or encountered?

• Red Dragon

Votes: 125 75.3%
  • White Dragon

Votes: 106 63.9%
  • Blue Dragon

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Green Dragon

Votes: 109 65.7%
  • Black Dragon

Votes: 120 72.3%
  • Brass Dragon

Votes: 44 26.5%
  • Copper Dragon

Votes: 40 24.1%
  • Gold Dragon

Votes: 83 50.0%
  • Silver Dragon

Votes: 84 50.6%
  • Bronze Dragon

Votes: 43 25.9%
  • Fire Elemental

Votes: 129 77.7%
  • Water Elemental

Votes: 104 62.7%
  • Earth Elemental

Votes: 123 74.1%
  • Air Elemental

• Clay Golem

Votes: 73 44.0%
  • Flesh Golem

Votes: 83 50.0%
  • Stone Golem

Votes: 101 60.8%
  • Iron Golem

Votes: 100 60.2%
  • Hydra (normal)

• Pyrohydra

Votes: 53 31.9%
  • Cryohydra

Votes: 36 21.7%

der_kluge

Adventurer
I thought it might be interesting to see if some dragons are more common than others. I'm also including elements in here, just to see if fire elementals get more play than others.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
I used a blue dragon in a 3rd edition game, I think it was 3rd highest age category in a game with a party at about level 3 or 4. It was a non combat encounter.

I have used a green dragon in a 2nd edition game.

I have also used Hydra's a number of times.

END COMMUNICATION

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
...I just realized how few of the dragons I've used. Of the classical chromatics, only red and black.

Fortunately for me, if not my players, the Age of Worms is dragon-packed...

Demiurge out.

der_kluge

Adventurer
demiurge1138 said:
...I just realized how few of the dragons I've used. Of the classical chromatics, only red and black.

Fortunately for me, if not my players, the Age of Worms is dragon-packed...

Demiurge out.

Same for me. I think white and red are the only ones that strongly stick out in my mind. D'oh! I just remembered that I used a green dragon, but forgot to vote for it.

I seem to vaguely recall interacting with a gold dragon a looong time ago. But I can't recall ever using or encountering any of the other good dragons. There's a green dragon, a white dragon, silver dragon(s) and a black dragon all slated for appearances in my current campaign.

Felix

Explorer
It's been Fire Elemental after Fire Elemental for me. Don't know why the other elements (or paraelements) don't get much play, but Fire is all over the place.

Matafuego

Explorer
Everything except Brass, Bronze and Copper.
Never quite understood those good dragons, silver, gold and even platinum i dig.
Actually i met a Bronze one once as a player, but as a dm... no no...
I love these threads, they make me think quite a lot about including new monsters.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Well I voted for most of the dragons, except blue (rarely use deserts). I had a world where "the only good dragon is one that doesn't want anything you have." Which had gold, copper, brass and bronze dragons, none of which could shapechange.

White dragons have been the most common. A simlacrum of an old (previously slain) white will show up in the next session or two.

I have also used emerald, magma and shadow dragons

Drowbane

First Post
Dragons: Of the 10 Dragon types, I've only used Red, Black, and White. I nolonger use Dragons as they are typically presented in the MM; that is they are nolonger color coded for your convenience. IMC, Nakuldacar the Black is a massive (read: great wyrm) dark scaled dragon who happens to have a frost breath, immunity to fire, and vulnerability to acid. :p

Elementals: I've used each of the four normal types as well as several of the pseudo and quasi types.

Golems: Used 'em all.

Hydras: yes.

Remove ads