• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The popularity of monsters - part III

Which of the following have you used or encountered?

• Red Dragon

Votes: 125 75.3%
  • White Dragon

Votes: 106 63.9%
  • Blue Dragon

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Green Dragon

Votes: 109 65.7%
  • Black Dragon

Votes: 120 72.3%
  • Brass Dragon

Votes: 44 26.5%
  • Copper Dragon

Votes: 40 24.1%
  • Gold Dragon

Votes: 83 50.0%
  • Silver Dragon

Votes: 84 50.6%
  • Bronze Dragon

Votes: 43 25.9%
  • Fire Elemental

Votes: 129 77.7%
  • Water Elemental

Votes: 104 62.7%
  • Earth Elemental

Votes: 123 74.1%
  • Air Elemental

• Clay Golem

Votes: 73 44.0%
  • Flesh Golem

Votes: 83 50.0%
  • Stone Golem

Votes: 101 60.8%
  • Iron Golem

Votes: 100 60.2%
  • Hydra (normal)

• Pyrohydra

Votes: 53 31.9%
  • Cryohydra

Votes: 36 21.7%

Been most of the dragons, all the elements and used a pyrohydra and a normal hydra before.

A lot of what have you used before polls going lately.....

the Jester

Legend
I think copper and brass dragons, as well as cryohydras, are the only "missing monsters" from my palette, and a loooong time ago (1e!) we fought one of those two, but I can't remember which.

Hussar

Legend
In 3e, I've never used a red dragon. Fortunately that will likely change very shortly. :] Just finished an encounter with a green and a bronze dragon, but, before using the WLD, I used I think one or two dragons max.

Hrm, I wanna use more dragons.

Robert Ranting

First Post
Dragons:
Red- encountered twice as a player.
Blue-as a DM, BBEG in a short campaign.
Green- encountered three times, (4 if you count the templated monstrosity in Shackled City) as a player.
Black- encountered as a player. As a DM, had them in the background, and many Half-Dragon minions/children.
Gold- as a DM. Used to represent a "fire dragon" in a non-D&D game.
Silver- encountered as a player. My best friend (who DMs relatively often) favors them.

Elementals:
Fire- Run as a DM, in the same room as the above Gold Dragon.
Earth- Run as a DM. An Elder Earth Elemental + Greater Abyssal Basilisk = one of my favorite encounters I've ever run.

Golems:
Clay- Run as a DM.
Flesh- Run as a DM.

Hydras:
Hydra (normal), Pyro, Cryo- encountered in the same cave system together in one game. We were not a happy group afterwards.

Robert "Just my Experience" Ranting

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
I have used a young half-fiendish silver dragon.

The PCs were pretty freaked out by that one. And they had a lively debate: "Should we kill it even if it doesn't attack us outright?"

Gold Roger

First Post
The only two dragons I've used so far where a noncombat encounter with a blue and a rust dragon (don't know age, was medium size though).

I've used all kinds of elementals except fire.

So far haven't used Hydra or Golems.

Sammael

Adventurer
I've used or seen used pretty much everything from that list except the two energy-based hydrae. I've used metallic dragons as NPCs, and I'm soon going to use one as an antagonist.

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
ah, the popular creatures :) strange, i found ive used more creatures from the other two lists than these ones :) the probloem for my group is we tend to play low-mid-level adventures and i dont like using dragions before theyre huge size

i have used.encountered: red, black, silver dragons (red and black as a player and silver as player and DM). I have used as a DM: styx, rust and tarterian dragons also

iver encountered most golems, elementals and hydras (very often too :eek:)

Remove ads