• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The popularity of monsters

Have you ever used or encounter these monsters?

• Achaierai

Votes: 37 14.3%
  • Allip

Votes: 106 40.9%
  • Animated objects

Votes: 165 63.7%
  • Aranea

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Athach

Votes: 59 22.8%
  • Delver

Votes: 27 10.4%
  • Destrachan

Votes: 77 29.7%
  • Devourer

Votes: 50 19.3%
  • Giant Squid

Votes: 79 30.5%
  • Girallon

Votes: 102 39.4%
  • Gorgon

Votes: 103 39.8%
  • Nightshade (any)

Votes: 83 32.0%
  • Phasm

Votes: 21 8.1%
  • Rast

Votes: 34 13.1%
  • Tarrasque

Votes: 50 19.3%
  • Thoqqua

Votes: 96 37.1%
  • Tojanida

Votes: 34 13.1%
  • Unicorn

Votes: 135 52.1%
  • Will o'wisp

Votes: 157 60.6%
  • Yrthak

Votes: 39 15.1%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 12 4.6%

Matafuego

Explorer
Allip - Yes, along with some Shadows in a dungeon controlled by an Sorcerer awaken shadow.

Animated objects - Several times! Love'em.

Aranea - There are a few in the next session. But sh!

Destrachan - Yes. They looked very silly at first though.

Gorgon - Encountered one and survived by miracle.

Rast - There are some of them in the next sessions.

Tarrasque - Yes. I´ve used them in 2e and in 3e with modified stats.

Unicorn - There's a whole forest of unicorns IMC. The players've met them many times.

Will o'wisp - Back in 2e. But yes.

Love these polls...

Drowbane

First Post
Achaierai: hahaha... no
Allip: no
Animated objects: yes
Aranea: no
Athach: no
Delver: no
Destrachan: no, but have the mini... :p
Devourer: no
Giant Squid: yes
Girallon: yes
Gorgon: yes
Nightshade: no
Phasm: no
Rast: no
Tarrasque: yes, in both 2e (threw them in Darksun... not Unique, but almost) and 3e.
Thoqqua: yes, lots. Mostly as summons.
Tojanida: no
Unicorn: yes, great Druid summon!
Will o'wisp: yes
Yrthak: no

The Edge

First Post
Im quite shocked at how few I've used. Gotta play more. :uhoh:

The most used monsters so far is the simple orc and lowly goblin, but for the most part only the stats. I've used the same goblin stat block, with only very slight changes, for three different cretures in one game. The players never realised, and just from how they've been used in the game if the cretures were to show up in a fight the players are terified of one variation while practicaly dismisive of another. :)

der_kluge said:
Just curiously wondering how (un)popular some of the monsters from MM are.

(this is a poll)

Achaierai - too silly
Allip - too silly, broken unless you use in groups (and against PCs who have magic weapons)
Animated objects - wonderful! Come on, put an adamantium chain behind a net!
Aranea - I think I encountered one as a PC, and might have used a variant when playtesting something. Cool but just don't seem worth their CR.
Athach - I've seen it, but I know nothing about it. I'd have to create my own ecology for it.
Delver - Lame in 3.0, never used in 3.5 despite not having crappy AC.
Destrachan - Used once. Wimpy. Refused to use its shatter objects ability.
Devourer - I vaguely recall seeing one once. It was probaby another type of monster, actually.
Giant Squid - No. Why is it attacking again?
Girallon - Yes. Encountered as a PC in a module. Vicious at its CR but has lame AC. Higher level parties can burn right through a bunch of them due to their low defenses.
Gorgon - used an advanced version. It would have been deadly if it didn't have a lame AC. I wish I had seen Wild Cohort before using it.
Nightshade (any) - Yeah, once. Burrowing nightcrawlers that cast Deeper Darkness and Pit Fiends with See in Darkness make a nasty combo.
Phasm - No. What's the point? Too much work. It sucks unless it polymorphs.
Rast - No. What's the point?
Tarrasque - Faced it once in 2e, once in 3e. The 2e version was a joke. We killed it in one round. The 3e version seemed like it was CR 22+, even when PCs "cheated" like everyone acting like they've been terrified of being swallowed for their whole adventuring career and equipping themselves accordingly. My cleric character just used Wind Walk.
Thoqqua - No. It does have a nice picture. I'd rather use xorns. Much nastier.
Tojanida - No... I think I used the air creature that's similar to it, though. Swimming creatures are just a PitA to use.
Unicorn - PCs summoned a bunch of them for healing and for their Magic Circle Against Evil when facing a vampire princess. They helped until the vampire Telekinesed the rogue out of the Magic Circle and forced him to sneak attack himself.
Will o'wisp - Surprised at how popular they are.
Yrthak - Used once or twice. They're not that impressive.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Y'know, I really like the Tojanida. Sure, it looks funky, but, it's a way cool critter to toss into an underwater fight. I actually replaced the lobstrocities in the Return to White Plume Mountain with Tojanida. Worked great.

While I haven't yet, I am working my way up to actually having a party dance with the Tarrasque. I've always wanted to and, in a few months, I should get my wish. Woot!

Remove ads