• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The popularity of monsters

Have you ever used or encounter these monsters?

• Achaierai

Votes: 37 14.3%
  • Allip

Votes: 106 40.9%
  • Animated objects

Votes: 165 63.7%
  • Aranea

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Athach

Votes: 59 22.8%
  • Delver

Votes: 27 10.4%
  • Destrachan

Votes: 77 29.7%
  • Devourer

Votes: 50 19.3%
  • Giant Squid

Votes: 79 30.5%
  • Girallon

Votes: 102 39.4%
  • Gorgon

Votes: 103 39.8%
  • Nightshade (any)

Votes: 83 32.0%
  • Phasm

Votes: 21 8.1%
  • Rast

Votes: 34 13.1%
  • Tarrasque

Votes: 50 19.3%
  • Thoqqua

Votes: 96 37.1%
  • Tojanida

Votes: 34 13.1%
  • Unicorn

Votes: 135 52.1%
  • Will o'wisp

Votes: 157 60.6%
  • Yrthak

Votes: 39 15.1%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 12 4.6%

der_kluge

Adventurer
Crothian said:
It might be interesting to go through modules and keep track of who many of what are used.

That would be interesting. I suspect demi-humans and undead would pretty much make up about 60% of all monster encounters.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Delver, destrachan, and phasm are the only ones I've never used or encountered on that list.

I can't believe nightshades are on that list, and krenshars aren't. :confused:

Shade

Monster Junkie
der_kluge said:
That would be interesting. I suspect demi-humans and undead would pretty much make up about 60% of all monster encounters.

I'll bet that elementals, demons, devils, and golems would also score high. They definitely make up a large percentage of encounters in my campaigns.

Ghendar

First Post
I ran an entire adventure with Aranea as the main villains. They had infiltrated an elven village and proceeded to murder and then replace each inhabitant.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I modified an Yrthak and threw it at my 1e group...lots of fun. :)

An interesting counter-poll (though I'm not sure how it'd work in a poll format, might have to just be a discussion) would be what are the most common monsters used as opponents in homegrown adventures.

Lanefan

ThirdWizard

First Post
I've recently come to like destrachans.

I love devourers. There's just something fun about seeing the PC writhing in its chest.

I used some allips a while back, and of course I've used many animated objects over the years.

eris404

Explorer
It's easier for me to say which ones I haven't used or encountered - and I actually made a mistake and forgot a couple on my answer. :)

Remove ads