• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The popularity of monsters

Have you ever used or encounter these monsters?

• Achaierai

Votes: 37 14.3%
  • Allip

Votes: 106 40.9%
  • Animated objects

Votes: 165 63.7%
  • Aranea

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Athach

Votes: 59 22.8%
  • Delver

Votes: 27 10.4%
  • Destrachan

Votes: 77 29.7%
  • Devourer

Votes: 50 19.3%
  • Giant Squid

Votes: 79 30.5%
  • Girallon

Votes: 102 39.4%
  • Gorgon

Votes: 103 39.8%
  • Nightshade (any)

Votes: 83 32.0%
  • Phasm

Votes: 21 8.1%
  • Rast

Votes: 34 13.1%
  • Tarrasque

Votes: 50 19.3%
  • Thoqqua

Votes: 96 37.1%
  • Tojanida

Votes: 34 13.1%
  • Unicorn

Votes: 135 52.1%
  • Will o'wisp

Votes: 157 60.6%
  • Yrthak

Votes: 39 15.1%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 12 4.6%

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
Phasms look very popular :)

In general i am a big fan of monsters, but i also realise that the artwork sways my opinion of a creature very much. The creatures i use are always those which (i beleive) have good artwork. Which is very biased, i know, but still... thats me, for good or bad.

Though i think i am not alone: most of the creatrures that (so far) have few votes are all creatures i tend to skip over in the MM (some like the phasm, i've never even read becasue of the artwork)

Shade said:
I can't believe nightshades are on that list, and krenshars aren't. :confused:
No!!! I love krenshar and all other canine/feline creatures (vorr, hellhounds, howlers etc). though i too am surprised that nightshades ar eon the list - I've never used them, thoat is purely circumstantial (wrong CR for my group or do not fit into adventure)

And to those who arent too keen on devourers, heres a very good piece of artwork depictig one (and a very cool-looking priest/mage)

Attachments

• Devouer1.jpg
    Devouer1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
From this list, I have used:

Achaierai
Gorgon
Thoqqua
Unicorn
and Will o'Wisp

Oh, and I forgot to vote for giant squid, which I have also used.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Of the list, I haven't used:
Athach
Devourer
Phasm
Tarrasque
Tojanda
Unicorn
Will o' Wisp

And I've been planning encounters with devourers and tojandas for a while now. I like a diverse monster palette, what can I say?

Demiurge out.

frankthedm

First Post
Achaierai I fealt this was a suilly monster back in the 1e fiend folio

Allip Oh yes, insane low powered haunt, just the ticket. Changed their permanent wisdom drain touch to temporary ‘drain’ though. Mentally contacting them does the permanent drain.

Animated objects So versatile and soo durable!

Aranea Kind of wimpy, but I intend to use them. I remember them from wayyyy back.

Athach Have not ruled them out, though I don’t plan on using them. I remember them from wayyyy back.

Delver Ehh, no thanks. Not in my campaign.

Destrachan Pretty silly, though I use their mini for mutant mounts.

Devourer One of these Devoured a Far Rælm Night hag in the Æther near B4:The Lost City and now looks like this…
Card19697.jpg

Giant Squid I build monsters off of this.

Girallon Here is the last page in an artist’s notebook I have made for a hand out in game
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/1130/glonstory1ri.gif

Gorgon I have them in my campaign, have not used ‘em yet though.

Nightshade (any) Working on their minis at the moment. The night walker and wing will be gargantuan. The Wing will also double for the Haunter of the Dark Nyarlathothep aspect.

Phasm Shape shift ooze, have no planned on it, might use the stats for a minor shoggoth.

Rast Ehh, no thanks. Not in my campaign.

Tarrasque Worshipped as a god by the insane. Lesser behemoths prowl the land as well.

Thoqqua Using the Grick mini with these stats for immature Cthonians.

Tojanida Ehh, no thanks. Not in my campaign.

Unicorn Yep, fantasy staple.

Will o'wisp Sort of, I use weaker variants that drain life from planescape.

Yrthak If I use this thing, it will look like a giant mutant bat, not pterodactyl.

Arnwyn

First Post
What I have and haven't used:

Achaierai - Yes
Allip - No
Animated objects - Yes
Aranea - Yes
Athach - Yes
Delver - No
Destrachan - No
Devourer - No
Giant Squid - Yes
Girallon - Yes
Gorgon - Yes
Nightshade (any) - No
Phasm - No
Rast - No
Tarrasque - No
Thoqqua - No
Tojanida - No
Unicorn - Yes
Will o'wisp - Yes
Yrthak - No

Heh... some stinkers (IMO) on that list.

Grymar

Explorer
I threw a bunch of animated furniture at my players once a few years back. They said it felt like they were stuck in a Disney movie. They hated me for weeks.

Kishin

First Post
Achaierai, Athach, Devourer, Giant Squid, Girallon, Gorgon, Nightshade for me.

Girallons pop up in a lot of published modules, so I'm not surprised to see them high in the polls. I want to include a yrthak in something now thanks to an excellent illustration of someone riding one in Tome of Battle.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I have to say I like this thread.

I have always thought it was cool that DMs have a kind of "monster palette" with certain monsters, versions of monsters or combinations of monsters that are staples in their campaigns - And of course, most of us have strong feelings about monsters that are too weird, silly or just don't fit our campaign concept.

Remove ads