The Portal

Berethani

Barely waiting for Rymus to finish his sentence, Berethani butts into the conversation -- waving one arm with a flourish while upon the other sits his raven familiar, its bright black eyes intently surveying the crowd.

I'm really liking this self-confidence, Berethani thinks to himself. Thank goodness I didn't stat myself out like I really am -- was -- on Earth!

"I have but a few more questions. First, what is the disposition of the human forces remaining in Lindor? How many are there? What is their morale -- do they fight with resolve against these Orc hoards, or have they all but given up? And who are their leaders?

"Second, how will we -- that is, those of us recently arrived from the planet we call Earth -- be organized? Surely not in one big mob, for if this is to be a military endeavor, then we will need a chain of command." At least, I think that's the phrase, Berethani thinks to himself, hiding his uncertainty under a veneer of ease. Bluff +6, if relevant.

"Third, to whom do we report once we reach Lindor? Are we to take orders from one of the leaders there?

"Fourth, given our exceptional abilities, why are we being tasked with the menial labor of rebuilding fortifications? Understand that I do not, personally, object to menial labor -- I simply find it unlikely that we will be any good at wall building. In my prior life, I was what we call a white-collar worker -- similar to a scribe in this world. And I have not taken on any knowledge of architecture or engineering in my transition here. So again I ask, why give us a task for which we are ill fitted?

"Fifth and finally, you mentioned that the souls of this world are somehow tied to the fate of ours. Why do these Orcs and other humanoids care about our world? Surely invoking an Ice Age on a different planet in a different universe and in such a circuitous manner is not what rouses an Orc from his lair in the morning."

This last sentence is meant as a grim joke, although as soon as he has said it, Berethani is unsure how funny it will seem to others.

Morgan Talthos

First Post
Standing against the back wall I listen to the peoples to best appraise what I am dealing with. For the most part as far as I could tell they were just scared and confused I couldn’t blame them I was shaking as well. I waited for the last person to ask his question before stepping forward. I walked up the room through the people and addressed Rymus.

“You want me to go to Lindor so be it.” I then turn to the rest of the crowd. “The only thing I needed to know was that this arch mage was strong enough to teleport us to a different world and rewrite our entire being. How big of a problem do you think were dealing with that the archmage can’t deal with this himself. If he Says he needs my help then I’m giving it to him”

I then turn back to Rymus “I need a map"

Maiu Tanta

First Post
after walking down the starts and lissioning to one of the people from this world stat why were here and what we would need to do. sitting down near the stairs Maiu hears a guy speak up and kind of saound like a jack-ass about what he heard and what he needs. once the guy was done Maiu stands up and walks up to the guy and ask " are you a jack-ass or are you just weird."

ferretguy

First Post
Hanging out in the crowd, looking around while the mage was speaking, Dorin smiles to himself as he thinks of the possible glory to be won...although rebuilding fortifications was not his paticular forte, his new found strength and endurance may just be what he would put to the test when his thoughts were broken...

Maiu stands up and walks up to the guy and ask " are you a jack-ass or are you just weird."

Frowning a bit..."Hey now Girl...thats no way of talkin to someone whos just tryin to find out whats going on in this world."

Endovior

First Post
Rymus responds.

"The Human forces remaining in Lindor are divided. Some are prepared to fight valiantly, defending the wall to the last. Their wall isn't as good as they think it is, but they're prepared to try. On the other hand, others pretend to support the first group while covertly planning an escape by sea when things go bad.

"You can organize yourselves as you wish. I only provide suggestions; your actions are yours to take. That being said, the typical pattern of organization is small, well-rounded groups of adventurers working together.

"You need not report to any one individual. As I said, your choices are your own. The only thing that we require is the payment of your debt, which you can do at any bank in Lindor. That being said, if you want someone to give you orders, there are any number of people who could give them to you. Lords abound in Lindor... they seem to have a knack for escaping from battles and forming embassies in safer lands... you can pick whichever one fits your personal tastes.

"I recommend the building of fortifications, but your main task in that is to clear out the ruins and keep the peasants safe. You see, there are at present too many people in Lindor for the walls to hold, and the poorer among them are forced to live in the ruins, a decidedly dangerous place. If you could keep them safe, you could probably task many of them with the boring physical jobs while you perform the more difficult task of fighting monsters.

"Finally, the Orcs do not know about your world, and they would not care if they did. Their present goal is the elimination of the Humans and Dwarves on Setna. They hate the Dwarves more, but the Humans are easier to kill, so they are focused on the easier prey."

Rymus turns to Morgan, who has just walked up to the stage.

"If you'd like a map, you can buy one in several of the local stores, as well as anything else you might need."

He looks around a moment, noting that the meeting is starting to break up into arguments.

"Any further questions?"

Jarval

Explorer
"So the orcs just want to kill everyone?" Astor persists. "Why? What do they get out of it? I'm assuming they're an intelligent species, so surely they must have motives beyond that?"

He glances over to the brewing argument with irritation, and makes his way over to speak to the three.

"Now then my friends, I don't think calling each other names will do any good. This gentleman here is just a little more vocally enthusiastic about pledging his allegiance to this cause than the rest of us. That's no reason to call the fellow a jack-ass, is it?" Astor smiles cheerfully at Maiu. (Diplomacy +10)

"Now, I do agree that we've been somewhat under prepared for this situation, but necessity is the mother of invention, and all that. We're just going to have to make the best of the situation, and who knows, these new bodies of ours might hold a few tricks up their sleeves..."

Ranger Rick

First Post
Endovior said:
Rymus responds.

....."You can organize yourselves as you wish. I only provide suggestions; your actions are yours to take. That being said, the typical pattern of organization is small, well-rounded groups of adventurers working together.

"You need not report to any one individual. As I said, your choices are your own. The only thing that we require is the payment of your debt, which you can do at any bank in Lindor. That being said, if you want someone to give you orders, there are any number of people who could give them to you. Lords abound in Lindor... they seem to have a knack for escaping from battles and forming embassies in safer lands... you can pick whichever one fits your personal tastes.

"I recommend the building of fortifications, but your main task in that is to clear out the ruins and keep the peasants safe. You see, there are at present too many people in Lindor for the walls to hold, and the poorer among them are forced to live in the ruins, a decidedly dangerous place. If you could keep them safe, you could probably task many of them with the boring physical jobs while you perform the more difficult task of fighting monsters.

....."If you'd like a map, you can buy one in several of the local stores, as well as anything else you might need."

He looks around a moment, noting that the meeting is starting to break up into arguments.

"Any further questions?"

Stands up, "Yes I have a lot of questions, nay reservations. You bring us in to fight the orcs et. al. yet you have no command structure? No wonder humans are easy pickings, you used all of your technology to bring over a mob. Mobs are dangerous and unpredictable and very inefficient. To maximize the resources we need to become one and fight as an army, not as separate bands. In the words of Lincoln, "Together we stand, divided we fall." I would think because the Lords of Linbdor know not of our existence we need not concern ourselves with our initial organization.

We need to form all of us into a fighting force first. Than we march on Lindor, and gather them under our command. Than we can rebuild the wall and go about destroying what wants to destroy us.”

Said in his former Sergeant command voice, "I want everyone who has construction experience or is an engineer to come up to the left front corner" Johnny points to it. "Everyone who is a mage go stand at the right front corner." Johnny points to that corner, "Now everyone who is a fighter go to the back wall and line up in a line.....Lets move people, we have a planet to save and being a mob will not get it done."

Berethani

Berethani is content to let someone else take charge of the situation, for now. He is still getting used to the idea that in this world, his force of personality -- the very thing that powers his spell-casting -- means he does not have to submit meekly to others.

However, for the time being, Berethani will do as Johnny the Dwarf asks. He heads for the right front corner, smiling at Astor as he passes, but frowning and shaking his head at Maiu, who seems to want to pick a fight. There will be plenty of Orcs to fight, so save your anger for them, Berethani thinks.

OOC:
OOC:
As best I can tell, we have the following PCs represented here. I've organized them by class.

Tyreus (screen name: same), human Barbarian
Dorin Ogresplitter (ferretguy), dwarf Barbarian

Morgan Talthos (screen name: same), human Fighter
Leonard Payne (Kerrz), human Fighter
Johnny (Ranger Rick), dwarf Fighter

Ansila (ghostcat), human Monk

Aelynn Dreamwanderer (Willow Aura), elf Wizardess

Maiu Tanta (screen name: same), human Sorceress
Berethani (Joshua Randall), human Sorcerer

Astor (Jarval), half-elf Bard

So we've got lots of beat-down capability (2 Bbn, 3 Ftr, 1 Mnk), solid arcane magic (1 Wiz, 2 Sor), and one supporting-type (Astor the bard) -- but no rogues or clerics. If I were dividing up this party, I'd make two groups of 5 PCs. I'd split up the Bbn's and Sor's, one to a group, and then, umm... not sure what to do after that.

But let's get organized here. I think Endovior would like us to stop asking questions and actually play, eh?

ghostcat

First Post
As the presentation goes on Ansila slums lower and lower in his chair. Not only do these guys have no plan, they also seem determined to rip us off. He thinks. You watch, they be charging us for our trip to Lindor next. Ansila holds up his hand and raises his voice so that he will be heard above various conversations that seem to have started up. "I have one final question. Exactly how do we get to Lindor"

Ranger Rick said:
Stands up, "Yes I have a lot of questions, nay reservations. You bring us in to fight the orcs et. al. yet you have no command structure? No wonder humans are easy pickings, you used all of your technology to bring over a mob. Mobs are dangerous and unpredictable and very inefficient. To maximize the resources we need to become one and fight as an army, not as separate bands. In the words of Lincoln, "Together we stand, divided we fall." I would think because the Lords of Linbdor know not of our existence we need not concern ourselves with our initial organization.

We need to form all of us into a fighting force first. Than we march on Lindor, and gather them under our command. Than we can rebuild the wall and go about destroying what wants to destroy us.”

Said in his former Sergeant command voice, "I want everyone who has construction experience or is an engineer to come up to the left front corner" Johnny points to it. "Everyone who is a mage go stand at the right front corner." Johnny points to that corner, "Now everyone who is a fighter go to the back wall and line up in a line.....Lets move people, we have a planet to save and being a mob will not get it done."

Observing that at least someone is organized, Ansila becomes more optimistic and quickly moves to the back wall. "Well, if the bumbling mages can't hack it we'll just have to do it ourselves." He mutters under his breath.

Ranger Rick

First Post
Seeing people slowly shuffle to a corner, Johnny moves to the gaggle still milling around the center. "Come on people this is not rocket science, are you a fighter a mage or more importantly a builder?" As he sees an indivudual not moving, he goes up to them and asks, "fighter, mage or builder." Based on their answer he turns them to a corner and moves them forward.

Johnny gets to the fighter area and asks, "Who has been in the military? ....What branch? We should swap stories in the future, now get these people to line up in rows, dress them if you have to."

Walking to the Mage corner, he extolls some more lollygaggers on the way. Upon reaching the mage group he states, "Who has been in the military? ....What branch? We should swap stories in the future, now get these people to line up in rows, dress them if you have to."

Repeats the routine when he goes to the construction corner.

OOC: I will post my thought on this organization in the OOC thread.

Remove ads