• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Printers Can't Handle WotC's One D&D Print Runs!

"Our print runs are pretty darn big" says Jeremy Crawford

15692108293125663812.jpeg

One of the reasons why the three new core rulebooks next year will not be released together is because D&D is such a juggernaut that the printers can't actually handle the size of the print runs!

Jeremy Crawford told Polygon "Our print runs are pretty darn big and printers are telling us you can’t give us these three books at the same time.” And Chris Perkins added that "The print runs we’re talking about are massive. That’s been not only true of the core books, but also Tasha’s Cauldron. It’s what we call a high-end problem."

Michael Linke

Adventurer
Why are we attacking @Micah Sweet's crowdfunding choices?!?!

He's not criticizing the model, just stating he prefers to back certain types of campaigns. What's wrong with that?!?!

There is a lot of disagreement in this and other threads right now, why do we have to go hunting for more reasons to snipe at each other?!?!

I also have become more cautious on what crowdfunding campaigns I back. I also try to back campaigns where product is ready or nearly ready to leave the warehouse (physical or digital). I too will often back at a digital only level. I too sometimes back campaigns where the products are not discounted and I could later purchase at retail. I realize crowdfunding "isn't a store" yadda-yadda . . . but i treat it as one, because it's my money and enjoyment on the line. So what?
I’m not attacking his choices, I’m just questioning why companies would use kickstarter when all they need to raise are printing costs. POD feels like a more efficient path. Kickstarter makes more sense when you need capital to to pay development expenses.

Upgrading dry rules text with color art and layout is a grey area.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I’m not attacking his choices, I’m just questioning why companies would use kickstarter when all they need to raise are printing costs. POD feels like a more efficient path. Kickstarter makes more sense when you need capital to to pay development expenses.

Upgrading dry rules text with color art and layout is a grey area.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. POD is MUCH more expensive than collecting a bunch of pledges and setting a proper print run. It would cost your "fans" much more for your book!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And point is if they want more they have to do somethkng to deserve it.
OK, let's say that WotC comes out with a new FRCS next year for the 2024 rules, Getz Ed Greenwood heavily involved, and it meets all your standards. How would a $70 USD or nigh $100 CAD price, similar to the 3E FRCS sit with you? Because that would just be keeping up with what they charged in 2001.

Remove ads

Remove ads